Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

November in California - mad to choose a convertible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear all

Several of you have already been very kind and helped me out with my itinerary for a two-week visit in November - thank you.

Here's a more specific question: after we leave SF, we're spending three days heading down the coast then turning inland to Death Valley and Las Vegas.

I'd love to rent a convertible, even if we can only have the top down in the desert. Can anyone see any disadvatages? Presumably if it's cold up north we can just keep the top up? I sooo want to feel the wind in my hair (and the sun on my face)!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Seem to have posted this message twice - oops. Please ignore other posting. Eventually I'll get the hang of it
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:57 PM

oops- i answered other one
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Go for it. I think there hasn't been a month of the year I haven't had my top down (in No. California)

Just be sure to bring a hat and use sunscreen.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:19 PM

You should be fine, but to back yourself up, rent a car from a large car company found in CA and Vegas, so you can trade it in if you want a hard top.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Go for it Sam... bundle up if it's cold... we loved having a convertible through Big Sur in October a few years ago. Enjoy!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact I'm using a UK company that arranges things from here, so I'm not quite sure who we'll end up with. It'll be one of the big ones, though (Alamo, Hertz etc.). Interestingly, they are charging to fee for dropping off in a different location, whereas most of the US firms I looked at either said it wasn't an option or wanted huge dollars.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

I meant, they are charging NO fee ...

Time for bed, obviously ...
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:31 PM

The colder it is everywhere else, the cooler a convertible is in California (or anywhere else you can utilize the top)
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:38 PM

I love how outsiders think that it's always blazing hot in the desert Southwestern US.

Fact is: It gets downright nippy in Las Vegas in late fall and winter. You might see highs in the low 70s, but more likely it will be in the upper 60s, with lows in the 40s. If you want the top down, plan on having the heater blasting hot air at you. Rain is doubtful, so it should be nice and sunny, albeit cool.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:53 PM

We live in the SF Bay Area and a couple years ago we wented a convertible in November - had to get some major work done on our car and thought it would be fun to have a convertible to cruise around in for a change. It was terrific - a little chilly in the evennings but that didn't bother us. We just put on our jackets and cranked up the heater We took it over to the coast and through the Santa Cruz mountains - had great fun with it.

November isn't typically a rainy month, so you should be able to have the top down a lot.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:12 PM

Sam, I think you're crazy if you DON'T rent a convertible! I live in So Cal and drive a convertible year round. The weather during the day will likely be beautiful and you may choose to put the top up at night if you're cool. I can't imagine that you'll ever want hot air blasting at you. Have a fabulous trip!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 07:49 PM

we bought our 18 yr. old son an '88 convertible BMW...that kid drives it year round with the top down. I had a friend call me from the freeway one morning at 7:00 a.m. and said "I just saw an idiot on the freeway in a convertible and as I got closer I realized it was YOUR SON. With the heat blazing, gloves and scarf flying in the wind, that kid refused to put up the roof.

Rent it and enjoy...and who cares...its not like it doesn't come with a "lid" you can ALWAYS put the roof up if you are a little cold.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Iregeo - when you are going down the highway on a chilly night, having the heater on definitely makes for a more comfortable ride.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:09 AM

For over 4,300 years our families have been able to navigate the airs of California without ever putting a roof over our magic carpets. Why would one consider having a top on their rental cars in such glorious locations as you describe here? For nighttime navigation, we look to the stars, as many territories have no signs or lightings. Do seek the truth in all your travels and you will not be cold or wet or lost.

AR
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Armani_Rugpilot, you are an inspiration.

I booked my magic carpet today. It is comes with full 360-degree all-round air conditioning. And an optional top. Hooray!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:15 PM

J Correa, I don't ever use the heat. Guess that's just my personal thing. I hate hot air blowing at me. I do use seat heaters when its cold and A/C with the top down on hot summer days.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Kal

LOVED driving back from Carmel to Monterey to Santa Cruz then up and over Sacto area in late Nov with the top down, heater heating and the wind blowing thru my scalp.

No disadvantages at in IMHO...wish we had that darn car still.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:37 AM

We did SF to LA last year via PCH FABULOUS and all in a convertible with the heater BLASTING Pashmina wrapped round my neck and the Pacific ocean smells and wind whipping through my hair.
Would so it again i a hear beat go for it... (Plus if you go through Big Sur you have NOTHING to obscure one of the best views in the world....