Northern New Mexico - Southern Colorado solo trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2020, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on a solo trip this summer to New Mexico for a week to two weeks. I'm interested in more of the Northern region and getting into the southern part of Colorado. I'm from Pennsylvania and have been to New Mexico before, but am thinking I may want to make a move there within the next couple of years. So, part of this trip is to also explore areas where I might want to rent for the first year, and take weekend camping trips.

Any suggestions on must see destinations from the Northeast section of the state to the Northwest, are appreciated. Also, any opinions on towns to move to. I've been to Santa Fe, and it seems a little steep price wise for what I'd be looking for a rental. More than anything,

-Chris
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 11:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to Fodors! How are you planning on getting from PA to NM? Flying is your quickest option. Driving your own vehicle is a slower but perhaps cheaper option. One of my favorite ways to New Mexico is on the Amtrak Southwest Chief. The first stop in New Mexico coming from Chicago is Raton. Rent a car in Raton and check out a few other towns in Colorado and northern NM.
Try to make it as far west as Mesa Verde NP in Colorado
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 12:43 PM

Keeping in mind the title of your thread, Durango in southern Colorado might be less pricey than Santa Fe or Taos; Albuquerque could also be a possibility.
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Flying, probably into Albuquerque.
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 02:33 PM

I've only visited as a tourist so dont' know comparisons for living situations. I stayed at a dude ranch for a week outside DUrango one year, and I think that would be a good choicer as I bet it is a lot cheaper than Santa Fe. I guess you want to know places to visit where you might move, not for sightseeing right? Fir sightseeing, I visited some Indian ruins in the Four COrners area that were interesting. Of course you have Mesa Verde. So I recommend the Aztec Ruins near Farmington. Mesa Verde is west of Durango and a bit south of Cortez.

Old Mar 7th, 2020, 05:02 AM

In addition to the ruins Christina mentions there is Bandelier national monument about an hour west of Santa Fe, salmon ruins, close to Bloomfield, ChacoCanyon, southwest of Bloomfield, elMorro/Inscription rock, west of Albuquerque, to name a few.

Old Mar 12th, 2020, 05:10 PM

There is a Vietnam veterans' memorial in Angel Fire which is quite lovely. If you're on I-25, you could visit Fort Union east of Las Vegas. Chaco Canyon is in the northwest part of the state between Albuquerque and Farmington. Acoma Pueblo is about 40 minutes west of Albuquerque, Taos Pueblo is very interesting, and the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center in Albuquerque is worth a visit. There's the Santa Fe Opera, the Santa Fe Chamber Festival, things like that as well.

Lee Ann