Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NY Hotel - Feeling like "The Village Idiot", SOS!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All. First time posting here... spending many many hours on the net searching my mouse arm off to find a hotel for my husband and I for a romantic but budget-savvy trip to Manhattan this spring, and this site seemed to have the most intelligent and specific advise from people who've actually stayed in hotels they recommend - what a concept! Please if you have the time, offer advise on what would work for us:
We want to spend about 10-14 days in NY, with activities like: Algonquin lecture series, the Met for a couple of full days w/lunch there then a stroll down Madison Ave., Central Park often, the Village, Soho, China Town... what we won't spend time doing: Empire State Building tour, Statue of Lib tour, theater, or Macys/Bloomingdales. I was foolishly hoping that I could find a hotel room (or Bed Breakfast that still allows for a sense of privacy) that is either attractively sleek or old world. What I am afraid I will have to settle on is floral bedspreads, drab little spaces with no appeal. I know... I want too much! Its just that this is his first trip there, and I wanted to find something with a little style. Can anyone recommend a search site or specific hotel options? Several of the search sites like hotel.com have many good looking options, until I type in my dates, then a 200 dollar room suddenly becomes a 495 room. We're able to travel more weekdays than weekends, since rooms are cheaper on weekdays, and want to find a room for under 240ish tax included. Also, some hotels tell me tax is 18 percent, others under 14. ?? I am so dazed from searching... HELP?!

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:21 PM

You said "Spring." Do you have specific dates, month, or time range in mind?
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Have you seen this place? Not sure whether they'd meet your standards for privacy and nonfloral bedspreads.

IIRC, the tax rate is lower for rentals longer than 7 nights.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Ooops, sorry. THIS place:

http://www.countryinnthecity.com/
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:29 PM

You said that you want to spend 10-14 days in NYC. Approximately when?

Look on www.quikbook.com for good prices.

If you are planning to stay for 14 days, it might make sense for you to rent an apartment. It's usually much cheaper than a hotel, and you'll get to live like a NYer and have a kitchen, etc.

Look on www.craigslist.com, and I'm sure others can suggest good rental sites for you.

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Like Lizzie, I was also going to suggest an apartment. You can also look on www.wrbo.com. If you are going during spring break, the prices always jump up-I know because this is often when I have to go because of daughter's school schedule.

What is your budget? What part of the city would you prefer to stay in? Some friends of mine had a great deal on an apartment through vrbo. I will see if I can find it and send you the link.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

I've looked at quickbook.com, but while many hotels look great and affordable, when I actually plug in dates (trying different ones to see if there is a season-price shift) I get much higher prices.
We were hoping to go somewhere around April 30th or a few days later and stay for 10-14 days. I am assuming that the closer we get to Memorial Day the more expensive, so somewhere around the first couple of weeks in May. I'll check out the "contry" link right now! Once we find a hotel and confirm, we will go after air.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:51 PM
hdm

Try the Hotel Giraffe (part of the 4-hotel HK Group) and the other three in that group. The Hotel Giraffe was beautiful. The location was a little quiet for us (Park and 29th) but easy walking to everywhere.

Also try preferredboutiques.com.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Have you looked at the Washington Square Hotel in Greenwich Village? We've stayed there several times, and always liked it a lot. Very European feel. Cool location. Good prices.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:26 PM

I agree that for a stay of 10-14 days it makes most sense to have an apt. type set up but that can be accomplished either by staying in an apt/hotel (there are now many) or a regular apt. (vacation rental). An apt/hotel will give you the benefits of both (daily maid, front desk/concierge + more space and a kitchen). It does appear prices are high late April/early May and I'm not sure your theory that the closer to Memorial Day prices will be higher. In fact, you might find prices better around the holiday weekend.

Hotel tax is about 15%. It's complicated b/c there are several taxes plus room fees that are fixed daily but it all amounts to about 15%. At that time of year, you're looking at budget type places that will fill up quickly.

Affinia.com is a group of 7 all suite hotels that are quite good. Sometimes there are specials for them on travelzoo.com but usually closer to your travel date.

There are also some "inns" (like the one annonymous mentions but less expensive) that have accomodations like apts. in townhouses. Wymanhouse.com is a lovely one on the upper westside. Jacksbandb.com is a budget option in that area. 1871house.com is near Bloomingdales just on the edge of midtown/upper east side.

The Surrey Hotel is one of the Affinia hotels that's very close to the Met Museum (and many of the other museums). If their price is anywhere near affordable, you might phone them and see if you can negotiate the price down.

There's an apt. that goes for about $200/night at greenwichvillagehome.com
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Here is the link I was telling you about. The apartment is on w.47th Street between 8th and 9th. Although it is close to the theater district, it is a very quiet street. During Spring Break, my friends with their two sons stayed at this apartment. I was staying at the Belvedere Hotel one block over on 48th street. I had the opportunity to see the apartment and thought it was very nice. There are grocery stores close by as well as lots of smaller restaurants on 9th Ave. According to my friends, about the only downside of the apartment was climbing the stairs with their luggage!
I don't think you can beat the price of $190 a month. I also saw a few other apartments in this price range on vrbo. Also do a search for B&B type places in Manhattan. I know there was been several threads on this in the past.

www.vrbo.com/18910

Again, if you let us know your budget per night, we can help you more.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Sorry, just saw that you wanted to spend around $240 including tax. So $190 a night with 15% tax would be around $220.

There is a small subway stop at 8th and 50th or you can walk to the 42nd street subway stop to get all the lines.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

I tried the Washington Square Hotel after seeing your post just now. The photos on one site looked dreadful, BUT the renovated rooms were just fine! They have NO availability for the month of MAY! At least that is what they "think" as the reservation desk is closed at 4pm EST, so I'll have to call back tomorrow and see. The Village location in general is so very wonderful for us, if we can find something.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

I'm confused about tax... I keep hearing that the tax is considerably less for over 7 nights stay. Is this correct? I've seen 5% listed on two B&B websites if you stay over 7 nights. I appreciate EVERYONE's kind help here... check messages as I can between clients at work.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:41 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I didn't think they were "dreadful," Madeleine, either the older rooms or the newer ones -- but I guess I'm just so happy to be in a reasonably charming place in a great part of a great city! We also are very comfortable with European-style places. I.e., maybe not so up-to-date, but charming. I hope it works as well for you as it has for us ... don't blame me if you don't like it, though!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

LucieV - Oh I SO APPRECIATE your input. You know, part of our desire for a more sleek and deco or modern style is that we live in a 1908 house full of old world charm, old fashioned etc... and part of what makes a vacation great at times is to experience a different world that one's day to day. Though we'll visit with gleee much of the old historic parts of NY, it is delightful for us to experience the more "urban" style. On the of the forums, a local NY person said it best: people usually don't want peace and quiet and melow and old fashioned when they come to NY, they want to taste a bit of the more chick urban crazy energetic vibe that is part of a vibrant city. It is all relative... for us, it is about a change from our more old fashioned daily lives. Some people would hate the all white sleekness of some hotels that are modern - we just love it. I won't blame you... I will celebrate how nice it was to get a recommendation from you. I appreciate it - either way!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 07:27 PM

If you like the idea of an apartment but don't want a fifth floor walkup like the one suggested above, but rather a top notch high rise luxury building look at this site. The apartment is $225 a night (including any tax). It is really very, very nice, and has spectacular views. The problem is not being booked, but there are still quite a few openings in March; there is a calendar to click to check.

http://www.bigapplegetaway.com/
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 07:33 PM

Sorry, I didn't see your post where you said May, I was just working on spring. I see the apartment I menioned has a 10 day opening though in late May, and a one week opening in early May.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Patrick-I am glad you posted about that apartment because I knew you had stayed in one you liked during some of your visits. I was going to mention it but didn't want to speak for you so glad you gave the link. The poster has never really gotten back about the idea of an apartment although I know if I was staying some place for 7-10 days, that's the way I would go.

Seems like the OP is interested in the Village, Soho area but I did see a couple of apartments in that area on vrbo. I am sure other rental sites have apartments in that area.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:31 PM

If prices work out for you at the Belvedere, I would definitely second that suggestion. We've had clients from other countries stay there and quite like it.

If SoHo/Village doesn't work out, I'm wondering if you might be able to rent an apartment in Brooklyn Heights. The walk over the bridge to get into lower Manhattan is fun and scenic. I really think you'd get a kick out of Brooklyn Heights with the architecture and all that goes on. I hang out there sometimes on the weekends and don't feel like I'm missing anything by not being "in" Manhattan. It's also only 2 stops away by subway.

I wouldn't normally recommend that but I think it may fit the bill if you can't find something you're happy with price-wise in the city. It's not like you'll only be here for 3 nights, after all. Keep us posted!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -