Search

Opaeka'a Falls Hike

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opaeka'a Falls Hike

As per Ultimate Kaua'i guidebook, you can take a faint "pig trail" down to the bottom of Opaeka'a Falls. They put it in the "Adventures" section because it's not a maintained trail and it can be sketchy. I actually found some online journals with photos from people who did this, but none assessed the difficulty.

Has anyone done this hike? What was it like, and when did you go? We're going to Kaua'i the first week of June, so hopefully we have a better chance of it being semi-dry?

Thanks!

love
roxy
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 05:09 AM

A few months ago, someone described this trail in a trip report. They said it looked deceptively easy but ended up being harrowing! Does anyone remember this post and can top it for us? I'll look for it as well...
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 11:17 AM

Not sure about this falls, but it's relatively easy to get to the bottom of Wailea Falls. There's a steep, muddy way down just before the guard rail starts, near the trash can. Parts are very vertical and slick - beware!
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 11:54 AM

The trails to the lower levels of Wailua Falls now display "DANGER: DO NOT USE THIS PATH" signage...yet we saw tourists hiking
up from one just a week or so ago.

These trails are extremely dangerous -- rock slides, slippery mud, and the not-so-infrequent flash floods.

Stay safe -- enjoy the view of the waterfalls from behind the fence.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys..I guess we'll have to assess it for ourselves...if the conditions look bad, we won't go, we'll just enjoy it from the top and swim somewhere else!

love
roxy
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Locals know not to swim in _any_ of our rivers -- leptosporosis is rampant (due to effluent runoff from the domestic and wild livestock). Severe lepto cases can result in hospitalization (yikes!).

Supposedly, lepto cannot survive in saltwater though. We paddle the rivers, but confine our swimming to the ocean waters which are _not_ immediately adjacent to any of the rivers.

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Auntiemaria,

Is lepto more rampant on Kaua'i than on Maui, or any other island?

love
roxy
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 03:11 PM

Auntie Maria, if locals don't swim in the rivers at all, then do would you recommend staying away from the all day kayak/swim/rope swing type adventures? I am thinking of something like the Kipu Ranch tour. I am debating this because usually when you kayak, you inevitably fall into the river. Is the risk such that all these types of trips should be avoided? Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 04:00 PM

We just got back from Maui. We spent 2 nights in Hana and explored a lot of waterfalls - including swimming in them. I had a few scratches on my legs the first day (nothing major or bleeding). The second day my DH cut himself shaving, then we went to 2 falls on way to Oheo Gulch (7 pools). We swam in pools (including one behind sign where you're not supposed to go and a nice local offered to take our photo together!) I gouged one of my fingers climbing back down - we went to ranger station where I got some bandaids and I washed my finger off with non potable water by bathrooms. We then headed up Pipiwai trail where I definitely had contact with water (although too cold to immerse self in) And we are both healthy - only sickness we have is jet lag and missing Hawaii!
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 10:01 PM

Wishiwasthere:
We paddle the rivers all the time -- but ever since I got my first lepto infection (due to open wound on foot), we always rinse off in the ocean before making the drive home to shower off with fresh water. Before getting out of the shower, feet get rinsed with hydrogen peroxide...to bubble out any "ickies" which might still be in between the toes.

I'm not about to give up my paddling, and you should take advantage of all the water activities while you're in the islands. Have fun in the rivers -- but take the after-event precautions to avoid lepto.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 01:29 AM

Thanks Antie Maria. I didn't realize that salt water worked to kill the bacteria. The hydrogen peroxide thing sounds like a good idea too. I'll pick some up when I am over there. Thanks again!