Notices

NY Airport to Greenwich, Conn.

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NY Airport to Greenwich, Conn.

I want to spend a few days in Greenwich, and a day or two in Manhattan, next spring. I'm unfamilliar with the area, and logistics are confusing me. Can anyone tell me the easiest NY airport to fly into, and the best way to get from that airport to Greenwich? Is it necessary to go into Manhattan, then out again to Greenwich by train, or is there some form of public transport directly to Greenwich from an airport? Thanks very much!
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 05:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a suburban limo/van service that you can get from the airports, which goes to the Greenwich area.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 05:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The most convenient airport to Greenwich is the Westchester County airport, which is right near Greenwich and is a easy ride there. Where are you flying from?
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 06:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what does one do as a tourist in greenwich? sincerely curious.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can take Connecticut Limo right into Greenwich from either airport. Depending on what you plan on doing there, you may want to consider renting a car instead. All depends on your plans once in Greenwich.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howard and myname, I don't know exactly what I'll do. I was born in Greenwich, and lived there until I was 8, then left and have never been back. I want to find my old house and school, and see what I remember. Nothing touristy -- but I'm open to suggestions! My only plan is to rent a car and drive around.

I'm flying from Portland, Oregon. I'll check out flights to the Westchester County airport. I want to combine this with a day of two in NY, and am trying to figure out whether to base myself in Greenwich, base myself in New York City, or fly into one and out of the other...

Thank you very much -- all suggestions welcome!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 04:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arrietty, since you plan on driving around Greenwich, you might want to fly to Westchester Airport and rent a car there. The major rental companies are there. After your nostalgic tour, you'll probably find it more enjoyable to spend the rest of your trip in NYC! Though a very nice (and wealthy) suburban city, there isn't that much to do in Greenwich.
Another option would be to fly to one of the major NYC airports, make Manhattan your base and take a train to Greenwich (excellent service from NYC) for a day and then hire a cab at the Greenwich train station to drive you around Greenwich.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How light will you be traveling? Probably the best prices you'll encounter will be into LGA. You can get to Greenwich on the MetroNorth train. From LGA, either take the M60 bus from LGA to the 125th St MetroNorth station ($1.50 exact change), or take the NY Airport Express Bus from LGA to Grand Central Terminal ($8-$11 one way). The express bus in a motorcoach with compartments for your luggage, and since you'd be boarding the MetroNorth in Grand Central, where it originates, you'll be able to more easily find room for yourself & luggage. The train's first stop is 125th St, where you might have to search for seat if traveling during prime commuting times.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much! Howard, that's an idea, to hire a cab to take me around Greenwich. Do you by any wild chance know of any Greenwich car/driver companies that hire by the day? (I'd like to be able to stop and go into the school, my old church and a club where I played. A driver might thus be cheaper than an actual cab...)

I will check out flights into Westchester county that might open-jaw and allow return from LGA. I'm keen to take the train between Greenwich and Grand Central at least one way, as my Dad did that every day for work.

rb- thank you so much for your excellent information! If I do land in LGA, it will be invaluable to know! I'm not having much luck with the open-jaw into Westchester/out of LGA option, so I may fly into New York and take it from there.

I'm doing a search, but any personal recommendations for a place to overnight in Greenwich would be welcome.

If anybody's familliar with the town, I'm looking for proximity to a neighborhood called Indian Harbor (which I can't find on the Yahoo map) and also Greenwich Country Day School, Greenwich Country Club, and the main Episcopal church (Trinity, I think.)

Thank you again, so very much! Resources for this have been scarce, and I really appreciate it!
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 05:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe there is a Hyatt in Greenwich.
Pricewise, you're probably better off flying in and out of Laguardia and taking a train to Greenwich.
Sorry, I can't help you with the cab question. However, I would think that you could hire a cab for a day. The obvious question, of course, is how much would it cost you!
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 10:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In addition to the Hyatt Regency in Greenwich, there are other options in Greenwich: The Harbor House Inn (B&B), Stanton House Inn (B&B) and the Homestead Inn (restaurant and inn). They have websites. When I travel from the airports to home in the area, I use a door-to-door shared van service... Prime Time Shuttle 800-377-8745.

The Greenwich Taxi is 203-869-6000.

If I were doing your plan, I would fly into a NY airport, stay in NYC, take the commuter railroad Amtrak from Grand Central Station to the Stamford Station, rent an Avis or Hertz car (both located at the station) and drive myself on the tour. The Stamford RR station is 10-15 minutes from Greenwich.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
evelyntrav, thank you! (the web sites look lovely. I will give the van company a call.) I'm assuming there aren't rental cars at the Greenwich station?
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Side note - Amtrak is not what you want to get to Greenwich - you want a Metro North Train (New Haven Line) out of Grand Central. They run frequently and you can often get an express to Greenwich. I don't think you can rent a car at the Greenwich train stations, but one town northeast of Greenwich is Stamford. They have car rental at/near the trainstation and its an easy 10 min drive to the Greenwich Hyatt from there. I am sure the people at Hyatt can help you figure it all out.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are no rental cars at the Greenwich station. The Stamford station is right on I 95 which is about 3 miles from the Greenwich town line.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is great -- I'm amazed at the amount of knowlege here! Thank you so much for keeping me from wandering helplessly!

Old Feb 7th, 2003, 02:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're at all into contemporary art, the Bruce Museum is having is currently having a show "The Pleasures of Collecting," which has been very well reviewed. Many of the works are from private collections and are not often on public view. <http://www.greenwichct.org/BruceMuseum/BruceMuseum.asp>

Although I've heard of Indian Harbor, I'm not sure where it is, but I'm sure if you asked directions to the Indian Harbor Yacht Club on Steamboat Road, you'd get to the area.

A great website for visitors, much better than the "official" Greenwich site is http://escapemaker.com/ct/greenwich/greenwich.html There really IS a lot to do in the area.

KenCT <[email protected]>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 08:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arriety, I think you'll have a great time, and also be amazed by how much Greenwich has changed! It's much more "glitzy" and less preppy than it was 20 or 30 years ago, take a stroll down Greenwich Ave., it's pretty entertaining if you ask me. Lots of great stores and restaurants, and if you hit it right, some Celebrity spotting.

Indian Harbor is VERY close to downtown (Greenwich Ave), as is Trinity, which is on the post Rd. All are within a 2 mile radius and you could walk if you like to do that. I assume Indian Harbor is where Indian Harbor Yacht Club is, which runs alongside the Harbor. When I go out I'll check the car for a Greenwich map and give you exact directions.

You'll have fun visiting your old stomping grounds, I'm sure.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 01:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll suggest Enterprise (www.enterprise.com) for a car rental location away from major airports. They seem to be everywhere and with reasonable rates, BUT most locations close 6pm weekdays, noon on Saturdays, and closed Sundays. And "we'll pick you up".

http://www.mnr.org/ for MetroNorth trains. My earlier post should have pointed out that M60 is a MTA city bus, no luggage racks nor compartments.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ken, thank you -- that's a great site, and the Bruce Museum sounds very interesting! Maybe I should spend a couple of days in the town. The Yacht Club sounds like it must be nearby, as our house was on the Sound.

Nina, thank you! I'm sure Greenwich has changed a lot -- my memories are so vague that I probably won't notice but I hope the sight of some old stomping grounds will trigger something.

Do you know of a "Greenwich Country Club," by any chance? It's not the Yacht Club (it had a swimming pool.)

Thank you, rb, for the train web site. I like Enterprise best, too, for car rentals!

I'm so excited to get all this information, and very grateful!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 05:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the Greenwich Country Club in on North Street, not far from the Post Road (near Greenwich Country Day, too.) I would recommend flying into LGA, not Westchester, simply because flights are more available and much cheaper. Also, there aren't many (if any) transcontinental non-stop flights into Westchester.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO