Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Northern California 7 day trip - suggestions please!

Old Aug 24th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.. It's my first time posting here but I have read great suggestions offered in other topics!
I will be travelling with my wife, both in upper 20's to San Francisco on Friday, September 22nd night and flying out of SFO on Saturday, September 30th at 11PM. I am planning to cover Coastal highway, Yosemite and San Francisco during that time. I have a rough itenary in my mind which I wanted to share with you guys and get some suggestions on how to make it even better.

09/22 - Land at 10PM. Rent a car and stay the night in San Jose
09/23 - Visit Santa Cruz, Carmel, Monterey, Point Lobos and stay the night in Pacific Grove
09/24 - Try to cover the rest of Big Sur area which is closed but I really want to see McWay Falls and maybe other great areas on this day and stay the night in Fresno.
09/25 - Visit Yosemite ( enter the park from south entrance and tour valley)
09/26 - Visit Yosemite (Glacier point and other hikes? Can I also do Tioga Pass on this day)
09/27 - Yosemite and maybe Lake Tahoe? (If I am done with Yosemite on 2 complete days, I want to visit Lake Tahoe for a day)
09/28 - SF(will still have the car, so maybe can do Muir Woods and then drop off the car)
09/29 - SF
09/30 - SF ( Leaving at 11PM so will have most of the day)

Regarding Yosemite Lodging, I want to stay inside the park and they have unheated canvas tents available in Half Dome, waiting for heated ones to be available preferably wooden cabins. Talked to representatives and they suggested to keep looking as there will be more cancellations and they have alot of canvas tents open. Any ideas on some hikes would be helpful. Any chance of seeing waterfalls? Really want to do some stargazing.. I read some tours are available but nothing is showing for September yet.

Regarding coastal highway, I have 2 days for that but I know road is closed midway. Is it possible to cover the north half on first day and then drive towards south of Big Sur on second day? Is it worth taking 3 hour detour from Monterey? I am most confused about this so really need some help.

Really looking forward to hearing suggestions from you guys. Thanks!
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 08:35 AM

I will answer the Big Sur part of the question. Two days in Monterey is perfect to see Point Lobos and the open parts of Big Sur. Do not make the trek down to Cambria (via Hwy 101) just to see the southern part of Big Sur because it's not open and won't be until sometime next year. The most scenic part is what you will see from Monterey.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
But can I still see McWay Falls from northern part then? What other hikes/sites do you recommend in northern parts? I am not too keen on aquarium. I read about 17 mile drive and that sounds good.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 09:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Book the unheated tent NOW and then keep trying for one of the heated/cabins. Because people book YNP so far head there are frequent cancellations.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 11:02 AM

You can hike a trail that goes around the bridge and then rent electric bikes to get to McWay Falls. I would skip 17 Mile Drive unless you have extra time. Do not skip Point Lobos!
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

@janisj - Thanks, will do that! Also, do you think I should do Tioga pass on third day while leaving Yosemite or try to do it on second day itself?

@AustinTraveler - I just read about that electric bikes and it sounds fun. Will try to contact them. The only concern being, they will only offer those if the bridge is still closed and there are multiple reports saying the bridge might be open late September. So not sure, if I can book it early.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 01:25 PM

If the bridge is open when you are there, you won't have to worry about the bikes. But, it is highly doubtful the bridge will be finished by then. Latest reports say work will continue into October.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 02:20 PM

I'd take Tioga Pass as your exit route on the way to Tahoe. Then north up 395. The drive is only about 4.5 hours. But the high country is soooooo gob smacking gorgeous, you can plan on taking most of the day for the trip -- and possibly squeeze in a detour to Bodie.
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 05:05 PM

I posted a report with photo of the 26 miles of Hwy 1 south o Carmel that's currently accessible by car http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...os-6102017.cfm Initial estimates for the reopening of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge were mid to late September but Caltrans has just stated that it's looking more like October. You can still get to McWay Falls by hiking the Community Bypass Trail at Pfeiffer Big Sur and renting an electric bike to ride the 11 or so miles one way. Info on the hike/bike option as well as the trails that are currently open are in the linked thread.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys.. Some great advice here.
Looks like I will book the electric bike option and do it on Sunday. Hopefully can go till Nepenthe.. Read so much about it, do want to try it out!
Another question, considering that Mariposa Grove is closed in Yosemite, where do you guys suggest I should see Sequoias? Coming from Midwest, never saw them so they are on my wish list. I have the option of seeing them in Muir Woods(while entering San Fran from north) or Henry Cowell(while going towards Monterey) or Sequoia National Park(this is hard but might be able to squeeze an hour or two for this).
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 06:35 AM

For Coastal Redwoods I suggest Henry Cowell or Big Basin. The problem with Muir Woods is it will still be high tourist season and parking is close to impossible. Besides, you are not coming from the north.

The redwoods you see in the mountains are Giant Sequoias, a different species. Both are worth seeing.

Also, look for paper guidebooks on Yosemite etc. at your library or bookstore. They will tell you a lot. And you may be underestimating drive times.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 07:46 AM

If you really need/want to see Giant Sequoias check out Calaveras Big trees

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=551

The parks is about a 3 hour drive from Yosemite Valley. I'd consider driving there from the coast and then enter YNP

Henry Cowell for Coastal redwoods.

Unfortunately I don't think you have time for either SNP or Calaveras (unless you drop Tahoe)
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 11:15 AM

See coastal redwoods at Henry Cowell near Santa Cruz. There are also some groves at Pfeiffer Big Sur. I would only go to Muir Woods if you have no other opportunity to see them.

There are two small groves of giant sequoias, Merced and Tuolumne, at Yosemite https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvis...iposagrove.htm

Or skip Tahoe and add a night in Sequoia/Kings Canyon where the largest trees and groves are.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Emmajm, janisj, patty - thanks for the suggestions.

I did see the route and it does look like I have to chose between Lake Tahoe and Calaveras. I have to be in Sacramento that night to meet couple of friends so I am leaning towards Lake Tahoe. I am hoping to see some giant sequoias in Tuolomne Meadows.

Also, do you guys know if there is any place along the PCH I can rent jet ski or do parasailing? I have been looking to find a place but there doesn't seem to be any and the only place where I could find them is in Lake Tahoe.

And, can you guys please suggest on any good hikes for September in Yosemite? We are looking to do some moderate hiking and maybe rent a bike in Valley. For sunset, I am thinking to go to Glacier Point for one night and stay in valley for other. What about sunrise? Is Tunnel View a good place to be in early morning?
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Just read the Glacier point road is closed due to fire Any ideas whether it might still be closed during the last week of Sept?
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 10:42 AM

I can't think of any place that offers jet skis or parasailing in the Monterey or Santa Cruz area - its not a common thing. The water is cold, which limits the amount of time people can spend in the water without wet suits and the currents are pretty strong. There are also rules about jet skis due to the marine sanctuary just off the coast.
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 01:40 PM

For hiking in Yosemite, I would recommend Vernal Falls and Taft Point/Sentinel Dome. We did Vernal Falls, then kept going to Clark Point (I believe) to come back down on the John Muir Trail. It was nice to not have to go back down the crowded, wet steps and to see the falls from above. For Taft Point, we parked at the stop along Glacier Point Rd and did the easy hike out to Taft Point. There is then another trail that relatively follows along the edge of the cliff and up to Sentinel Dome, then you have an easy walk down to Glacier Point where you can catch the shuttle back to your car. These were our two favorite hikes there, and we did them both in one day. We also did sunrise at Glacier Point and enjoyed it. Hopefully Glacier Point Rd will be open for you all!

Something else we did in Yosemite that we ended up really liking was renting an old car and driving around for half a day. The guy that owns the Tin Lizzie Inn has a collection of 1920s and 30s cars that he rents out for either a half day or full day. This was a birthday gift for my husband, and I didn't expect to enjoy that near as much as I did, but it was so fun and different from anything we had done before. And if you've never been to Yosemite, coming around that turn to see Tunnel View for the first time is amazing, especially so in one of those old cars with the roof down.

I also second the recommendation of Big Basin for the redwoods. We stopped there on our way up the coast from Cambria to SF and really enjoyed it. I lived in Santa Clara for a couple months, and if I remember right it's about an hour from there, and Santa Clara was 20 min or so from the San Jose Airport.
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 01:58 PM

Big Basin is a bigger detour vs Henry Cowell on the way to Monterey.
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 02:27 PM

Patty is right -- Big Basin is farther off the beaten path/much less convenient than Henry Cowell