North carolina- smoking

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

North carolina- smoking

what is the law with regards to smoking in NC?

I am talking about restaurants, stores, movies.

Thanks
melissa
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 11:25 PM

Same as everywhere else- well, except there may be more resturaunts with smoking sections than the PNW (almost none at all). Hoping you're not a smoker
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

No I am not a smoker but am used to no smoking in public here in NJ.
I am planning a trip to NC and was told by a friend that smoking is all over in the state. As my son has problems with smoke, I wanted to get more info.
Thanks
Melissa
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 08:05 AM

This is a good question, and one I'd like to know the answer to for other states as well.

mooselywild: The good news (depending on whether you're a smoker or not) is that it is not the same everywhere. There seems to be a trend toward total smoking bans (no more restaurant smoking sections allowed). This is now the law in NY, NJ, and I think FL. At least we found it to be the case in Naples. Not sure if it's a citywide or statewide ban.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Smoking is still common in North Carolina and is permitted in many restaurants. In recent years the number of non smoking restaurants has increased particularly in Asheville, Chapel Hill and Durham. The more rural the area, the more likely it is to find smoking permitted in the smoking section. I live in a county where many people still make a living off raising tobacco and some of our restaurants don't even have smoking sections, it is permitted throughout the restaurant! Not pleasant.
Like your son I have a strong aversion to cigarette smoke so I always ask when booking.
Original Poster

Thanks

Having lived in PA and MD before I moved south to SC and then NC I can appreciate our concern but I think that you will find many restaurants to be non-smoking or have large non-smoking sections. Smoking is not permitted in stores or movie theatres to my knowledge.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Oh, right- forgot about the smoking ban! Good news for us non-smokers. Haven't been on the east coast for a while, but I remember hearing about the NYC ban. Thought it was a great idea!

Cmcfong- oh, that's what I was trying to say, just came out muddled. Yep, same in rural WA. Sometimes it's because the restaurant is small, caters to the locals, who really don't see what the big deal is.

Melissa- consider!! When you make a hotel reservation- insist on a NON SMOKING room, if you're at all sensitive!
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:03 PM

melissa I'm with you. I felt awful after staying in a smoky room at Marriott Marquis in Atlanta. However, when I moved to the WESTIN, it was blissfully smokefree. The whole hotel! So go for it, look for a smokefree hotel, if possible! (p.s. I live in a tobacco state, too, and it's frustrating)
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:05 AM

No movie theater in the USA allows smoking in the theater.

For the Durham/Chapel Hill area, most restaurants and stores are smoke free. Some shopping centers with outdoor sections have some teen smokers, but it's too hot right now to stay outside for any period of time.

The RDU Hilton just went 100% smoke free rooms.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:40 AM

The only places in NC you'll find legal smoking are bars and restaurants. In Charlotte, you may even encounter the rare restaurant with no no-smoking section, but you'd either have to seek them out or get very, very unlucky.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 07:20 AM

Most restaurants have smoking sections but they seem to be getting smaller and smaller. I can't stand smoke and I live in NC but I have no problems going to restaurants. When you ask for the no-smoking section ask to be put as far away from the smoking section as possible. Your son will be fine.

No stores or tourist type places will allow smoking.

Have a great trip
April
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:29 AM

This post reminded me of my adventure moving from FL to VT (for a brief stay ) last summer and stopping at an Outback Rest. in SC for late dinner. We asked for non smoking section but it was right near the smoking section. I had forgotten how grateful I was to be in FL and not have that be an issue anymore. That's not why I moved back to FL but I just echo the tip about trying to stay far away from the smoking section.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:17 AM

Great idea, ban smoking in all public buildings. I used to go out, and come back smelling of nasty smoke. Couldn't get my clothes in the washer fast enough. Nearly everyone in my family over the age of 50 smokes. None of my cousins (under 50) smoke. Must be a generational thing.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:50 AM

If anyone is interested, you can get a list of totally smoke free restaurants in Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) at www.goforatmosphere.com.