Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC - A mini report for a mini trip. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-a-mini-report-for-a-mini-trip-658552/)

radiofanatic Nov 13th, 2006 09:42 AM

NYC - A mini report for a mini trip.

I live in upstate NY and my best friend came to town so we spent a VERY LONG day in NYC. Left at 6 am by amtrak and got to NYC by 8:25 a.m. Left at 9:45 p.m. to get back home by 1 a.m. And yes, although exhausting, was an absolutely blast.

Started the day at the Stardust Diner for breakfast – 1650 Broadway, corner of Broadway and 51st, 212-956-5151. This is the place which had singing waiters/waitresses and was a fun place. It was great for a quick breakfast and was only a block away from Radio City Music Hall. Friend had bagel and fruit cup and I had egg white omelet and fruit cup. With two coffees, it was about $26.

We next went to the 10 am performance of the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall. Although I've lived in New York for 12+ years, I still hadn't gone to this show. We only went because I got discount tix ($20 plus fee). We literally had the VERY last row in the third mezzanine, center. I was very worried we couldn't see but the seats were amazing. We had a great view and I even got some great photos. I'm a gal that prefers the balcony over orchestra and I was very pleased. So, I wouldn't worry if you feel you got a seat very far back at this show because all seats seem great. If I can sit in the last row and love it, I wouldn't worry about other seats. The show itself was great, it even had a 3D movie; and at an hour and a half, not too long.

We next walked from 51st to 46th to go to lunch at my fave italian restaurant in NYC: Becco, 355 West 46th Street – walk to 46th street, take a right and then between 8th and 9th avenue, right side. I went here last year due to a Fodorite's recommendation and now won't go anywhere else for italian. I had their pasta special with antipasto and then three all you can eat pastas - this day, a mushroom ravioli, bolognase and another yummy pasta, a bottle of wine (all are only $25 each) and my friend had a tenderloin of beef with arugula (YUM!) and their most delicious bread. It was about $72 before tip and worth every penny.

We then waddled over to the to Broadway show “The Wedding Singer” – at 2 pm. - Al Hirshfeld Theater - 302 W 45th Street | between 8th & 9th Avenues, which we enjoyed very much. The theatre was smaller than I expected; and as usual, the seats VERY crowded. We had the balcony, middle 5th row and loved our seats. The show was great; however, if you are one who does not like swear words, you may not like this show as there were quite a few. I didn't care, but I wondered how the parents felt with children. I would totally recommend this show.

After the show, we walked back up broadway to go to the Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller Center. It's on the 67th floor and was stunning. There is also a surprise in the elevator on the way up which I won't spoil here, but it was really neat. We got $2 off coupons from Radio City, but it was still expensive at $18. I thought it was pricey; but we enjoyed the view. The only thing I didn't like was that the way they have the edge, you can't really see down at the streets below, you can only see out.

We then continued our walk (and looking at all of the purse street vendors - my friend bought 4 purses and by the end I told her if I saw one more purse I was going to scream) and we went to dinner at the Jeckyll and Hyde Club at 1409 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10019, 212.541.9505, on Avenue of Americas b/w 57th and 58th street, left side of street if walking north. For some reason she loves this place, and as it was her vacation, I let her choose. It is a four story restaurant that is like a haunted house with characters and monsters that entertain you while you eat. We had to wait in line to get in which took about 30 minutes, but once we were in, we got seated right away. Dinner was fine (I was still stuffed from dinner so I didn't eat much) and this would be a place kids were really love.

So all in all, a great, exhausting trip which my best friend loved. We got on our train at 9:45 p.m. and the next thing I knew, it was midnight and we were almost back to our station.

Thanks again to everyone who helped with advice!

GoTravel Nov 13th, 2006 09:49 AM

Good lord I'm exhausted just reading your report!

You really packed in a lot in just one day.

I think you win the award for the most productive day ever spent in NYC!

starrsville Nov 13th, 2006 09:49 AM

Sounds like a fabulous day! Thanks for sharing - especially all the details.

radiofanatic Nov 13th, 2006 11:12 AM

Thanks! It was fun and I got a lot of advice from here so the least I could do is write my report while I'm still recovering from my trip!

escargot Nov 13th, 2006 12:28 PM

you definitely win the award for a jam packed but fabulous day in the city ! and lots of good info -
I've been dying to try Becco too, also on fodorites recs, glad you enjoyed.

seetheworld Nov 13th, 2006 04:37 PM

I'm very impressed! How long did it take you to recover? :)

Thanks for posting. I love mushroom ravioli - I've never been lucky enough to get that at Beccos.

SandyBrit Nov 14th, 2006 02:57 AM

radiofanatic - Excellent.

You had a well thought out plan and you stayed with it. Thanks for sharing all the details, most helpful.

Sandy

mclaurie Nov 14th, 2006 04:00 AM

How to spend a weekend in NYC in a day! Great job!

radiofanatic Nov 14th, 2006 05:00 AM

thanks again - we were supposed to go to Cooperstown the next day but were too exhausted to do it! :)