Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NY for october anniversary - catskills? hudson valley? finger lakes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all - hopefully someone can give me an opinion about where to spend our 7 year anniversary so that we don't get the 7 year itch!!! we need accomodations in an area with things to do (like hiking, sitting by a lake and reading, going to a winery,etc.) i guess this describes much of the areas, but we need a direction as to a hotel/resort. it is for a weekend only, so don't mind maying a little extra - THANKS
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Come on...nobody has ANY opinions???!!!
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Patience young Skywalker! First tell us where you are coming from? If you can make it up to Lake Placid for the weekend, that is my recommendation. Stay at the Mirror Lake Inn and make reservations at the Dining Room. The location is stunning and the service is excellent. The finger lakes area would also be lovely - look into the Geneva on the Lake Resort on Seneca Lake.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:14 AM

We stayed in the Big Moose Inn near Old Forge in the Adirondacks and LOVED it. They have a website, I would check it out.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Agreed that patience is not a strong suit! also agreed that the area both of you speak of is gorgeous - have camped there - even did the bobsled run - FUN! however, we are in philadelphia and need a place closer - we blew the budget this summer in greece, so we are trying to drive somewhere
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 12:04 PM

What about the Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz, NY? I have never been there but I saw it featured on Great Hotels and it looks incredible. It would probably be a 3 hr drive.

www.mohonk.com
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 01:13 PM

What part of October? Since the first half of the month coincides with the peak of the foliage season in the Hudson Valley/Catskills area, you may already be too late for any decent accommodations during that period.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

believe it or not, it is for next weekend - we decided that instead of gifts, we would go somewhere - checked out Mohonk Mountain House, as suggested - gorgeous!!! but, sadly, booked....any ideas - we don't need totally amazingly fabulous, just clean, nice, good location....
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:24 PM

At this late date, you're going to have a difficult time finding much of anything. Not only is it foliage season, but next weekend is a 3-day holiday weekend (Columbus Day) which further diminishes your chances of finding much of anything.
The best suggestion I can think of is to do a google search on a topic like
"hotels and B&Bs in the Catskills" or you might change the word "Catskills" and do searches in various New York counties in that area--Ulster, Sullivan, Orange, Greene and Columbia are five that come to mind.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:59 PM

Why not check out luxurylink.com I found a few things under weekend getaways that sound great but I know nothing about some of the places.

There's something at Inn at New Berlin in New Berlin, Pa., http://www.luxurylink.com/index.phtm...l.phtml?id=767

This 3 night stay at the Maidstone Arms in East Hampton would be awesome. It's one of my favorite places.

http://www.luxurylink.com/index.phtm...l.phtml?id=767

You just have to make sure there's availability on your dates before bidding. Once you bid and win, it's yours.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 04:04 PM

I have stayed at the Inn at New Berlin since it is close to my daughters college (Bucknell University). While a very nice Inn I don't think its the standard that you'll want. As my kids say, its in East BumbleF__k, PA. No views to speak of, or winerys. I was going to suggest Mohonk but since its booked you might continue to look around the Finger lakes.