NY Broadway Shows-Wicked

Search

NY Broadway Shows-Wicked

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY Broadway Shows-Wicked

I found some tickets to Wicked on Broadwaybox.com but they are expensive. They start at 180 and go up from there for the Orchestra and Front Mezzanine. The cheapest I could find is 102 for the Rear Mezzanine last row. Is this show that amazing? Is there some other way to get cheaper tickets like maybe on the day of the show? We do have 5 of us. That just seems like so much money when I see discounts for alot of the other shows. We plan on seeing shows all three nights we are there. I think this is a show we all should see as I am the one planning the trip. One does not have alot of money so if I talk her into this show I want it to be great. Broadwaybox.com has alot of discounts listed for many shows. Has anyone seen any shows recently that can comment. I have to pick three
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:55 AM

Most people on here seem to love it. Personally, I thought it was very good, but not really memorable, and far from the best musical I've ever seen. I liked the story, and the acting, costumes and staging much much more than I cared for the music.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM

My daughter and I saw Wicked when it first came to Broadway. We enjoyed it, but "amazing" its not. $180 is alot especially if you dont have the money. I believe the best show right now is South Pacific at Lincoln Center. A beautiful job was done with the production. We loved it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM

We left Wicked during the intermission and gave our tickets to two young ladies outside who couldn't get enough of it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:45 AM

I'm glad to hear the above responses - I, too, enjoyed it, but memorable it's not. And not worth premium prices or $102 in the rear mezz. What are the ages of your group of five? Maybe we can suggest alternatives. And what have you already seen?
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM

Any show you see on Broadway is always good. Every seat is a good seat and just the experience alone is memorable. These days Broadway tickets are way too expensive. What you can do if you're already in town is check out a TKTS booth. There are three of them. One in Times Square, South Street Seaport and here in Downtown Brooklyn. What you do is - get to one of the booths by 11:00. There you will see a list of shows that are available for that evening. You get those tickets at a deep discount and sometimes they have great shows. The other day they had In the Heights. So if you have the time and the schedule you should do that.
http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56
Click on the link above and it will take you to the TKTS site.
Have a great time... and do me and Broadway a favor - get dress up for the show. Broadway used to be a place where you'd get dressed up to see a show. Nowadays the tourists come into town and they exit the theater in jeans and sweatshirts - make it memorable - make it fun and give it a reason to get dressed.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM

>

Steffiemax - I couldn't disagree more. I go to the theater frequently and there are productions that range from terrible to mediocre on up to memorable and fantastic. Read today's NYT's review of 'Guys and Dolls.' Although I don't always agree with reviews, I surely wouldn't spend $125 to see that. And when someone is visiting and has just one shot at the B'way experience and money is a consideration, why shouldn't their experience be great?

Your recommendation for TKST is a good one, but is too iffy for some who have just one night and want it nailed down before arrival - especially for five tix.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:02 PM

OP, you didn't say when you trip will take place. If it's far enough into the future, you might be able to get tickets for Wicked at the regular price, especially for a midweek performance.
As for other shows, let us know, first, what you've seen, and second, the type(s) of shows that would interest your group.
I, too, disagree with steffiemax. Every show on Broadway is not always good.
I'm truly surprised to read so many less-than-enthusistic opinions of Wicked. I thought my family (all ages, by the way) were the only ones who didn't like the show!
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

We are going to be there March 19-22. There are 5 of us. Three 40 year olds,11 and 17 year old. All women..girls first time trip. We have seen none of the shows listed and the rest of the people have never seen a Broadway show.Well my daughter and I did see Blue Man Group while at Disney World. In the Heights is one I have heard good things about as well as South Pacific and 39 Steps. There are just to many to pick from. I am the designated planner. My daughter(who will not know we are going until the night before we leave) loves the movie Phantom of the Opera. I was wondering about that. I do not want to see Lion King or Shrek. I would love to hear from people who have seen some of the current playing shows.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:25 PM

Check out the website for Wicked, they do a lottery style 2 1/2 hours before curtain and sell tickets for $25This apparently is a thing that Wicked productions do wherever they play.

We got some in San Francisco using that system. It is same day and you run the risk of not getting any, but hey, it's worth a try or 2 if your schedule permits.

They were orchestra tickets in San Francisco, 7th row, but at the side, so we had what would be called "restricted" view. It worked for us and since I couldn't buy any tickets online for the shows we were interested in, it worked out great for us.

Deb
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:28 PM

http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuz...cle/82428.html

has info about the lottery/rush. Also, you can each enter, but only get 2 tickets if you win [but each of you could win] and it must be cash.

I realize that for 5 of you it isn't really too practical, but thought I would post it here for others that might read thread.

Deb
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:47 PM

Using the TKTS booth might be too much of a chance with five people. If you sign up for TMinsider (for free) you can get codes Phantom and other Broadway and Off Broadway shows. 39 Steps was truly enjoyable and I would definitely recommend it. They have discount offers too. My friend, a fellow theater buff, recently saw the Marvelous Wonderettes (off Broadway) and said it was a fun show! I absolutely agree with centralparkgirl, that not all shows are wonderful. Hope this helps!
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:01 PM

Since you haven't seen anything, I think you'll do fine using the TKTS booth. By the way, I thought Lion King was fantastic (and I was in my 40's when I saw it.)

Re: Wicked ... I got to see Idina Menzel's final performance by winning the ticket lottery--but there were more than 500 people in line vying for 24 tickets. So I wouldn't count on that.

IMHO, Wicked was the Broadway show against which all others will be measured. I loved it. But it's all a matter of taste. I can't fathom walking out after that INCREDIBLE ending to the first act -- but when I saw "Sunday in the Park With George" I was mesmerized -- yet I overheard others in the lobby saying they thought it was horrible.

Have a great time.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:09 PM

Songdoc's post is proof positive that you have to see for yourself when there are mixed reviews. As I said in my original post, for me, Wicked was far from the best musical/music I've seen...I liked many, including My Fair Lady to Fiddler on the Roof to Man of La Mancha, to my no. 1 all-time favorite Funny Girl (Barbra Streisand, row E orchestra, my 14th birthday), Les Miz, and others, better.

But then I also wasn't blown away by Lion King!
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM

Most of us tend to recommend newer plays and Phantom's been around a long time. I think it may be a good choice for your group. It's very dramatic, you're probably familiar with the music and there are definitely discount tix available. Sitting in the front of the mezz for that show happens to work very well. Look at playbill.com too.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:09 PM

Wicked is good, though frankly just not great (in my opinion). If I were paying full-price for a ticket today, I'd choose Billy Elliot or South Pacific, as I've said in another post. I strongly recommend Billy Elliot, which I saw last week. In the Heights is really good, though not great.

But someone also mentioned Guys and Dolls. I've now heard 2 reviews just today. One was rapturously in favor of the show while Ben Brantley of the Times hated it. As many people have said, it's in the eyes and ears of the beholder.

If you have a teenage girl, then Wicked will be at the top of your list. If not, then I'd recommend something that might have more universal appeal. I know a lot of people just throw in the towel and go see Phantom or Mama MIa, but there are newer and more interesting shows. But I'd never pay scalper prices, which is what you are being charged for Wicked.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM

I agree with Doug. Sooner or later, all the best shows go on tour and/or are made into a movie.

If no one has seen anything, you have a lot of choices. You don't necessarily all have to see the same shows. Chances are good for finding appealing shows at the TKTS booth, or with discounts (have you checked Playbill.com, Theatermania.com, etc.???).

As mentioned, if you cannot get five seats together at TKTS, you can always split up.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:41 AM

As for getting tickets for 5 people together at TKTS, the solution is simple: Have two of you go up together, since I believe the maximum for one person is 4 tickets.
I'll disagree concerning the choice of shows: Since the group is composed of Broadway neophytes, I would thing seeing a golden oldie like Phantom of the Opera would fill the bill and score high on the excitement and entertainment scale. And, discount tickets are readily available for the show.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:57 AM

HowardR - that was the same point I was making about Phantom - everyone will like it. It shouldn't be overlooked because it's been around for a long time - there's a reason it's playing for so long.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:25 AM

I am an avid theater goer. Just back last week from 4 shows. Prior trip was mid December, again for 4 shows.

I've seen Wicked twice first time, at the TKTS booth with the show in previews with the orginal cast. This is a BIG theater, it is important to get good seats and I would never recommend the back balcony unless they were really cheap. For clairfication, I have won the lottery 4 times over the years, it is for the front 28 seats. I have always given these tickets to my co travelers. There can be hundreds of people signing up, so don't count on winning.

I use Playbill print off discounts and go direct to the box offices, cheaper than TKTS. But I also frequently use TKTS as well. They now take credit cards and most often have the most expensive tickets. Some theaters do have very reasonable balcony seats, that are excellent since usually theaters are compact with good viewing from just about anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -