Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Northern California help - the weather is ruining our plans! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/northern-california-help-the-weather-is-ruining-our-plans-605771/)

butter924 Apr 6th, 2006 03:59 PM

Northern California help - the weather is ruining our plans!

Hello,

We will be in Northern California Easter Week and had been planning to be in Yosemite. But with the weather (ie bad rain in NorCal/snow in Yosemite), we are looking to change our plans.

What else should we do when visiting NorCal, considering that it may rain all week? We've done SF and Napa isn't too fun when it's raining....any thoughts??

Thanks in advance!

nevermind Apr 6th, 2006 09:36 PM

How many of you are there? Are you a family or a couple? What do you like to do?

Why don't you see if you can rent a house at Sea Ranch, which is on the coast in Sonoma County, north of San Francisco - that would work out for either a couple or a family. Cozy fireplace if it is rainy, and pleasant walks and scenery if there is a break in the weather.

J_Correa Apr 7th, 2006 09:16 AM

I had to chuckle when I read your title. The weather has been ruining my plans for a month and a half - LOL. When is it going to stop!?!

How about the Monterey area? The rain shouldn't be as heavy as further north and it is beautiful in any type of weather.

KathrynT Apr 7th, 2006 10:00 AM

I can understand you not wanting to deal with the weather, but you might reconsider visiting Yosemite. The valley is gorgeous when there is snow on the ground and will probably be less crowded due to the weather. There are pictures on our local TV stations website today that might inspire you:
http://www.ktvu.com/slideshow/news/8...ws;dm=ss;w=400

I hope this helps. I think we will all be ready for spring!

utahtea Apr 7th, 2006 03:10 PM

I wouldn't let rain and snow change my plans, besides, it will be raining pretty much all over N. California.

There is alway a chance that the sun will come out for a little while, besides Yosemite is beautiful in any weather!

Utahtea

utahtea Apr 7th, 2006 03:11 PM

BTW, you said Easter week. Is that the week before or after Easter?

Utahtea

travelingtedrows Apr 7th, 2006 03:19 PM

Yosemite is beautiful in the snow. If it's raining, every waterfall will be going gushers. Water will be spilling everywhere. How can you go wrong at Yosemite?

iamq Apr 7th, 2006 03:48 PM

There were some beautiful pictures on the news here this morning taken at Yosemite and it looked absolutely gorgeous. There was snow on all the peaks, on the top of the valley and the falls were raging! Half Dome looks its best when it has a coating of snow on it! I wish I were going!

-Bill

youngtom2910 Apr 7th, 2006 03:56 PM

I agree with some of what is already said--what do you enjoy? I spent a month in pacific grove this spring, and enjoyed each change in the weather, unless i planned to play golf--the bech is fabulous in any weather--asilomar confernce grounds in pacific grove are popular--as is the north coast--sea ranch and points north--adn the sequoias north of there are pretty fabulous too

butter924 Apr 7th, 2006 03:58 PM

Thanks for all your responses!

It is the week after Easter and I think you guys are right....Yosemite should be beautiful no matter what and we shouldn't be scared off by the rain....No change in plans then! thanks!

trippinkpj Apr 7th, 2006 04:31 PM

Our rain now (at least in San Jose), has been scattered showers. We are getting some breaks. So still some rain showers, but it seems to be lightening up from what we had in March. I remember a gorgeous April many years ago in Yosemite, and we did have a little snow. :-)

utahtea Apr 7th, 2006 10:15 PM

Let's hope the weather pattern changes and it drys up a little after Easter! We need some sun so the wildflowers can bloom!

Utahtea