Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   North Georgia Lake Cabin (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/north-georgia-lake-cabin-693085/)

klpsmom Apr 1st, 2007 03:51 PM

North Georgia Lake Cabin

Hoping for some input on the N GA area for a 5-7day vacation at the end of June. We've decided on N GA b/c it's w/in easy driving distance from FL. We are a family of 6, w/ kids ages ranging from 14y-8y...we'll also be traveling w/ grandma.

We're hoping for a nice cabin (w/ AC! :) ) directly on a lake where we could fish/swim/pinic w/ nearby activities. I'm overwhelmed by all the choices I've seen on the net especially when we do not know the area at all.

I've searched the posts here, but they seem a bit dated. Please help!

Thanks so much!

egret Apr 1st, 2007 04:17 PM

We have stayed at these cabins for years. They are a reputable rental group with lots of cabins--some on lakes, some perched on hillsides, and some in the woods. The cabins are wonderful and we wouldn't think of renting anywhere else.
They are Black Bear Rental Cabins and their website is www.blackbearcabinrentals.com

starrsville Apr 1st, 2007 04:19 PM

klpsmom,
Hwy 76 runs east-west across N GA, just a little bit below the TN line. There are a lot of mountain lakes along 76 with crystal clear water and mountain scenery.

My personal favorites are Lake Burton and Lake Rabun in Rabun County outside Clayton GA. I'd start with vrbo.com I guess.

I have one other suggestion, but I'll look for the website first.

lovetolaugh Apr 1st, 2007 04:52 PM

I agree with Starrsville on her recommendation. It's my favorite area in North Georgia where we always vacationed when I was a kid. Both lakes are equally beautiful and there's plenty of things for the kids to do.

klpsmom Apr 1st, 2007 05:21 PM

egret~~I did run across your past recommendation for blackbearrentals and checked them out. The cabins we were interested in were booked for the dates we were looking at. I've got the site bookmarked just in case!

starsville and lovetolaugh~~thanks for the area recommendation! I'm definitely going to research both lakes and check out the vrbo link.......

:)!

starrsville Apr 1st, 2007 05:46 PM

klpsmom, I took a look at vrbo.com. I would NOT get a rental on Lake Lanier. Close to Atlanta, not a real "mountain lake", very busy, very big and iffy water quality IMO.

When you look at Lake Burton properties, be careful to be sure they are lakeFRONT properties. One sounds like it is, but is lake view.

Also, I wouldn't rent on Lake Seed (it's the third lake between Burton and Rabun. It's just fine, but more of a dammed river (which is is) than a lake.

If the rental doesn't include a boat, call Anchorage Boat Dock or Anchorage Marine for names of rental companies.

I like Burton better than Rabun, because it's bigger, but too big (like Lanier or Hartwell).

klpsmom Apr 1st, 2007 06:04 PM

Starrsville, you must have just read my mind b/c I was just about to ask about Lanier and Seed after looking at vrbo.....

What about Chatuge?

Thanks again! You've been tremendously helpful!!

starrsville Apr 1st, 2007 06:09 PM

Chatague is nice.
I just like the NE corner of GA and Rabun and Burton - but I am biased and the others are very nice.

Cimbrone's mountain place is outside Ellijay.

All along 76 will be good. I grew up on Lanier and will not go out on it anymore (again, a biased opinion) and Hartwell is wonderful but not "mountain" and "cool" enough for me.

kenrf Apr 1st, 2007 06:18 PM

I highly recommend the Ga. State Parks. In north Ga. there are cabins at Black Rock, Cloudland Canyon, Fort Mountain, Tugaloo, and many others. Near Augusta, Ga. is Missletoe. My wife and I have been to all of these places, and we like them all. Go to www.gastateparks.org for information and reservations.

RedRock Apr 1st, 2007 06:26 PM

The North GA mountains are nice.... but. You could go a few miles to the North and be in the GSMNP. http://www.nps.gov/grsm/

starrsville Apr 1st, 2007 06:31 PM

And, a WHOLE bunch of us only go to the NP about, maybe once a decade or so. Lots of reasons NOT to go, including traffic and tourists.

knrf, I'm not sure the state park cabins will accomodate (comfortably) the party, but its a good low-cost option. I stayed at the one on Hartwell last year for a kayak trip and there's a state park ON Black Rock Mountain SP - highest SP in GA. Lake Burton (or Rabun) would be a short drive away).

klpsmom Apr 1st, 2007 06:45 PM

Hmmmm, state parks.....not sure that's what we're looking for. Sounds a bit too rustic. Kids might like it, but, er, I'M not much into REAL camping etc. :D

Sounds like a good idea for a day visit though.

iceeu2 Apr 1st, 2007 11:00 PM

klpsmom, check out Big Canoe. Great gated community with rentals. Lakes, pool, golf, paddleboats, rock slide, hiking trails, picnic sites.

It's a fun, beautiful place in the north GA mountains.

bigcanoe.com