Search

NYC 911 Memorial Museum day trip handicap and teens

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2019, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC 911 Memorial Museum day trip handicap and teens

Hello,
I am looking for guidance in planning a day trip (2 hour drive) to the 911 Memorial and Museum. It would be a group of 6-8 people. Two are elderly: one with a walker, also 2 teens age 13 and 15 and 2 other adults. Our main intent is to visit the 911 Memorial and museum. This will be in March or April on a Saturday or Sunday. Arrival around 10 am and departing at 4pm. Is this manageable for an elderly person with a walker considering parking/drop off and walking the museum? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions or a review of the museum area that would be helpful for planning? Are there any decent eating places within walking distance? Is 10 am -4pm too long for this? What else could we do during this short day trip close by.....
THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 09:00 AM

I went to the museum last fall. My driver could not pull up to the front of the building because the street is blocked off to vehicle traffic. The walk was about a half block to the entrance. You will stand in lines outside and they can be long at times. You may want to call to see if they have procedures for that have walking issues. Inside, the museum is not huge and has many benches for sitting. Does your person have one of the walkers with a seat. That may be helpful.

Across the street is a huge mall with many dining options. It was pouring rain that morning so I did not look for other dining options in the area.

I spent about 3 hours inside the museum. I took the early morning tour and did not have to wait in line so I cannot tell you how long that would take. I think that it would depend on the day.

This was a great experience.
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 07:34 AM

The museum website indicates special access available: https://www.911memorial.org/visit/about/accessibility