Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Notre Dame football game......... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/notre-dame-football-game-656163/)

mgdriver Oct 31st, 2006 10:20 PM

Notre Dame football game.........

Where to stay and where to eat in South Bend? I've been loking forward to this for a long time....

SAnParis Nov 1st, 2006 04:06 AM

When did ND get a football program ?? Ha, Ha, from an Ohio State fan. Too bad we won't get to whip up on you in the National Champtionship game this year.

LT Nov 1st, 2006 05:35 AM

Good one, SAn!

I tell the ND fans I meet that even in the dark Cooper years we (OSU) managed to beat Notre Lame!

Am looking forward to being in Columbus on 11/18 to watch the Bucks beat the evil Wolverines one more time . . .

GO BUCKS!!!!!

cfntmpn Nov 1st, 2006 05:46 AM

What game are you going to, because depending on the date you might already be out of luck if you need a hotel. Unfortunately, ND is not in a "typical" college town.

I am originally from the area and when I go home I eat, sleep, and shop in Mishawaka. Go onto Priceline and search for a hotel in Mishawaka - do not go below a 2* - anything 2* and above will be located along Grape & Main which is where most of the action is. Alot of hotels even have a charter the day of the game.

I recently had to go home for a family function the same weekend as the ND/UCLA game. I started searching for a hotel 3 weeks prior to the game. There were no rooms available under $350 (a typical $79/nt room) unless I went out to Goshen (30 min drive). The day of the game a room did open out by the SB airport - one of THE worse hotels in town for $100/nt - which I would not recommend anyone to stay at.

Good Luck!

J62 Nov 1st, 2006 07:19 AM

cf has it correct. Many people will book rooms 364 days in advance (or as soon as they are able), in anticipation of attending games NEXT year.

If there are no rooms on the websites or PL, you can also call some properties directly - it is common for them to keep some rooms under local control, especially since for ND game weekends they can be assured of a full house.

JJ5 Nov 1st, 2006 07:27 AM

I don't know where you are coming from but be aware that there are also other towns within 30 to 45 minutes from South Bend that have B&B's, motels, hotels- if you don't have luck with the closer options.

Many people drive in from Chicago routinely for ND games. I have a relative that does.

So depending on which direction you are coming from, you may want to consider the alternate (above), but close enough to drive to the game option.

And watch out, Ohio State, as the Michigan Wolverines may deter your track yet.

erdockac Nov 1st, 2006 08:29 PM

Hi:

I hope you already have a hotel room if this post is for this season. If it is for next year, book your hotel now. The downtown Marriott is nice. Be prepared to pay an arm and a leg and have a 2 night minimum if you want to stay in South Bend.

where to eat: Tippacanoe is great for an expensive dinner and Sunday Brunch. It is in the old Studebaker mansion.
Macri's Deli was a favorite when I was a student
Breakfast: Apple pancakes at Bibler's Pancake House
Bruno's for pizza
Cosomo and Susie's is a little Italian place that is good in a strip mall on Hickory I think
Mishawaka Brew Pub is pretty good
On Grape Rd there are many chain restaurants, Haicienda, Don Pablo's, TGI Friday's etc.

Reservations are needed for game weekends and if they don't take reservations, expect a wait. There will be less of a wait if you go an exit or two away on the Toll Rd. We ate at a place in Granger called Antonio's which was good and not crowded after the Penn State game. We were staying in Shipshewanna since I couldn't find a reservation in South Bend, Granger or Mishawaka, so it was on the way.
Enjoy your trip to campus. GO IRISH!

erdockac Nov 1st, 2006 08:36 PM

Hi again:

My husband pointed something out that might be helpful. If you don't have a hotel for Friday night, that is a problem. If you only want to stay on Saturday night there are rooms to be had, only you have to call the hotel directly on Saturday. Almost all the hotels make you pay for Friday and Saturday night. When people check out on Saturday the hotel resells the room for Saturday night. My dad stayed at the Ramada on 31 and the Signature Inn on 31 using this technique. Neither is the greatest hotel, but both are passable for 1 night.

artman Nov 2nd, 2006 01:43 AM

There is not much to South Bend. Its a small midwestern town that never has seemed to come out of the recession of the 80's(in looks). Butit does happen to have one of the finest restaurants in the midwest. The La Salle Grill. Always highly rated nationally. I've had better meals there than in NYC.

swalter518 Nov 2nd, 2006 06:12 AM

Alot of people also stay in SWMich for games as it's only about 40 mins away. We were staying at the Holiday Inn Express in New Buffalo on a game weekend last year and were the only ones not going to the game. There are alot of good restaurant options in that area as well.

swalter518 Nov 2nd, 2006 06:13 AM

P.S. You Ohio State fans really need to get a life...we Illini fans know there is more to life than football! :)

SAnParis Nov 2nd, 2006 06:37 AM

To the Illini, you may have the rare chance to get beat by OU & OSU in the same season in a sport. That is quite an achievement. Or, are you like the ACC fans I have to deal w/down here in NC ? Where they've been talking about basketball since, well that is all they talk about... because they don't have any football programs.

cfntmpn Nov 2nd, 2006 04:10 PM

MGDRIVER ~ Do you have know which game/date you will be attending yet?

swmich42 Dec 19th, 2006 09:21 AM

Room Rental is available 40 minutes north of ND. We had it filled during the PState football weekend, after local room availability ran out. If you do not mind the drive, this place is clean, large, and can sleep 8.
http://www.micottagerental.com

Budman Dec 19th, 2006 09:26 AM

swmich42,

Thanks for the link, but I think the game is over. Hopefully someone will use this info next year. ((b))

DebitNM Dec 21st, 2006 06:10 AM

swmich42...a first time poster, pulling up way old threads, 3 times...with a plug for a cottage rental. Fodor's doesn't allow advertising.