Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   North Carolina - Where to visit in October (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/north-carolina-where-to-visit-in-october-623647/)

hortonrn Jun 14th, 2006 08:37 PM

North Carolina - Where to visit in October

We are a couple of couples in our 50s that plan to visit NC in October. Suggestions as to location and what to do are sought. We are sightseeing but also looking at communities for possibly moving there

Regards

Neil

cmcfong Jun 15th, 2006 03:35 AM

Old Salem in Winston-Salem is an exceptional point of interest for those who enjoy history. www.oldsalem.org While there have lunch at either Opies Southbound Bistro or Mary's Of Course. This area is located right off I-40.
The beach communities around Wilmington are lovely and worth a visit.
In October the leaves will be changing and the areas around Asheville and Blowing Rock are just lovely.
The Blue Ridge Parkway runs from the Virginia line down through Asheville and is a great slow paced way to see some of the prettiest areas.
Take a look at http://www.visitnc.com to prepare yourself and see a bit of what this beautiful state has to offer.

GeorgeW Jun 15th, 2006 04:45 AM

October is a beautiful time to enjoy the Wilmington area beaches. The heat and humidity is down as are the crowds. I'd be there this year in October but my wife gives birth to number six in September.

xrae Jun 15th, 2006 08:35 AM

I gotta vote for the mountains in October.

Gretchen Jun 15th, 2006 10:33 AM

October at the beach is sublime.

kswl Jun 15th, 2006 10:35 AM

Ditto for Wilmington, but the Asheville/Blowing Rock/Flat Rock area is lovely.

GeorgeW, congratulations to Mrs. George!

ncgrrl Jun 15th, 2006 11:21 AM

Ah, what a wonderful opportunity, beach or mountains. You cant' go wrong with either. However, if you decide on mountains, reserve hotel rooms now.

George, child #6? What type of car holds the whole family?

Norden1 Jun 15th, 2006 11:56 AM

Should be perfect weather, just try to cover as much of the state as possible.
You can't go wrong any where, you'r going to love it.
Calif person

bonniebroad Jun 15th, 2006 12:55 PM

Agree with all the experts above! :-) You'll totally fall in love with our mountains in the Fall, but make your reservations like SOON! The Coast is fabulous then also .... I'd do half and half, stopping to spend the day at Old Salem or maybe Duke campus/Sarah Duke Gardens as you cross from one side of the state to the other.

Now, repeat after me: GO TAR HEELS!!!!!!!! :p

hortonrn Jun 16th, 2006 09:47 PM

Thanks for the replies to all!!!

kaslcsw Jun 17th, 2006 08:31 AM

Grandfather Mountain is beautiful in the summer. I'm not sure about in October.

cmcfong Jun 17th, 2006 09:41 AM

Grandfather Mountain is beautiful in October...in fact, the whole darned state is beautiful in October.

bonniebroad Jun 17th, 2006 09:47 AM

You're right about that ... cmcfong!!! (And by the way, GO HURRICANES!!! :-d)

cmcfong Jun 17th, 2006 11:49 AM

I am with you, Bonnie! I don't want to sit through TWO more games. Tonight's the night!

bonniebroad Jun 17th, 2006 02:12 PM

cmcfong, thank God I've had the U.S. Open and U.S./Italy soccer to get me through the afternoon. My butterflies are the size of New Jersey ... May the Hockey Gods be just tonight, if you know what I mean!!! ;;)

GO 'CANES!!!!!!!!!! :-d

Gretchen Jun 18th, 2006 10:48 AM

Sometimes you get beaten and sometimes you beat yourself. The 'Canes, unfortunately, showed that you really can do both at the same time.

SAnParis Jun 19th, 2006 09:07 AM

Everyone will be going to the Mts. in October, in fact, if you don't already have reservations, that may be difficult. For that very reason, we go to the beach. The weather & water are at their very best & you will basically have the beach to yourself. The Brunswick Islands come to mind, I also like the W-S suggestion, particularly if you like to dabble in wines.