Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

November end in Kauai: south shore or north shore ?

Old Apr 27th, 2021, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of planning a trip in the end of November this year ( around thanksgiving) for around 7 nights, debating between Kauai and Big Island. For Kauai, I can see that the north shore is more interesting, but is november end really a good time to stay on the north shore , considering the weather? Alternatively, we could stay on the south shore and commute to the north shore on a couple of days, and spend rest of the time on other parts of the island, would that be worth it?
I've heard that it doesn't rain all the time, but coming from Seattle, we are looking for a good amount of bright and warm weather.
Or is it just better to skip Kauai for that time period, go to Big Island, and come back to Kauai some other time ?
Another question: does having a short transit at Honolulu change anything for covid tests? The 72 hour window for doing the covid test is still the 72 hours before the first departure out from the mainland, right ?

Last edited by ashwinb; Apr 27th, 2021 at 08:14 AM.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 08:12 PM

I live on Kauai's North Shore. The weather can't be guaranteed anywhere in Hawaii, but this past year, the weather was mostly beautiful all the way through January. From mid-Feb. all the through March, the rain and wind were terrible everywhere in Hawaii.

If you look at statistics, you would think it constantly rains on Kauai's North Shore. But most of the time, the rain falls either at night or in very brief showers that can pass in 5 minutes. Believe me, I wouldn't live in a place that rains all the time.

My recommendation would be to stay on the North Shore and drive to the South Shore on days when it is drier there.

I like the Big Island very much, but it is VERY different from Kauai. It really depends on what you like and want to do.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot! And how is the water, is it swimmable and warm?
Old May 2nd, 2021, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by ashwinb View Post
Thanks a lot! And how is the water, is it swimmable and warm?
The water is warm enough for swimming all year in Hawaii. I live on Oahu.