Alaska in March: Weather OK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For spring break, we're thinking about coming to Alaska w/ our 2 girls, ages 9 & 13.

Is the weather usually decent for touring?

We're okay with cold, but would the weather to be pleasant to be outside in (not below zero!)

Also, is Denali open in March?

Do boats offer tours in Seward in March?

Thanks!

Sunflower2
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 09:06 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
No, the weather is too unpredictable, the roads too messed up, the temperatures low. The interior of Denali Park is closed, most of the tourist-related facilities in the state not open till May or June, no boats, not much for kids to do.

Today (March 18) it was around 20 above (F) in Anchorage; it was -9 in Fairbanks. Not exactly Barbados.

There are a couple of exceptions. The Iditarod starts in early March from Anchorage and Knik; Fur Rondy in Anchorage - a winter fair - is going on in the beginning of the month; there can be good aurora viewing.

Are you talking about this month or next year?

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Very helpful comments, BQ & Gardyloo, re March. The ice scultping, northern lights, & Iditarod all sound great....the weather & road conditions in March sound a bit iffy for us.

THis would be for next March 05, from around the 5th to the 13th or so.

We love the snow, & I've been to Alaska twice in the 80s--once in the summer & once in the winter (before kids--maybe 15 yrs ago--to Nome, Teller, Brevig, Kotzebue, & Anchorage).

Fabulous trips, wonderful people, incredible scenery & I"d love for our kids to experience the culture & uniqueness of Alaska.

We do also enjoy skiing, but could obviously find much less expensive destinations for skiing.

My interest in Alaska is the beauty, the people, the whole culture that i'd like our kids to experience.

I don't think the wildlife matter that much to the kids, but i'd like to be MOBILE--which may or may not be a problem, depending on the weather....

So, keep me posted on your thoughts about March in Alaska. We aren't able to get airline tickets for the summer so March is our only option right now.

Thanks! Sunflower
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 10:18 AM

We went to Anchorage the first weekend in March for the Iditarod and found the weather quite pleasant. It was in the 20's with no wind and party cloudy to sunny. Came back to 90 degree Phoenix weather.

I think some of the boat tours are open, altho I think they do a shorter tour than in the summer
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

THANKS for your response. We REALLY WANT TO GO TO ALASKA IN MARCH, so I appreciate your response & am pleased you had such a good experience in early March.

Where's the best place to see part of the IDitarod? I suppose at the beginning or at one of the earlier stops? (apart from flying to Nome for the ending, which we'd prefer not doing, I think)

Does anybody know how to figure out WHEN the best time & WHERE the best place is for viewing Northern Lights?

We'd be happy skiing a few days---downhill and cross country (as long as we could handle the temps!)

Given the unpredictable weather, would we be better off to base our week from Anchorage rather than planning on the Kenai P?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Sunflower

(who really wants to come to Alaska!)

SHorter boat tours are fine, and even if we don't luck out w/ weather in the 20s, as long as we don't have black ice & below zero temps, we would be okay.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 03:54 AM

The ceremonial start of the Iditarod is in Anchorage. Then everyone packs up and heads to the official start which is usually in Knik about an hour north. This year poor snow conditions in Knik forced a change in location. (Last year was pretty much snowless in Anchorage. They had to truck in snow.) The Jr Iditarod is held in late Feb for ages 14-18. There are other races you might consider attending. It might be more fun for your daughters to watch one where kids their age are competing.
Anchorage however is probably a poor viewing place for northern lights. It's a city and there's too much light.
The area with the most likelihood of viewing the northern lights in around Fairbanks. I don't think anyone understands why that it. You can visit links to info about the aurora by visiting Anchorage Daily News website www.adn.com
Keep in mind that there is public transportation between Seward/Anchorage and Homer/Anchorage if you don't feel comfortable driving between those points. The SeaLife Center in Seward is open during the winter. Read up on the Eagle Lady of Homer. She may still be feeding eagles which winter over in her area (until early March). Some restaurants close for the winter on the Kenai. It sounds like you can be flexible. Split your time between Anchorage and Seward, driving when conditions permit or take a commuter flight.
I hope you have a great time.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. Due to our kids' school schedules, we would arrive in Anchorage on Sat, March 6th, and not get to see the Anchorage start of the Iditarod. Would the Iditarod start in Knik be interesting enough for us to drive up there our first night in Alaska so we could see it on Sunday? I'd think "yes" but thought i should ask.

Fairbanks is way up there, right?, like maybe a day's drive? Would love to see the Northern Lights, but don't know if the long drive is worth it. What do you think?

Sounds like Seward & Homer would still be interesting, and that there are cool things to do w/ the Sea Life Center and the Eagle Lady and possibly some short boat tours.

We'd also enjoy going skiing for a few days at Alysha (can't remember the name) Ski Resort s. of Anchorage, and would enjoy cross-country skiing for a half-day somewhere where there's snow.

Are flights within Alaska reasonable?

How would we learn about when to see dog races w/ kids mushing?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

sunflower