Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 1998, 12:22 PM
Fran

What is the weather like in Nova Scotia and PEI the last week of Sept./ the first week of Oct.? Any comments on the ferries from either Portsmouth or Bar Harbor, Maine, as opposed to driving all the way?

Old May 18th, 1998, 03:59 PM
Bob Brown

When we were there in mid September, a light jacket was nice. A sweater and tightly woven shell garmet are nice, too, particularly if you take as boat cruise and want to be on deck.

The boat is superior, if you can afford to spend the money. The drive once one leaves Fundy Park and the
Reversing Falls in St. John tends to be a little
monochromatic. And the road via Calais is not
really great although it is not all that bad either.

We enjoyed Cheticamp and Cape Breton Island.
Go to Louisbourg for a dose of history from the other side. And the Alexander G. Bell Museum was very interesting.

Old Jun 2nd, 1998, 11:12 AM
j. griffin

The ferry from St. John to Digby is a much shorter ride. The Blomidon Inn in Wolfville,N.S. was a wonderful place to stay and eat.

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 03:13 PM
Donna F

I think you meant the ferries from Portland ME or Bar Harbor. We have traveled by land (hauling a camper) and I have gone on the ferry from Portland. On the return we found it much more comfortable to pay extra to have a cabin even tho it's day time. It was much nicer than sitting in a chair or walking the decks. Make sure you stop in some tea rooms for snacks on your visit. They range from simple rooms in a home open to the public for tea or very nice tea restaurants. Wonderful desserts. Found fresh peach juice on PEI in August. The eastern coast of Nova Scotia from Halifax south is lovely but between Cape Breton and Halifax it is quite barren and windswept. On PEI most of the island was lovely rolling hills. The area around the bay of Fundy is very interesting - do plenty of beach combing for interesting rocks, etc. Have wonderful time.

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 03:58 AM
j.griffin

No, really, there is a ferry from St. John,N.B. to Digby, N.S. It's only a 2 1/2 to 3 hour ride. Not luxurious, but comfortable. If you want to take this ferry, you'll get to see the beautiful towns and beaches along the northern coast of Maine on the way. They call it "down east".