Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Northern California for 15 nights - suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My partner and I are in our late 20's and planning a Northern California holiday in September. This is our itinerary so far. My question is whether the days allowed for Monterey and Santa Barabara are too much/too little? We will have a car once we leave San Francisco and plan on doing lots of driving up and down the coast.

Here's our itinerary so far:

San Fran - 5 nights
Yosemite - 3 nights
Santa Barbara - 3 nights
Monterey - 4 nights

We love the beach, wineries, history, exploring, walking. We're not the kind of people that want to sit still when we're on holiday.

We plan on visiting Carmel, Hearst Castle etc. Also my partner would like to take a day trip out to the Channel Islands while staying at Santa Barabara.

What does everyone think? Any suggestions or changes?

Thanks!
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 01:25 PM

I have visited every park in California except Channel Islands. I really want to do an overnight stay there. You might consider it. A couple of kayak companies do that, all you would need to bring is food, for the most part.

Depending what all you want to do in Yosemite and how much hiking you want to do, you may be cutting it a little short. I haven't been in September, but I imagine that the waterfalls won't be much at that time. The high county would be nice.

Point Reyes, just a little north of SF is nice. If you run out of things to do in SF, you could take a day trip to it. I probably wouldn't do Muir Woods, since you are going to Yosemite-see Maripossa Grove of Giant Trees. Get Yosemite Reservations ASAP.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 01:32 PM

I would take a night from Santa Barbara and add it to Yosemite. That will give you 3 full days there, which you can fill up quite easily. As spirobulldog mentioned, the high country will be open, so that means that you will have tons more to the park to explore.

You might also consider taking a night from Monterey and staying somewhere in between SB and Monterey - this area is packed with great scenery and so if you make the drive over 2 days, you can see that much more.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 01:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
What about going North to Mendocino and even further to Trinidad?
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 02:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Consider taking a day away from Monterey and stay a night at the Pigeon Point Lighthouse HI Hostel. My DW and I love it there and it saves time getting back to SF
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Awesome. Thanks for the responses. OK we've adjusted our itinerary now - what do you think?

San Fran - 5 nights
Yosemite - 4 nights
Santa Barbara - 3 nights
1 night between SB and Monterey
Monterey - 3 nights
(15 nights is flexible - we can make it more or less)

spirobulldog - do you think 5 nights is too much in SF? you say "if you run out of things to do"....
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

one more thing - at yosemite we were planning at staying at a B&B in Oakhurst. Is this a good place to stay near Yosemite if you don't want to stay in the park?
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 04:54 PM

How about a visit to Napa when you're in the Bay area? You could drive up in the morning and visit some wineries and have a fine dinner and overnight stay, then head back the next morning.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 05:57 PM

It would be too much for me. But, there is plenty to do there to keep you busy for weeks. Just depends on what you want to see and do. San Francisco is definately one of the best spots in the world for food. I could certainly spend 5 days there eating.

Staying in the park is much much better, IMOP.

It would be too much for me. But, there is plenty to do there to keep you busy for weeks. Just depends on what you want to see and do. San Francisco is definately one of the best spots in the world for food. I could certainly spend 5 days there eating.

Old Apr 5th, 2011, 09:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"One more thing - at yosemite we were planning at staying at a B&B in Oakhurst. Is this a good place to stay near Yosemite if you don't want to stay in the park?"

Why would you not want to stay IN the Park? Not only in the Park - but in Yosemite Valley is by FAR the best place to stay.

From Oakhurst to the Valley will be a minimum of 90-minute drive each way - and often more like 2 hours. It is only 50 miles -- but mostly @ 30 mph.

It will take nearly an hour from Oakhurst just to Wawona -
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 10:22 AM

I would stay in Yosemite Valley if I could - even if it meant tent cabins and roughing it a bit. Oakhurst is south of the park, and to get to the high country, you'll have to pass through Yosemite Valley and then head up to the Toloumne area - that will be a long drive. If you can avoid back and forth to the south end of the park, it will save you a lot of time.

If you can't find lodging in Yosemite Valley, my next choice would be El Portal, which is outside the Arch Rock entrance and a much shorter drive into Yosemite Valley than from Oakhurst.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 10:55 AM

It is a beautiful drive between Santa Barbara and Monterey; you could stay in Pismo or Cambria as a stop off. Also about 1 hour north of Santa Barbara is Santa Ynez valley that is a great wine tasting area.

I think 5 nights in SF is good. You could do a couple of day trips from there, ie. Napa/Sonoma and take a ferry over to Sausalito/Tiburon for the afternoon.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 02:02 PM
SAB

5 nights in SF is good; 35 years even better!!! Seriously, 5 night will allow you to explore the City and surrounds, such as Sausalito, rather than just see the "major attractions".
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 03:12 PM

I agree - 5 days in SF is great. I love having time to see more of a city than just the highlights. I try to have at least a few days in every new large city I visit if I can swing it.

Cambria and Pismo Beach are great choices for an overnight between SB and Monterey. Pismo Beach has more of the classic California beach town vibe whereas Cambria is prettier and more romantic - more of an artsy vibe. So just a matter of which fits the experience you are looking for better.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:19 PM

If you love wine and our in San Fran you have to go to Napa. If you are willing to stay there I would stay in Yountville. If you're not willing to stay overnight then hire a private wine tour. They will pick you up at any hotel in San Francisco. I've used www.beauwinetours.com and they did a great job. The wine tour is worth the money and much less then a drunk driving ticket. My favorite winery with the best tour is Javis. The entire wine operation and tour is in their cave.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for all of the advice. we changed our accommodation on your good advice to stay within the park - now at yosemite view lodge. thanks!
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:44 AM

Consider yourself very lucky to get Yosemite Lodge at this date. Very Very lucky.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"we changed our accommodation on your good advice to stay within the park - now at yosemite view lodge"

Yosemite View lodge is not w/i the Park. Did you by any chance mean Yosemite Lodge? Yosemite Lodge IS in Yosemite Valley.

Yosemite View Lodge is in El Portal. It is a decent location and 10000% better than Oakhurst -- but still about a 35 minute drive to Yosemite Valley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -