Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

not exactly travel related, but where do I buy a U.S. savings bond?

Old Dec 15th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a post a few months ago about a gift for a christening. People mentioned a savings bond was a standard gift for the event.

Now I've been invited to one, and thought, thanks fellow Fodorites I know what to get, but WHERE?

To make this travel related, I'm traveling to a church for the event, and I could ask fashion questions to make it more interesting. (I'm thinking something conservative, dark colors, not to flashy)
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 12:53 PM
kgn

Your local bank or federal reserve. On the dress related questions if your a girl a pants suit is great or if your a guy a pair or chenos and a sweater or long sleeve shirt.....but flash is always great!
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 12:54 PM

You can purchase a Savings Bond at any bank. I don't know what city you are in.

What time of day and what day is the christening? You will be in a house of worship, so a nice suit, either pants or skirt will surfice. Will there be a luncheon / celebration party afterwards?
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Dan

Buy them from Uncle Sam online:

http://www.savingsbonds.gov
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. The ceremony is at the end of church. I think it's scheduled for Super Bowl Sunday (I don't know when that is, but parents were talking about having it on that date for some reason). A gathering will be held at the home afterwards.

It's a catholic service (I'm not catholic, but have friends who will help out so I don't embarrass myself)
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 01:12 PM

you will need a social security number for the bond...get the babies # or you'll have to put your # on it and pay taxes when cashed...casual...no jeans...maybe dress or pants suit....
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 01:14 PM

forgot they will mail bond to the babies address...so you'll need info...and parents name too
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 01:18 PM

A pants suit or nice pair of pants and sweater should be just fine.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 01:26 PM

Side note. When I was 8, my grandmother gave me a $100 savings bond for Christmas. I thought it was the dumbest gift in the world, I couldn't even spend it on anything. When I was 18 and it matured (as I did) I cashed it in and used it to pay for my round trip airfare from Cincinatti to Asheville, North Carolina where I worked as a theatre apprentice and was a student at The Flat Rock Playhouse and the state Theatre of North Carolina. So it took 10 years for me to appreciate it. I think it's a great christening gift -- better than for an 8 year old. At least the baby won't hate it at the time like I did!
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 01:46 PM

Make sure the bond is put in the child's name, not yours. Our son received 2 when he was Christened with the giver's name, not his. A real pain to have corrected.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 05:05 PM

Get an I bond. These are adjusted for inflation so that there is a real return, not just a paper one. You can get them at any federal bank or on line as previously stated
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I'll make sure to get it in his name.

Patrick, I would have loved to seen your face when you opened the gift. "Um, thanks Grandma?" But at least you got to visit NC with it!

More on fashion, I own a black suit, along with black hose and black shoes I could have a tribute to Leone (come back Leone, I miss you), but is black really appropriate to a happy occasion? Add a colorful scarf?
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 09:59 AM

I find in our Church during christenings hardly anyone wears dresses or skirted suits. You see mostly nice pant suits or blazer and pants or nice sweater and pants. Black may also be a little too severe JMO. Even on Christmas and Easter, I have seen people come to Mass in everything from jeans to dressy dresses and the dress crowd is definitely in the minority.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Doh

Not to get too off-topic, but while the I-bond may be a better long-term investment, you should realize that I-bonds are sold at face value (pay $100 for a $100 bond, and earn interest on $100) while EE bonds are sold at a discount (pay $50 for a $100 bond, and then the interest on $50 adds another $50 over a period of time), so you can give a "bigger" gift using the EE bonds (there's a lot of information on savings bonds at the U.S. Treasury's website).