NY december: which show Broadway??

Oct 4th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

NY december: which show Broadway??

Hi!! I'll be going with my husband to ny in december (just 3 days) and I wanted to get tickets for a musical in broadway: any suggestion? we've been to Mamma Mia, Jersey Boys, Tarzan, Phantom of the Opera, Miserables...
I was thinking of trying Billy Elliot or Wicked...
any new musical worth going to??
what about the beatles RAIN? is it good?
which one is the current number one??
THANKS!!!!!
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:30 AM

I have seen both Billy Elliot and Wicked. Liked Billy Elliot alot and loved Wicked. Not sure that my husband would have liked Billy Elliot, he did see Wicked and liked it, but I think it appeals more to women. There are probably musicals that would appeal more to both of you. If you love the Beatles, Rain is also very good.
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:53 AM

Look at Playbill's grosses to see who is #1 (Wicked, still at 100% after years in the biggest theatre on Broadway).

I'm a big Wicked fan, but loved Million Dollar Quartet. It appeals to a lot of men too.
Oct 4th, 2010, 09:17 AM

I adore Wicked. I thought Billy Elliot was good.
Oct 4th, 2010, 09:48 AM

The Beatles show hasn't opened yet. Spiderman will be in previews when you're here and that's what I'd go for. My other pick would be "In the Heights". Wicked is probably still #1 but I don't think it's a guy's show.
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

mclaurie!! I didn't know about the spiderman musical!! I've just red about it and it sounds perfect!! with bono music!!!
I can't find the mail of the theatre to contact them directly! For me at least contacting the theatre directly seems to work better and get better seats! anyone can find it??
I hope there are good seats available for those days!!!
thanks!!!
Oct 5th, 2010, 03:31 AM

You cannot contact the theater directly for tickets except in person. When you go on line or on the phone, you're actually dealing with Ticketmaster or Telecharge.
Oct 5th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

what do you think is better as it's a theatre I don't know (the old Hilton theatre)
to be centre at row +/- 14
to be very sided but at row 2 (this is what the website lists as "best available")
what do you think????
Oct 5th, 2010, 05:41 AM

Since it's a "big" spectacle, I'd opt for the seat that's further back. You certainly won't totally appreciate the show's splendor up close.
Oct 5th, 2010, 06:02 AM
TC

You cannot purchase tickets directly from a NY theater other than in person. You must deal with TicketMaster or Telecharge for advance sales.

The Hilton theater (now the Foxwoods) is a real barn. We saw Young Frankenstein there from about the 14-15th row on the side (Row P). The center section was completely empty, so we moved across the aisle at intermission. They were good seats. Saw 42nd Street in house seats, Row L, on the aisle and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang from the first row of the Mezz (which overhangs Row T). Our Spiderman tickets for January are Orchestra, Row M. I would always pick something more toward the middle of the theater as the sound is better than on the sides. I also agree the Row 2 is too close for a big show like this one. Given that Spiderman may "fly", the front of the Mezz might be an excellent choice.
Oct 5th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! The mezzanine seats available are also very sided... The orquestra seats available were on line Q
Oct 5th, 2010, 11:24 AM

What are the exact seats being offered and on what date? Have you tried PHONING to speak to a live person at ticketmaster?
http://www.playbill.com/images/seati...E664AC0C22.gif
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:15 PM
TC

I agree with Mclaurie. The Ticketmaster site is hard to manipulate for good seats. Phone their 800 number and speak with an agent to ask for specific seats. Have your seating chart ready to look at while you talk to them.

This is going to be such a big show, I think the Row Q Orchestra tickets might be just fine. Keep in mind that Front Row Mezz is equal to Orchestra Row T, so Row Q is much better.
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi!! It's done!! I called an got the like Q seats!! Front rows were premium ones and i frankly can't afford 300 each one... I'm really looking foward to it!! Thanks mclaurie for telling me about this show!!I hadn't even heard about it!!!
Oct 9th, 2010, 02:42 AM

Just back from my NYC trip (trip report will be forthcoming when I get my bearings back). But I did want to comment about Broadway shows. We actually saw FIVE of them (much more than we had planned - thank you TKTS)!!

So...... I hope I don't get flamed for this and please remember that everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it..... but we really really really did NOT like Wicked at all. The only good thing about it were our seats!! Too bad indeed..... The two we loved the most were Billy Elliot and La Cage aux Folles. Excellently done, sung, and acted, Next to Normal was also well done, although the theme leaves something to be desired (a woman who gets mentally sick after her son dies). We also saw West Side Story and it was only so-so. I will post more about other things as well when I can get around to it.
Oct 9th, 2010, 04:04 AM

Flame123, you are not alone in your criticism of Wicked. We are of the same opinion. (Fear not, I've never been really flamed for stating so on the forum!)
Oct 9th, 2010, 08:26 AM

HowardR - so happy I am not alone. I really thought that something must be "wrong" with me (and my husband and my 20 year old who saw it with me) since "how can everyone BUT me (and they) love it so much that they are all sold out for so many years?" To each his own, as they say.
Oct 9th, 2010, 08:51 AM
TC

Flame, I loved Wicked - but I had read the book and saw the show many years ago with the original cast. Entertainment is very personal, which is why its so hard to make recommendations for others. Of your list, I loved La Cage and really hated Billy Elliot -- go figure. To each his own. Happy you enjoyed your trip and your shows.
Oct 9th, 2010, 10:01 AM

I don't know your ages, but my wife & I loved ROCK OF AGES and we enjoyed AMERICAN IDIOT.

(My parents wouldn't enjoy either of them, however.)
Oct 9th, 2010, 12:26 PM

PS to Flame: We also loved both Billy Elliot and La Cage Aux Folles.
PS to TC: Entertainment is indeed personal. We saw the original cast in Wicked and still didn't like it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO