Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NY Hotel Advice: first time (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ny-hotel-advice-first-time-367458/)

MadisonV Jan 9th, 2004 04:38 PM

NY Hotel Advice: first time

Going to New York with my husband and daughter end of March for the first time. Not sure where to stay since I have never been to New York before. Looking at The Benjamin, St Regis or New York Palace. I am leaning towards The Benjamin, any advice would help.
Want to make this a great family trip,
planning on a broadway play (Rent), lots of sightseeing and shopping.

Patrick Jan 9th, 2004 07:26 PM

The only possible reason I can think of not to choose St. Regis over the other two is because I'm sure it's a lot more money. It is a fabulous hotel. The other two are fine, but not in the same ball park as the St. Regis.

almesq Jan 9th, 2004 07:36 PM

If price is not an issue, as Patrick said, it's hard to beat the St. Regis, one of the world's truly outstanding hotels. Location is outstanding as well.

Tandoori_Girl Jan 10th, 2004 08:05 AM

I had a friend who stayed at the Benjamin and she loved her room. She said it was a nice size.

brooklyngal Jan 10th, 2004 08:11 AM

Another vote for the St. Regis - eveything about it is simply sublime. The other two are very nice, but lag well behind.

GoTravel Jan 10th, 2004 09:26 AM

St. Regis no comparison.

Interesting little piece of trivia, the St. Regis is where Gulliani shacked up with his now wife Judy Nathan while married to Donna Hanover.

PR for the St. Regis leaked that information and was immediately fired.

MadisonV Jan 10th, 2004 10:09 AM

I just tried to book St Regis and they only have rooms for two of our 4 day visit. So I guess I need to re-group.
The Palace and The Benjamin are my next
choices, any differences with the two?
Its hard to decide when I really do not
know the area.

itswoody Jan 10th, 2004 10:33 AM

In that price range also try the Peninsula or the Ritz Carlton by Central Park.

eliztrav Jan 12th, 2004 09:30 AM

I've stayed at the Palace and the St. Regis. As the latter is now off your list, let me say the Palace is a lovley hotel with a superb location if you want to be near Saks Fifth Avenue, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral.

Their rooms are roughly divided into three groups (I don't remember the exact names they use): the regular, the executive, and the most lux towers. I stayed in the executive area, which included a buffet breakfast (in a designated area). The room had lovely traditional decor, all the amenities, a very nice & spacious bathroom, a terific midtown view. The room was spacious. Service was very good. A portable CD stereo system was provided upon our request. The public spaces are beautiful and traditional (not the ultramodern like the 4 Seasons. I was impressed with the everpresent but unobtrusive security.