COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Now that we have all had our say about hotel ratings, how does everyone decide which hotel to stay in?

Now that we have all had our say about hotel ratings, how does everyone decide which hotel to stay in?

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Trip advisor? Hotel rating sources? Guidebooks? Our imaginary friends on this board? Brand name?

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:24 AM

In the US - mostly brand name, then guidebooks. May ask between a couple on this board. Check tripadvisor for any surprises.

For other parts of the world start with guidebooks, then add others as above - since brand names are scarcer.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:25 AM
GoTravel

Location and price.

I'll stay in a dump (and have, see post about Days Inn Miami) for the right price and location.

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:29 AM

I usually start with location, narrow it down a little, and then run by Fodorites. Imaginary or not, this works the best!

Rating? What kind of animal is that Doesn't help ME!

Trip advisor? If there are complaints, yes, I consider. If only positives - from administration, I guess.

Guidebooks? I think the hotels place their ads and give their own description.

Brand name? Yeah, sometimes.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:16 AM

Mostly brand name. Never by the guidebooks or here online. What one person considers a dump, DH and I probably would not. We only sleep usually one night when we travel and then go on to the next. As long as the bathroom is clean and sheets on the bed, really does not matter to us. We are not luxury hotel people. Comfort Inn, Super8, Motel 6 are our usual. We also love to stay in a "mom and pop" small motel if one is in the area.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 12:18 PM
JJ5

In the USA, I let Priceline or my eyes decide for me. Priceline on all planned trips and my eyes on the road. But I study maps and the possible options for areas first.

With Priceline I can usually narrow down location to within a mile, sometimes closer and I only pick 4 star, never lower. It makes me stretch to different types of hotels too, which I love.

Ironically, when I look at the guidebooks' lists first and then do Priceline, about half the time I have gotten the one I would have chosen anyway. It happened for Toronto exactly like that- and the final price for 3 nights is just 25% of what it would have been booking direct. That's 75% off and I very nearly did it on the phone.

There's only one hotel that I would return to straight rack rate and that one was in Sarasota on Lido Key- because it has a perfect location for a solo female, IMHO.