Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Northwest Strike? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/northwest-strike-29694/)

cathy green Jul 30th, 1998 01:43 PM

Northwest Strike?

Our travel agent warned us that our flights next week may be jeopardized because of a possible Northwest Airlines strike. Does anyone have any information about this????? Thanks!

Nancy Jul 31st, 1998 05:37 AM

I don't think next week should be a problem. Yesterday, the arbitrator basically concluded that the sides can't come to a meeting of the minds, so there is now a "cooling-off" period before they can go on strike. I believe the earliest they can strike is August 31. <BR>

Cassie Jul 31st, 1998 07:01 AM

Nancy is right - the earliest they can possibly strike is August 31. Even then, the president can stop it, just like he did 2 years ago with the American Airlines pilot strike. That strike started at midnight and by 12:10 or so, the president ordered the pilots back to work. I have tickets 2nd week of September so obviously I hope the president intervenes again if it comes to a strike.

kittie Jul 31st, 1998 11:35 AM

Cathy: Check the Northwest Airlines web page at www.nwa.com. Under the "corporate information" area it has questions and answers about the strike. <BR>My parents have tickets on NWA for August 31st to go from Detroit to Vancouver, so I am very interested in this also! <BR>Kittie <BR>

kittie Jul 31st, 1998 11:40 PM

According to the NWA web page the strike "cooling off" impasse period ends at 12:01am on August 29th. At that time the pilot's union can call a strike. I may change my parent's tickets to a couple of days before so that they will definitely be in Vancouver on the 31st to get on the cruise! <BR>Kittie <BR>

Mike Aug 1st, 1998 07:43 PM

When an airline goes on strike most major airlines become very accomadating (because they want your business). Back when American went on strike I had tickets on them to go from DFW-LAX and they immedatly refered me to Delta. Ever since then I've only been flying Delta and have yet to have a problem. With my new job I've been doing a lot of business travel and they are very good to their customers. Check out with NWA and see what they say about your ticket if it does happen. Good luck. <BR>

VERNN Aug 2nd, 1998 06:16 PM

REGARDING YOUR TICKETS ON NORTHWEST: ANTICIPATE <BR>THE WORST. MANY TIMES AIRLINES TRY TO DOWNPLAY <BR>PROBLEMS BETWEEN THE COMPANY AND ITS' LABOR UNIONS. <BR>REMEMBER THEY DON'T WANT TO LOOSE YOUR BUSINESS. <BR>PROTECT YOURSELF AND SEE IF YOUR TICKETS ARE REFUND- <BR>ABLE AND IF SO START SHOPPING FOR A COMPARABLE FARE <BR>WITH ANOTHER AIRLINE. AS A FLIGHT ATTENDANT FOR <BR>AMERICAN AIRLINES, OUR UNION STRUCK FOR 5 DAYS IN <BR>1993 DURING THE THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY. OUR CUSTOMERS <BR>DID NOT HEED OUR WARNINGS GIVEN MONTHS IN ADVANCE <BR>AND FOUND THEMSELVES STRANDED . <BR>

Bob Brown Aug 3rd, 1998 09:19 AM

I have a follow-up question related to the possible NW strike. NorthWest flies to Europe in partnership with KLM. If NorthWest goes out, does anyone know how that would impact the KLM flights from the USA to Europe?? That is, would KLM cancel in sympathy? <BR>Or would KLM keep flying?? <BR>