Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

North Cascades/Day hikes 1hr to 7hrs round trip most scenic/ Lodging recommendations

North Cascades/Day hikes 1hr to 7hrs round trip most scenic/ Lodging recommendations

Apr 21st, 2005, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

I think I've said it all in the message title except "National Park" was omitted.
Would welcome any and all replies.
Apr 21st, 2005, 08:03 PM

This URL (and the book it notes) would be a good place to start:

www.nps.gov/noca/hiking.htm
Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:24 AM

Cascades Pass. about 3 to 5 hours depending on how you want to go. get hike and beautiful in the pass.

this trail has more switchbacks than any i have been on and it makes it really easy to get up. my favorite part tho is the sign at the beginning of the trail that says NO GUNS!

i used a book called "don't waste your time in the North cascades to pick out hike, got it on amazon.

i stayed at the skagit river resort, but don't be fooled these are rustic or just caught up in the 60's housekeeping cottages. if you can get past the shag rugs, linoleum floors and all the rabbits running around the property you'll do fine.

there are a few b&b's that are nicer but there are not a lot of places to choose from, no chain hotels. you should do a google lodging search for the area. the cascades were really beautiful. do the pass hike.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:34 AM

Are you thinking of staying along Rt 20 or going into Stehekin at the northern end of Lake Chelan? My suggestion would be to definitely spend some time at the latter. You can either take a boat or fly in from Chelan.

From Stehekin, there is a bus that I believe goes about 25 miles into the park, and you can get off and hike along various trails and pick up the return bus later in the day.

Perhaps someone can give you more up to date info, but I think that area had some damage from floods this year. I imagine you could also get the info on the National Park site for Stehekin Valley.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:47 AM

Check out this site for more current info on Stehekin.
http://www.nps.gov/noca/focus/focus.htm

We were there years ago, and I see a lot has been added, but we stayed at North Cascades Lodge, and it was fine. Day trippers around during the day because it's right by the boat landing, but we were out hiking then. Had dinner at the ranch one night, and weren't impressed by that facility.
Apr 24th, 2005, 04:55 AM

if you are going to lake chelan, i stayed at the end of the lake in chelan and took the boat to steheken and did day hiking.

it was the year of the fires so the views were well smoky. but it worked out good for me, found a local hotel with a pool and relaxed after hiking.

hikes were ok but it was more the whole experience that was appealing.