Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NY Weather for Saturday (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ny-weather-for-saturday-380544/)

ParrotMom Dec 4th, 2003 10:51 AM

NY Weather for Saturday

Planning on being in NYC for theatre and dinner on Saturday...what is the weather forcast and should I forget about coming and loose $$$ (tickets to play not refunable)

GoTravel Dec 4th, 2003 10:58 AM

I don't understand, are you driving in? Can you take the train? Is it an overnight trip?

Millions of New Yorkers brave inclement weather all the time and manage to pull off dinner and a show.

Is someone with you that is infirm? I don't think I'm understanding the question.

Ryan Dec 4th, 2003 11:00 AM

You may want to go to someplace like Yahoo's weather site or the weatherchannel.com as that'll be much more informative.

HowardR Dec 4th, 2003 11:05 AM

Hey, ParrotMom, coming from Boston, you shouldn't let a little snow stop you!
If you're driving, you may have some problems, based on the forecast. Check the Weather Channel website for specifics.

missjanna Dec 4th, 2003 11:07 AM

According to the noaa.gov website, snow is likely and it's going to be a high of 40, low of 21 with windy with winds up to 35mph.

ParrotMom Dec 4th, 2003 11:15 AM

We are supposedly taking a chartered bus (probably no seat belts) from the Route 495 area (just heard 6" of snow) and the thoughts of being on the highway during that period is giving me second thoughts... is the $$$ more important or my peace of mind...Yes, we are not infirmed, but seniors... Parrot Pop is thinking of loosing the $$$ rather than taking a chance.

missjanna Dec 4th, 2003 11:25 AM

Parrotmom, I would say, just go. I remember a while back where they predicted a snowstorm and nothing happened!!

doc_ Dec 4th, 2003 11:28 AM

I am in a similar situation this weekend and if you are leaving Saturday,just wait to see how this weather unfolds and make your decision then. I don't think the forcast is really complete yet for this snowfall.

GoTravel Dec 4th, 2003 11:30 AM

parrotmom, for six inches of snow, I'd go. They do a great job of keeping the interstates clean and those tour buses are heavy. If the tour company is going, I'd go.

Now if we were talking 12 inches, I would stop and think about it.

LoriNY Dec 4th, 2003 11:33 AM

I'm in the same boat, but I'm coming in anyway. I'm not happy about the weather, but I'm not about to lose $200 in ballet tickets. maybe we won't be walking from Lincoln Center to the tree, but there are subways. ParrotMom, I say see the play

ParrotMom Dec 4th, 2003 11:42 AM

Decision has been made......we live next to Route 495 and those of you who know MA know we are in a "snowbelt"...and have decided not to go...best part is that we will get a refund on our tickets...they hadn't been processed yet...We were to leave at 5:30a.m. which didn't give us too much time to make a decision.. Oh yes...we have flakes outside right now..lol Will get the snow blower ready. thanks for letting me bounce it off of my Fodorites...

HowardR Dec 4th, 2003 12:22 PM

Knowing that you'll get a full refund, you've made the right decision.

Treck Dec 4th, 2003 06:54 PM

The latest forecast is for 6-10 inches of snow in The City.

Travelegs Dec 5th, 2003 04:10 AM

Thanks to everyone who helped else with another post about our weekend in NY. Looks like we're going to have to ditch all the plans because of this weather. Just the thought of having to dig out a car where we leave it near the train station is beginning to play on our minds. Would have loved to have seen the opera.

ParrotMom Dec 5th, 2003 04:54 AM

Last night the snow amounts were upgraded...this morning it seem they have downgraded the amounts...What is this with the weather forcasters and all the equipment on tv they brag about..lol that's okay...better safe than sorry...besides the Halloween Scarecrow and cornstalks have to come down..lol

HowardR Dec 5th, 2003 05:26 AM

ParrotMom, around here (in New York, they've upgraded the amount expected--6-12 inches, with the bulk coming on Saturday. Don't regret your decision to cancel!

ParrotMom Dec 5th, 2003 06:09 AM

It will be fun watching the Dolpins playing in the snow against the Patriots... guess they will have the famous mini plow on hand...lol..No,I don't regret cancelling..Parrot Pop just went out to get gas for the snowblower

bennnie Dec 5th, 2003 06:54 AM

ParrotMom - I'm watching the weather too. Got tickets for the Irish Tenors at the Lowell Auditorium Sat night. Was really looking forward to it. DH says we'll go no matter what - he's driving so its his call (sort of). We're up on the northern end of 495 so its only a hald hour drive. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

I think you made the right decision about not going. Chances are you would be stuck on the bus for an extra couple of hours putting dinner and the theater at risk. It would get pretty darn uncomfortable after awhile. And then you have to make your way home in a mess too. The theater isn't going anywhere. You can always get down to NY.

Scarlett Dec 5th, 2003 07:08 AM

Little snow flakes are drifting down. Have a warm safe weekend!

Pat2003 Dec 5th, 2003 07:29 AM

We are leaving for St. John, USVI from Newark on Saturday
No way we are going to cancel this trip!