Not to miss pubs/taverns in NYC

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to miss pubs/taverns in NYC

In putting together an itinerary for my family, my brother (34) and hubby (40) asked that I find about any fun/historic not-to-miss pubs in the city. Any ideas?
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:52 AM

I used this resource on my latest beer crawl in NYC:

http://hbd.org/mbas/beer.html

Burp Castle sounds fascinating - bartenders dressed like monks and talking in whispers - but the two times we tried to go it was closed.

My fave pub hangout is Ginger Man, but only during daylight hours when it's less crowded and the bartenders are most attentive. Fantastic selection, and they're one of 2 places that I've been able to find my fave Belgian beer on tap.

Cheers!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:03 AM

New York has too many "fun" pubs to mention, but here are a few historic options:

Do not miss Chumley's, the speakeasy on 86 Barrow Street (where the expression "86 it" originated). Tons of history.

Also Pete's Tavern, on 18th at Irving, where O. Henry used to write (and were Amanda proposed to Steve on Sex & the City).

Finally, Fraunces Tavern on Pearl Street was a favorite of George Washington and where he said goodbye to his officers.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:55 AM

i'm interested too. i'll check out pete's, and fraunces. my bf likes the gingerman. does anyone know the name of the bar on the lower west side, below tribeca, below canal...it's one little house like building, only one story, surrounded by big high rises, etc...it's supposed to be one of the oldest bars in new york?
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 12:04 PM

The Peculier Pub (this is correct spelling) - 145 Bleecker St. Features a gazillion beers from around the world. Unfortunately, it tends to be overrun with NYU students so better to go early and/or on a school night.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Otto, Fraunces isn't one story but otherwise, it sounds like what you describe. You might want to read this

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/...barbuzz/11924/

PJ Clarke's in midtown is also very old (but not nearly that old) surrounded by highrises.

The White Horse Tavern in the village has lots of history. I think the Old Town Bar is very atmospheric.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:25 PM
mp

I think Otto might mean Puffy's on Hudson Street and Harrison . . . oh man - I'm flashing back to my youth - 30 years ago, that was the diviest, coolest place.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Kal

McSorley's...old pub. Order a "4 n 4".

Jimmy's Corner. Old Boxing hangout near Times Sq.

Loved Fraunces. Dressy casual but not stuffy, IMHO. Decent food, too.

Can't wait to go back and find some new ones.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:50 PM

I'm was a history major for my BA, and I love the old stuff and just get caught up in who was there & when -- McSorely's is great, but very noisey-- Pete's Tavern was more to my liking -- just amazing with good food and drink (and cheap!) -- but one of my very favorites is Moran's on Washington St., just about a block from Ground Zero -- a new "historic pub"...
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Kal

> IT'S WHAT???
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 05:21 PM

dba on first if no one's mentioned it yet. Get something cask drawn as it's not often available anywhere.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 05:25 PM

What???
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Kal

KM,
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:13 AM

Pete's (18th and Irving) is historic and great for a drink, but IMHO, the food is barely passable. For great burgers (and apparently hot dogs and onion rings, according to recent threads on chowhound) head down the street to Old Town (18th and Park). From there, stroll south through Union Square (not a pub, nor historic, but you can always stop at Luna Park for a drink in the park if it is a nice day). Next stop is Cedar Tavern. While not in it's original location, it was the watering hole for many artistic and literary greats (Pollock, Kerouac, etc.) If you are up for some comparative burger tasting, you could always start this tour with a burger and pint at Molly's on 3rd between 22nd and 23rd, and old-school, Irish, sawdust-on-the-floor place which boasts what many consider to be one of the best burgers in the city. (Personally, I much prefer the one at Old Town, although I have been known to sample both - in the name of research, of course. )
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:31 AM

mp...thanks, might be puffys. doesn't ring a bell. but at least i have something to g**gle now. mollys does have great burgers, and beer. great little place. pj clarkes was ok, loud but the tiles and bar must be the original!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Try the Ear Inn down in the SoHo /Tribeca area - old pub with a good neighhborhood feel. As others have suggested - McSorley's is a must. Crowded and expensive but worth a visit because it's such a cool little spot is the Campbell Apartments - a tavern that was ocne a rpviate residence and is actually in Grand Central Terminal. It has an outside entrance which, if I recall correctly, is on the south side of the building near the SE corner.

Of course there's always the Distinguished Wakamba Cocktail Lounge on 8th Avenue in the mid 30's (very trashy so this suggestion is partially in jest).
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 07:15 AM

This comment might be heresy, but I think McSorley's is nasty. I've been many times (unfortunately), and the place usually stinks and, when its crowded, dirty beer glasses are just dunked in filthy water and refilled.

I know some people suggest it based on reputation alone and not personal experience, so I'd be curious to hear from people who have actully spent some time in McSorley's.

(And as much as I enjoy Campbell Apartment in Grand Central, it doesn't exactly qualify as a pub/tavern.)
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 07:25 AM

I agree - McSorley's is famous, but I've never really enjoyed it. But it is down the street from Burp Castle (was there last week for the first time, and actually thought it was kinda interesting, although the bartender - who apparently was in a semi-famous band in the 70s - wasn't talking in whispers) so it might be worth a stop...

And while I think Campbell Apt is one of the loveliest and most refined places to get a drink in the city, it is NOT a pub - I mean, they have a dress code...
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 07:28 AM

McSorley's Ale House is a landmark and a must visit. You might also want to try The Ear Inn in Soho.

http://everythingtravel.blogspot.com/
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 08:13 AM

The only tavern that would be in my "not to miss" list would be Gramercy Tavern. (www.gramercytavern.com).
We don't know your definition of "fun", but a fine meal in an attractive setting with good service is always fun for us!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -