Not to be missed in NYC-1st time trip

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Melissa

Not to be missed in NYC-1st time trip

My husband and I are coming to NY this weekend for 4 days. Please give us any recommendations on things we MUST do or places we MUST see. Any little delis we must visit? We are staying near the Empire State Building but are willing to travel anywhere around the city. Thanks!

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 05:16 AM
annie

Melissa:
OK, let's see...did you see the threads on Little Italy? Lots of good Ideas there.
Deli's.....we've got lots. Though my favorite place for a wonderful pastrami on rye is Katz's on Houston (house-ton)St. More than enough for two people. You will get many more ideas, here.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Philip

If it's not too cold take a walk through Central Park (or if you can afford it a carriage ride). One of my favorite places in NYC is the Bethesda Fountain.

Step inside Grand Central Station and look at the mural on the ceiling. Thank goodness we had great women like Jackie Kennedy O. who helped save this building from demolition.

Definitely go up to the top of the Empire State Building for a wonderful view. Time your trip so you can be up there as it is getting dark.

Once again if it's not too cold, take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry (it's free) and it's the only way to properly enter NYC.

If you happen to be near Little Italy, stop in at Ferrara's (195 Grand Street) for Italian pastry and coffee.

As far as I'm concerned the only deli in NYC is Katz's 205 East Houston Street (yeah I'm a little predjudice). They've been open since the late 1800's and I think they still have the original waitresses. Look up heaven in the dictionary and you'll find the definition is "Katz's pastrami"

Ferrara's and Katz's are two very old favorites in a rapidly changing New York. They are genuine originals in a world of Starbucks & McDonald's.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 07:58 AM
JimL

Melissa,
Unless you've been living under a rock your whole life I find it hard to believe that you would need to ask about must see sites in New York City! Come on.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Melissa

Jim-
Why bother posting a reply if you're going to be snotty about it??

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:48 PM
annie

Melissa:
Don't worry about the snotty answers. Check out the stuff I gave you your other post, the thread on the Italian restaurants and enjoy a pastrami on rye at Katz's for me!

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 02:10 PM
al

You're coming for 4 days. I presume 2 of those days are travel days, so you'll have 2 whole days here, right? Don't knock yourself out on your first trip. Just hit the basics:

-Empire State Building
-Walk around Times Square. If you like theatre, go to TKTS and see a show.
-Go down to Battery Park and check out the Statue of Liberty. Take the Staten Island ferry or some other boat if you want to see it closer.
-Ground Zero is close by Battery Park. If you're interested, take a run by there (best bet, the Broadway side), but there's not much left at this point. If you want to go to the viewing platform, get tickets at South Street Seaport, also not far from there.
-Rockefeller Center: check out the skating rink and the GE Building. Try to imagine a large Christmas tree there.
-Take a stroll in Central Park. Not dangerous like it used to be but since you're from out of town it's still best to pay attention.
-The Stage Deli and Carnegie Deli are right on 7th Avenue, b/w 53 and 55th Streets. Same basic food as all the others and easier to get to. Yeah, one guy's pastrami might be leaner or one guy's sandwich bigger, but it's really splitting hairs. If you're happen to be downtown, do Katz's.
-Pick a museum, something you like. Natural History, Art, the Intrepid (the boat), whatever. Don't forget the Museum of TV and Broadcasting on 52nd Street either.
-Get a few restaurant ideas from this board, but as you walk around find places that YOU think look interesting and have food and prices that fit your taste and budget. It's the spontaneity that will give you the good stories when you get home.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Dave

Having lived there at a time when I was not working very much, and was therefore able to see lots that NYC has to offer, I nominate Ellis Island and the Statute of Liberty as two must sees. (Many of the above suggestions are also great, esp. Rockefeller Center. If you can get a tour of the center or Grand Central it is well worth it, as they take you to areas you would miss on your own.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Howard

I'm surprised there's been little or no mention of two of New York's greatest attractions--theater and museums. The Metropolitan Museum is probably one of the five greatest museums in the world! And, perhaps only London can rival New York as the theater capitol of the world.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 05:40 PM
New York Doll

DO NOT go to Carnegie Deli, DO NOT go to the Stage Deli. They are tourist traps-- expensive, mediocre (at best) food. Yes, go to Katz's and don't miss Ferrara's -- they haven't changed since i was a kid in the 50's. As for museums, try the Guggenheim on 5th (around 89th or so), then walk down to the Met (also on 5th, around 80th i think) and then to the Frick (a few blocks further down 5th), a real gem. You also have to walk around the Village, around Soho. And Central Park. My teenagers love the Comedy Cellar, somewhere downtown, they stop in late. Get the Village Voice for endless listings of nightlife, the New York Times on Friday for 2 great sections of all the things to do and what's happening in the arts. Oh, and have pizza at John's on 44th Street at 8th Avenue, just across from "the Phantom."

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 06:00 PM
patty

On Sunday, 2/17, there's a New Year's Main Street Parade (smaller than the Lion Parade which was on Tuesday) from 2-4pm, starting and ending at Columbus Park, Mulberry St between Bayard and Worth Streets in Chinatown. It might be worth checking out, starting out with a dim sum brunch (Golden Unicorn? New York Noodletown?) and just walking around Chinatown.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Melissa

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions! I'm really looking forward to this trip! I love NY already!