North Shore Kauai vs. the Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 01:01 PM
RRR

Hi Everyone:

I am planning my first trip to the Big Island in November and I am looking for some information to set my expectations properly.

I went to Kauai last year and before going to Kauai, I had read a lot of information on Fodors about the South Shore. It seemed to be the favored place for a lot of people so when I visited, I expected a lot. However, when I saw the North Shore in comparison to the South Shore, IMHO, it was no where near as beautiful. I did the normal South Shore recommended tourist things but I changed hotels to the North Shore and preferred hanging out on that side of the island. Obviously, everyone has their preference as to what they are looking for and my preference is lush and green. Others prefer a more arid climate and surroundings which is great too - just not my preference.

I know that every island is different but I have read a few postings that the Kohala Coast is more dry and barren than the Hilo side of the island. Should I expect a stark contrast to the Hilo side vs the Kona side like in Kauai? I plan to split my trip up between the two sides of the island and do the Volcanos for a few days but this information may dictate where I decide to spend the rest of my time. Is the area south of Kailua - Kona a good balance between the two sides ie not rainy all the time but less dry than above Kona?

Also, if the Hilo side is wetter, should I expect rain every day? Or is the rain typical Hawaii rain - rain a little, sun a little etc. I am going November 17 - 24 (7 nights) if that makes any difference.

One other question - can I expect whales this early in the season?

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 03:36 PM
Sandy

Aloha,
We like the Puna district soouth of Hilo. It is a very tropical, lush area and gets less rain than Hilo. Get the guide book "The Big Island Reveled" to help you make your decision. The beautiful white sand beaches are all on the drier Kona side of the island, but each side has it's own charm.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 04:29 PM
David

I used to live in Hilo and recently got back from a week on the Kohala Coast (Mauna Kea Resort). Anyway, the two sides could not be any more extreme than they already are. Both are pretty much as you described and offer different things to do. I know some who absolutely hate the Kona / Kohala side due to moon-like landscape. I on the other hand really enjoy the peace, tranquility, and lack of rain (approx. 10 inches a yr.). Hilo, while quite beautiful, is not very tourist friendly and can rain as much as 100-150 inches a yr. Kauai is probably the most lush of the islands I've been to and least crowded. That's my biggest knock on Maui is how commercialized and touristy (sp?) it's become. Enjoy!

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 06:26 AM
angie

Aloha RRR,

The 2 previous post are both very accurate. I'll just add a few comments to the above posts

Should I expect a stark contrast to the Hilo side vs the Kona side like in Kauai?

The "Kona side" or the west side of the island is huge. Being such a large area the contrasts in weather, elevation and flora is vast. The north side of Kauai receives the most rainfall as does the Hilo area. So comparatively speaking the east side of the island and north side of Kauai are designated at "rain forests".

Is the area south of Kailua - Kona a good balance between the two sides ie not rainy all the time but less dry than above Kona?

The Kohala Coast north of Kona is drier and contains the mega-resorts very much like the Princeville Resort on Kauai. These are very lush and green due to man-made intervention. Travel to the east side of the island from the Kohala Coast is very convenient since the Saddle Road, the quickest trans-island road, is located near by. The area around the town of Kailua-Kona is also a good choice due to the fact that it has a balance of rain for greenness and great trade wind for cooling breezes.

Also, if the Hilo side is wetter, should I expect rain every day?
Yes expect rain every day and cloudy conditions, and if the sun does shine for a extended period of time you'll be pleasantly surprised.

One other question - can I expect whales this early in the season?
Whale migration season run between Jan.-Mar.

Have a wonderful vacation!!

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 06:49 AM
John

I'd only add that the Kohala coast area is pretty convenient for some wonderful car-based touring, especially up to Kamuela and the Parker Ranch country. The Ranch (at one point at least the largest in the US) is a fascinating bit of history and geography, and the landscape is utterly gorgeous. As one climbs up the mountains above the ocean, the foliage changes from subtropical to pine forest and the pastures are greener than you can imagine. Kamuela also has a couple of the best restaurants on the island, too. Great country, not very touristy, and really eye-opening stuff. http://www.parkerranch.com/

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 10:24 AM
juli

We just came back from a vacation to the north shore and the Kailua-Kona area, with a trip over to Hilo.

On whales: You might get lucky in November, but it's not the sure bet that January or February would be. We actually saw as many whales off Hawaii (south end of Kona) as Kauai this time; usually Kauai is the whale-o-rama. Great to see more of them on the BI.

IMHO the contrast between Kona/Kohala and Hilo is MUCH more stark than Poipu vs. Princeville. The drives around via Waimea and the Saddle Road are fascinating just to see the changing climates and landscapes. Hilo will give you the partly-rainy days thing but in my experience it's a whole lot rainier than the north shore of Kauai. Pack a poncho every day.

We have stayed in Kohala and in the south end of Kona around Keahoe. I think Kona might give you the more balanced climate--Kohala's mighty sunny and dry, all lush greenery is imported--but if you like the beach, don't stay in Kona. You'll end up driving to Kohala. The area south of Kona down towards Kealakekua is lovely and interesting--coffee farms, small towns, the City of Refuge at Ho'onaunau which is NOT to be missed, and Kealakekua bay itself whether reached by hike (for the very fit) or by boat (for the lazy--like me).

For what it's worth we did a helicopter trip over the volcano from Hilo (Blue Hawaiian) which was worth every nickel.

Post or e-mail if I can help you out at all.

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 10:33 PM
mj

Just back from three weeks on the Big Island. We split our trip with one week exploring Volcano and Waipio area and two weeks in South Kona with a couple days spent at the one of the big Kohala resorts. We had mixed feelings about the Island. Loved Volcano area and exploring hot pools in kapoho. Also really enjoyed the Waipio Valley. (Several great B & B's up top to serve as a base) South Kona was great: little lei stands on the side of the road, coffee farms, very local feel with a lot of aloha. Kailua Kona a big disappointment. Too much traffic, too much erratic development. Beaches are still the best in the Kohala area but the landscape is so desolate on the drive up. Hawi area beautiful. If you are fairly mobile, get a copy of "the big island revealed" and hike into to some of the more remote beaches listed. The Big Island is very different from Kauai. I, too, love the Northshore. The Big Island grows on you but it has a very different feel than Kauai.
Enjoy your trip.