Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Now I am really Ticked off! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/now-i-am-really-ticked-off-352364/)

Scarlett Aug 27th, 2003 08:19 AM

Now I am really Ticked off!

After a weekend of fun and romping with the other pups in Central Park , including Riverside Pk, we found out today that Pup had a tick on him!! The vet says that Central Park has a tick problem!!
so wear your OFF or whatever you need to protect yourself if you go off the paths or into any tall grass.

MikeT Aug 27th, 2003 08:32 AM

Ticks in a wooded parkland. Seems hard to fathom.

Scarlett Aug 27th, 2003 08:34 AM

Mike T, where do you live?
We are talking about sidewalks and grass here, not a wooded parkland.

dln Aug 27th, 2003 08:34 AM

Scarlett, with all the worries about Lyme Disease and Nile Disease, you should NEVER go out without insect repellent! Poor Pup. Ticks are so gross.

Scarlett Aug 27th, 2003 08:36 AM

I know! The vet picked it off of him with a tweezer !! Ick ick!
The vet said that people have been coming in with ticks on their pets AND on them.
Silly me, I thought that we were safe in the city :(

Suzie Aug 27th, 2003 08:38 AM

I feel your pain Scarlett. Those dog ticks are grooossss. Ticks are everywhere, grass, the weeds in the sidewalk cracks. eeeeuuuuwwwww. Still haven't found an easy way to get them off our dog. She has really short fur so they show up really fast. Thanks goodness for the 13 yo boy who owns her. They love that kind of stuff!!! ;)

Scarlett Aug 27th, 2003 08:40 AM

Pup has a haircut so his hair is sort of short but he is still pretty hairy, curly too and brown..perfect hiding place for ticks..Poor Pup, he is now only allowed out on the sidewalk and back in pretty quick!! ((&))

LN Aug 27th, 2003 08:41 AM

scarlett - we can truly understand how this must have upset you BUT ticks are a fact of a dog's life. Keep your little tweezers handy and for yourself: spray well with DEET before heading out there cause that West Nile Virus along with Lyme's Disease can be really scary!!!

I guess NYC will have to spray Central Park. But you know, I also thought Central Park had LOTS of trees.

Maybe Pup needs a walk down by the river. Chiao!!

MikeT Aug 27th, 2003 08:43 AM

Scarlett, you were walking in a park with lots of trees. If you have been hanging out in SoHo, that would one thing, but you were IN A PARK.

doc_ Aug 27th, 2003 08:49 AM

Typically,it is only deer ticks that transmit lymes. I cant imagine any deer ticks in central park. I wouldn't sweat it.

Scarlett Aug 27th, 2003 08:57 AM

Thank you LN and doc, yes, this was a dog tick. The kind that swell up big and gross with blood. Not a tiny little spider-like deer tick.
Yes, I am aware that there are trees in Central Park. But since Pup rarely climbs trees or even hangs out under them, we thought he was safe.He does get those drops also, the little bugger might have died soon anyway.
Down by the Hudson was also where we played, it could have come from there.
Mostly the purpose of my whine, was to alert other Pup owners and those who do loll under the trees and in the grass, Ticks are out there and looking for someone nice to go home with :)

Grasshopper Aug 27th, 2003 09:00 AM

And maybe if he wrestled with another dog it jumped off the other dog onto Tate! Kind of like kids and head lice! Yikes.

pchsmiles Aug 27th, 2003 09:03 AM

... to add insult to injury, many say with ticks you can no see 'em. Glad the culprit was discovered and dispatched.

carte005 Aug 27th, 2003 09:07 AM

Dogs get ticks all the time. It's not a big deal. Just carefully pull them out with a pair of tweezers or hemostats. Be sure to grab the tick as close to its head as possible. If you don't, you might rip it apart and leave the head on the dog.

Scarlett Aug 27th, 2003 09:08 AM

"ticks you can no seem em" :D

Yep, this little sucker was in the wrong spot at the wrong time!

I think you would have heard me squealing all over the world if I had to be the one to pick it off :O
That is one of my fears, that half of it will come off ...shudder~

Grasshopper Aug 27th, 2003 09:09 AM

That happened to my dad! He did the match on the butt trick and the tick died. Then he pulled and the body broke off and the head was stuck in his arm! He had to go to the doctor to get it out. How gross is that?!!!

dln Aug 27th, 2003 09:18 AM

Grasshopper, Suzie's 13 year old boy would have helped you out! I'd have been like this :-&

Scarlett Aug 27th, 2003 09:18 AM

=-o Grasshopper, how could your dad stand to do that match to the butt thing on his own arm ??? Yes, I think that is the Top Gross story so far !

swalter518 Aug 27th, 2003 09:20 AM

Scarlett, I feel your pain, our furry friend got one romping around in Michigan, but the vet gave us some drops to put on her that keep the ticks off her. Looks like we're on our own though :)

Grasshopper Aug 27th, 2003 09:23 AM

Well, he is kind of a "manly man", if you know what I mean. :-) Next time we shall certainly consider Suzie's son!