Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Northeast/Mid-Atlantics States History/Beach Vacation

Old Apr 19th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this forum and hope I can get some great ideas.
We are planning a 2 week July vacation for myself, husband, 14 year old son and 12 year old daughter.
We live in Mass and want to possibly take a driving trip making several stops and ultimately stayfor 5-7 nights on a beach.

So my preliminary ideas are - head to NYC (visit a relative) and go into the city for a day. Maybe do a open top bus tour and the Statue of Liberty. The kids don't really want to see NY, but I think they might like it this way for a quick taste.

Then go onto maybe Hershey Park 1 or 2 nights?
Followed by DC for 2-3 nights.
Maybe another stop somewhere interesting along the way? Any ideas.
Then we were thinking a beach town. This is where I really have no clue. (An idea of a destination we love is to go to Disneyworld, stay on property and never have to drive to get to see things, shop and eat.) I am hoping to find a destination that is on the beach, walking distance to shopping and restaurants and other activities. Hopefully kayaking nearby if not walking distance. Can anyone think of towns in the Maryland, Virginia, maybe northern North Carolina that may fit that bill? Would prefer warmer water than we get in New England. Upper 70's maybe?

We were considering renting a car and flying home, if the rental isn't too crazy, otherwise we will drive both ways and find another place to stop at least 1 night on the way back.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks I know it was long but I really appreciate any ideas.
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 07:49 PM

Recommend VA beach for 4-5 days. The beach is very different from what you generally experience in MA. Personally we've stayed at the Sheraton on the boardwalk and found it to be a nice hotel and great location. Definitely stop in DC for a few days, as well as at least a day or two in Williamsburg (history plus Busch Gardens and a nice water park).
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I will check into it. Are there plenty of restaurants to walk to? i have been there 20+ years ago and don't remember it much at all. I only feel like there weren't many restaurants, but again that was a long long time ago. I will look into Williamsburg, that would probably be a great place to take the kids.
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 04:05 AM

Ocean City NJ would be an option too. Large boardwalk where you can rent sure bikes. Numerous restaurants along the boardwalk.
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 06:32 AM

If you decide to drive back, consider taking the Bay Bridge/Tunnel from the Va beach area to the DELMARVA and stopping at Chincoteague NP. The kids could see the wild ponies and stop at the beautiful beach or hike some of the paths in the park.

Then head north to Lewes, DE and take the ferry to Cape May, NJ. Take the Garden State Pky to the Tappan Zee Bridge.
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 06:59 AM

Plenty of restaurants within walking distance in VA Beach. They "cleaned up" the boardwalk within the last 10-15 years so it's family friendly versus when you may have last been there

Also agree 100% with emalloy on the Bay Bridge/Tunnel and Chincoteague!

In DC we like to stay in Crystal City at a hotel near one of the metro stops. No matter where you stay in DC be prepared to WALK a lot! But it's a great city to visit with kids your age, so much to see and do that is free (bonus!). Metro is very safe and clean on the touristy routes. Also consider the drive to Dulles and the Smithsonian Air and Space museum at that location (about 45-60 minutes west of DC). It is AMAZING and well worth the trip.
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much this is great! I recently got on a fish forum as my fish were dying and found great support, so it dawned on me there must be the same in travel. I guess I was right.
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Virginia Beach or Ocean City - any recommendations on a condo on the beach/boardwalk looking for 2 bedrooms? or if not specific any areas better than others?
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 05:46 PM

Your kids might like Ocean City Maryland -- more of a youth vibe there but plenty of crowds at that time of year. Water temp will be a little warmer than NJ but not as warm as Carolinas. OC Maryland is about three hours from DC, if that is a factor in planning. Rehoboth Beach in Delaware is a little bit more small-town with a smaller boardwalk but fewer hotels. It doesn't have the honky-tonk feel of OC Maryland. It's maybe a half-hour closer to DC.
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 06:44 AM

Hello JRondoS,

Since you mention history, I thought I'd throw in my ideas of favorite spots in that area to see US History first-hand. All have plenty to do once you park within walking distance. There's even a Busch Gardens near Williamsburg if an amusement park like Hershey Park is desired.

Philadelphia!
Annapolis
Williamsburg, Va.

From these and other spots (truly, there are so many terrific options to choose from in the region), you can cut over to the Delaware coast or Virginia coast for beach.

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 02:32 PM

If you weren't insistent on being able to WALK to everything and really like "the beach" I can think of all sorts of locations on the Outer Banks but if you prefer the usual then I would agree that Virginia Beach is probably as good as any. Rehoboth is a bit more "refined" for sure.
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 08:57 AM

Skip Hershey and just go to Williamsburg. Busch Gardens is a much nicer park than Hershey IMO. Water Country is fun too, plus there's Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown.You didn't mention budget so I don't know if it would be too expensive but Kingsmill is very family friendly.

In addition to VA Beach and OC, there are the Jersey Shore beaches. Ocean City, NJ, Long Beach Island, and Stone Harbor are nice.
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Kingsmill seems great. As of now we are thinking of stopping in NYC for a day, then onto to DC for 3 nights and to Kingsmill/Williamsburg for another 3 nights, then to Virginia Beach to sit and do nothing on the beach for 4 or 5 nights. I think we will check out one of the NJ beaches on our way back home for a night or two after stopping at Chincoteague. I appreciate the help. I will be tweaking for a while, so if anyone has other points of interest I would love to hear.