North Shore rentals

Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:30 AM
BJ
Original Poster

North Shore rentals

Looking for more suggestions for North Shore Maui oceanfront rentals near Hookipa Beach. Can not seem to find much personal experience. Our plans are to hike most days and North Shore seems our best location. Someone out there must have stayed on the North Shore (budget conscious also). HELP

There looks like a few nice places near Hana but feel it is too far to drive daily to explore the island.

Any suggestions?
Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:19 AM

Hi BJ,
A few years ago we stayed at http://www.peaceofmaui.com/ in the cottage. It is not ocean front but we were well satisfied for the price. The owners were very nice to work with-they picked us up at the airport as we also rented a car from them. The rooms in the main house are even less expensive but shared baths/kitchens etc-I didn't go in so can't comment on those.
Good luck!!
Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:38 AM

Aloha BJ,

I remember reading a good trip report on this board a few years ago... tried to find it to no avail. The poster stayed in a beachfront cottage and loved everything about it. I googled and found this site...

http://www.hookipa.com/rentals.html

Have read in another trip report that Paia by the Sea was a great rental. Happy hunting.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 09:07 PM

Call Brigit at Ho`okipa Haven. She will be a great help to you. (808) 579-8282 Tell her what you want and she can search the rental database for you.

You'll probably have the best luck looking for a rental in Ha`iku.
Apr 24th, 2005, 06:13 AM
BJ
Original Poster

I contacted Hookipa Haven, as suggested. I was given a properties Kai Hale Cottage, Hale Hookipa, Kilohana apartments and Aleika Cottages. Anyone heard of any of these.

"here_today_gone2Maui" You said you had stayed at the Pa'ia Bay Cottage in an earlier suggestion. Hookipa questioned the privacy issue on this one. What do you think? Too close to the main house? Thanks for all your help. This search becomes exhausting.
Apr 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM

We stayed there two-three years ago, when the cottage was first built. I found it to be very private. At that time the owners lived in the main house with their teenage sons and we only really saw them in the driveway when we were coming or going. I had a fabulous, very private massage by the hotub one afternoon, but I suppose it would depend on who is staying in the main house and if they are around a lot. I am pretty sure they do not rent to families with small children because of the rocky, steep drop off on the point.

As for the other houses, I am only familiar with Kai Hale, and then from the outside only. It seems to be nice, but I've never stayed there.

Do you want to be on a swimming beach, because neither of these are on a good beach, but the Pa`ia Bay Cottage is an easy walk to Pa`ia Beach, and a very short walk into Pa`ia Town. It is maybe two minutes walk to Charleys, which is why we chose it when we did. We wanted to be able to park the car, walk to the beach, walk to breakfast, and go out at night and walk back after partying.

Kai Hale is on Tavares or Kuau Bay. There are several cottage rentals there, but the beach has suffered from erosion (not seasonal--true beach loss) and there is a reef close to the shore. As with all of the north shore beaches, conditions can be rough, especially in winter months. You can find many ocean front rentals, but very few are on truly swimming beaches. I would suggest you find a cottage you like in your price range and accept the fact that you will probably have to drive to Baldwin or Pa`ia for beach time.

Another place to try is windsurfari.com or www.maui.cc
Apr 24th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Also, BJ, I have pictures of the Pa`ia cottage, on my laptop which I left at my office this weekend. I can email you some so you can see just where the main house and cottage are in relation to each other. You can send me your email address to gone_2m[email protected]