Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Nu'alolo Trail/Nu'alolo Cliff/Awa-'awapuhi Hike

Old Nov 28th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to do this hike on our first full day in Kauai. What is the earlies time in Sept that we should start our hike and how far will the drive be from the Hyatt so we can incorporate that time in our planning?

Also, does anyone know of a good place I can get a GOOD Hiking trail map so we don't get lost?
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 03:27 PM

Had this bookmarked:
http://community.webshots.com/album/82504302WtUaXF

Have fun.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 07:37 AM

I read about this hike in the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook: Kauai Revealed and it says to NOT start out any later than 10am. It's an 11 mile route if you have to go back down the road to where you left your car. They say to plan to be back at your car 1.5 hours before sunset.

10am seems kind of late to me. We're planning on an earlier start. The book gives very good directions and it lists other hikes with maps. I don't plan on buying anything else to do the 4 hikes I've chosen. The details in the book are enough.

I actually bought the book (plus the one for the BI) after hearing rave reviews on this forum. They're not too expensive and are GREAT!

Betty
(Hawaii bound in May)
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 11:20 AM

Thanks for sharing the website. I just had a look - twice! Amazing photos. I can't wait to show my husband.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 12:40 PM

We did this hike using only the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook and had no trouble finding our way. I have to say, this is the most amazing and beautiful hike I have EVER done. Have fun!
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 01:11 PM

The trail is not difficult to follow at all; however, be aware that, at least when we were there, it was extremely muddy--and I mean, extremely. I threw away my tennis shoes at the end of the vacation before we left Kauai. I fell down several times as did my husband and boys. Almost everyone we saw was fairly covered with mud.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

I'm glad to know that the description in the Kauai Revealed is good enough to make the trip. Sounds really worth it. Is it better than the Kalalu Trail to the waterfall?