Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NY Christmas- is it necessary to book restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!
I think i've read most of the posts here regarding New York and from all the wonderful posts i've found tons of things to do, see, visit etc!
I don't know exactly what we will be able to do in 8 days and as we don't like to plan ahead and just enjoy walking, eating and generally strolling...!
Anyway, my question regards restaurant reservations. Do you think it's necessary to book ahead? We don't really like booking restaurants in advance because we may not be in a mood one day or see something along the way that we like and prefer to go there.
We'll be there on Christmas time and that's my only concern regarding availabilities etc.
Do NYorkers always book ahead? For example will i find a table if i book it the same day for the evening?
And one last question..even though we prefer contemporary decor, i really like the photos of One if by Land.. is it as romantic as it seems on the website? What about the age range?
thanks!!!
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM
GoTravel

If you want to eat at any of the name restaurants, you absolutely must book a reservation.

For places like delis, pizza joints, diners, Chinatown, Little Italy, etc, no you don't but anywhere else, yes.

Even places like Becco and Carmines require reservations.

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Which are the 'peak hours' that by walking in you'll definitely won't find a table?
Usually we lunch between 2.30-3.30pm and dinner 8.30-10.00p.m. Do we have a bigger chance of finding a table at that time?
Also do you have any suggestions for nice restaurants (not japanese please) with nice decor and of course nice food but not extremely expensive? For example from their websites i like the look of 'il bastardo', 'tribeca grill', aboccato, rayuela.. but we have no idea how they really are, or the food.. you get the idea!
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Christmas week is the busiest tourist week of the year. When I worked in midtown I tried not to venture out. Tourist and non-tourist restaurants are packed. There will streets that will be literally impassable. Reserve where they take reservations.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 09:51 AM

For local, neighborhood places you don;t have to book except for special days.

For more upscale restaurants you should book at least the day before - more for a Friday or Saturday night.

For a truly trendy/popular restaurant you need to find out when they start accepting bookings (often 30 days in advance) and book that day as soon as the phone lines open.

Esp around the holidays restaurants are full- and if you don;t book in advance you'll be shut out - except for casual neighborhood places.

As for One if by land - it has many fans. We're not in that group - find it kind of tired. But it depends on what you want. For restaurants of this type you MUST book in advance - preferably at least a week or more.

Dinner at 8 is prime time. Lunch hours vary be restaurant. Some casual places serve all day - and you can eat then. Many upscale restaurants close between lunch and dinner - and won;t serve after 2:30 or so.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 11:47 AM

In the theater district (west 40's-50's) the busiest times are lunches on matinee days (Wed/Sat/Sun-but during the holiday, schedules may change and there may be more matinees) and dinners pre theater (5-7:30) and post theater (10 pm +). But b/c there are also lots of hotels in the theater district, the most popular places will also be busy during theater hours. Every place is busy at holiday time.

Agree that prime dinner hour for NYers is ~ 8-8:30 but the young trendy places are busy later too. Best bet is if there's some place you HAVE to try, book that. It's easier to cancel if you/'re not in the mood than try to get in if you are. Tribeca Grill is very trendy so that should be booked. If you mean Abboccato in the Blakely hotel, I've seen it very quiet and I've also seen it mobbed (when something popular is playing across the street at City Center). Food is good, not outstanding. I think in the same general area, ViceVersa is better.

One if By Land has been resting on reputation more than anything else. It is a pretty space, but food is not the best NY has to offer. Have a look at the Place.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 11:54 AM

One other thing to consider during the holidays are holiday dinners and company holiday parties which sometimes mean the entire restaurant is booked.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!
Mclaurie you're right, we can book the restaurants we would like to go and cancel them later so.. better safe than sorry
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 05:06 AM

One word of caution about booking in advance during peak times: Make sure you can give them a phone number where you can be reached the day of or day before your reservation. If you don't call them to reconfirm, they may call you. And, if they can't reach you to reconfirm, they just might cancel your reservation.
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 03:24 PM

The theatre district is busy every night except when the theatres are dark.

Even for New York, Christmas week is crowded.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 04:51 PM

opentable.com and www.zagat.com are helpful sites for Ny dining
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 12:39 AM

One if by Land has a new chef,the article is posted on zagat.com.It will definitely be interesting to try it again.I always liked this restaurant but have not been there in years.