Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   North Carolina (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/north-carolina-580428/)

torynsyn2 Jan 10th, 2006 08:58 AM

North Carolina

Hello,
I was wondering if there is anyone who can give me some information on North Carolina. My husband and I live in Chicago, were looking to relocate, however, I’m not sure what city is best for us and our kids. We don’t want to be too far from Charlotte, we would like to move in a very nice suburban area with a GREAT school district, houses ranging in the $200k. Can someone please help.

xrae Jan 10th, 2006 09:15 AM

Huntersville is a very nice area north of Charlotte. There are a lot of newer homes in the area, and all around nearby Lake Norman. I have no idea about any of the schools there, however.

ncgrrl Jan 10th, 2006 10:40 AM

There's been a lot of relocation threads in the past few months. Enter Charlotte under search this forum or click on North Carolina.

I don't know the Charlotte area enough to answer your questions, but you shouldn't have trouble finding a home in that price range. The State of North Carolina tests school kids on the "ABC's of accountablility" check the state departmetn of education website for scores.

torynsyn2 Jan 10th, 2006 12:05 PM

What do you all think about Mooresville, NC?

xrae Jan 14th, 2006 10:16 AM

Mooresville, aka "Race City USA." Many NASCAR race teams are located in and around Mooresville, Kannapolis, and Concord. I have friends who live in Mooresville. It seems like a nice town with a lot of new subdivisions.

http://www.ci.mooresville.nc.us/

torynsyn2 Jan 17th, 2006 07:58 AM

My focus is a good school. I have heard a lot about Mooresville, Conrnelius and Huntersville, out of all these cities which one do you think will be the best place for a 10 & 14yr old (which one is the nicest community) Also I will be working in Charlotte, how is traffic?

GoTravel Jan 17th, 2006 08:24 AM

I posted this on another thread but think it is worth repeating.

One of my clients is a Raleigh school teacher and told me that Raleigh schools are having to re-assign 10,000 students next year due to overcrowding.

Also, in the next couple of years all elementary schools will be year round so parents will not have a choice in the matter.

torynsyn2 Jan 17th, 2006 09:11 AM

I'm looking to move in the Charlotte and if the school are going to all year around I'm all for that. I just need the best schools in the area I spoke about.

artist55 Feb 21st, 2006 04:46 AM

Hi,
I am looking to relocate in the near future from NY to Charlotte. One of my concerns is finding a job as a art director/graphic designer that will accommodate my living expenses (including health insurance) . I'm looking for ideas to be employed before I move. Everything that I'm reading so far is pointing to a strong economy in Charlotte, but, is that totally the real picture? Also, where is a good starting out neighborhood.

All help is appreciated!!!

Gretchen Feb 21st, 2006 05:41 AM

Why don't you want to live in Charlotte if that is where you will work? A possible neighborhood for that range could be Sherwood Forest, but it is going up. Huntersville is a burgeoning place. The commute to Charlotte from H'sville is not as bad as it once was, but Charlotte neighborhoods are quite lovely.

Gretchen Feb 21st, 2006 05:42 AM

And yes, Charlotte's economy is robust.

GeorgeW Feb 21st, 2006 08:18 AM

I have only passed through Charlotte once in my life and have nothing against the town. From reading about it, Charlotte is the quintessential southern sprawl city with suburban subdivisions eating up what used to be tobacco farms. Social critic James Howard Kuntsler is critical of Charlotte but not as negative towards it as he is Atlanta, Orlando, Phoenix and Las Vegas.

You might want to try Wilmington. You're right on the Cape Fear River and half-an-hour from the beaches. The sprawl between Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach is a little nasty.

Gretchen Feb 21st, 2006 03:16 PM

Well, gee, George, aren't you the expert from a pass through. There are areas of sprawl. I assume you have none in your utopia. But the neighborhoods of Charlotte are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. The corporate downtown structure is an incredibly supportive one of arts from a new children's theater/library to the newest campus of Johnson& Wales. I don't think the Charlotte environs were much of a tobacco economy. But it is true that developers have taken the farmland. I don't think that has happened ANYwhere else in the country and it is a shame--another GEEZ. Charlotte was one of two school districts in the country that met the national standards.

torynsyn2 Nov 22nd, 2006 06:51 AM

I really appreciate everyone’s comments what I think I have decide to do is to move in the 28117 area this is Iredell/Stateville school district (Lake Norman/Mooresville Schools). I just think Mecklenburg School District isn’t doing very well and by me relocating I’m looking for the top school. I do have one other question, “How diverse is Iredell County”? I want to also make sure my kids aren’t going to run into any races issues. We plan on visiting the Schools in Feb. 07. Any info you have on Brawley and Lake Shore Middle School, as well as Lake Norman High School will be greatly appreciated.

Gretchen Nov 22nd, 2006 08:04 AM

I would urge you to visit and reconsider Charlotte as your residence--and the CMS school system. I will say upfront that I don't know anything about the other school district. Our grandson goes to an "example" school (that is the only way I know how to characterize it) in Huntersville (still CMS). Absolutely incredible what is being done.
It always disturbs me when race comes to the fore in posts from folks coming from the NOrth, usually. It is just possible that Charlotte has worked longer and harder than any large southern city on race relations. We had the most courageous judge in the country that desegregated our schools--something that was NOT done in Cincinnati, for example.
I would also commend to your attention the advantages for children of being in Charlotte. Recently I took our grandchildren to Imaginon--the new children's library and theater. I have never seen anything like it anywhere. The theater production (all local people) was as professional as could be. It was The Magician's Nephew, and completely captivating for children AND adults!! It is a resident theater plus a puppet theater troupe. AND a branch of one of the 10 best libraries in the US--maybe number one, but at least in the top 5.
This along with all the other art and science museums we are lucky --and forsighted with good leadership--to have.
Charlotte is home to two of the major banking concerns in the world. What does that mean--it means that the very active corporate community puts money into every sector of the city. The corporate (and private and individual)money that support the arts, sports, and charities in this city is prodigious.
There are neighborhoods with housing and excellent schools for every income level.
To answer a question you had previously, the commute from that part of the county is now fairly good with an HOV lane and wider interstate. But it definitely backs up at rush hours and we are a bit away from mass transit to that part--although that too is being addressed. I drive to Huntersville from near downtown and it is a 15 minute 70MPH drive in non-rush hour--it will be 15 minutes more to Mooresville, I would guess, plus to your subdivision.
So, I hope this helps. Have you visited yet?
I would be glad to suggest several real estate agents for you to choose from and to speak with.

SAnParis Nov 22nd, 2006 08:34 AM

That would be a significant commute. Please keep in mind although Char-Meck does have its problems, you can apply to any school in the system that you like. Be it a magnet school for language immersion, the arts or an IB program. We are currently deciding on a school (for next year) for our 4 yr old. Myers Park HS was just recognized as one of the top 100 HS in the country. In addition, there are a huge number of magnet schools that cater to special interests that many parents are not even aware of. From Statesville to Uptown has to be around 40 miles one way. If you are traveling at prime time - I would expect a 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hour commute, each way. Try www.cms.k12.nc.us for Char-Meck. Try www.iss.k12.nc.us for Iredell Co. As indicated on the site, it shows Lake Norman HS to be 92% White, Brawley Middle 92% White & Lake Shore Middle 86% White. If you seek diversity, you'll have, much better luck in Charlotte proper.

torynsyn2 Nov 22nd, 2006 08:54 AM

I am relocating to the Mooresville Area, that’s why I was interested in these schools, although I was aware of the percentage of Whites verses Black Kids. My kids really don’t see black or white and have never have however, everyone doesn’t raise their kids the same that's why I was asking about diversity. I just I will really have to pray on this one.

Gretchen Nov 22nd, 2006 10:13 AM

Then your question has changed from the first post. I think I have also elided it with someone else who was going to be working IN Charlotte so I wasn't apparently speaking to you.
But again, PLEASE. The South is NOT a hotbed of racists. You do us--and you-- a disservice. You are not the only one brought up to not see black or white. And your "wondering" about it could bring it to your children's attention very subtly.
SanParis--have you taken yours to Imaginon!!!!
And I think we have to let our new Superintendent get his feet wet.

torynsyn2 Nov 22nd, 2006 01:21 PM

I'm not sure I Understand you response?

Gretchen Nov 23rd, 2006 06:40 AM

You continue to inquire about racial matters. Charlotte has been far ahead of most places in the South and many in the NOrth for race relations and solving school integration issues. You are too young to know this first hand, but you do keep bringing it up. So, in my opinion, it is a "problem" to you on some level. These feelings do filter down to children, whether we mean it to or not.