SaltLakeCity Airport news report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

USA Today reported that at SaltLake City airport about 190 passengers per day on the average try to take nonpermitted items (potential weapons) on the planes. The report said many were pocketknives etc. The report said that many people just forget what they have in their carryons. OK, no shock there even though we have all been told and warned over and over what is and what is not permitted.

BUT than the report went on to say that some passengers had tried to carryon chain saws and cans of gasoline!!

Chain saws and cans of gasoline?????

Anyone have any good ideas why flyers would think they need these two items?

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:03 AM

Maybe they were on their way to hurricane ravaged areas to help? I know both were in short supply in VA after Isabel.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:12 AM

Chainsaw, yes. Gas, no. Chainsaw without gas in unit. Was he wearing a 3 piece suit?
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 09:40 AM

I think some of those people come down out of the hills where they have not yet heard of 9/11. Or perhaps they think it was a one time event and all the danger has passed.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 09:55 AM
jor

It does not suprise me because many people are backpackers and campers. These people need things as every day objects which other travelers would never need. Jack knives, forks, butane, matches, tent steaks, etc. They ought to know that these are banned now, but that is what they have carried onboard for years.

BTW it is not only Salt Lake. And yes, there really was a passenger who tried to carry on a chain saw last winter.

What erks me is that the tobacco industry successfully lobbied the FFA to allow matches and lighters so smokers whould not be inconvienienced. upon arrival!!!!