North & South Dakota in Oct & Nov

Oct 11th, 2001, 03:00 PM
Nita

North & South Dakota in Oct & Nov

I'm thinking about a trip to North and South Dakota sometime between now and the middle of November. Is that a good idea or is it just too cold? What will the weather be like? I'm from NC and we haven't even had fall color yet.

Oct 11th, 2001, 04:31 PM
Melissa

South Dakota is a bit cold now, but it is much better than Jan or Feb. You might see some snow, but it is hard to predict. Are you going there for something special?

Oct 11th, 2001, 07:50 PM
Nita

Thanks for the post Melissa. We're looking at the Dakotas for a short vacation. Our goal is to eventually see all 50 states, and the Dakotas are high on our list of those we haven't visited. We're mostly interested in the the scenic wonders -- the Badlands, Black Hills and Theodore Roosevelt National Park. I'm just afraid that it will be too cold to really enjoy them. Any advise or other suggestions you may have would be most appreciated! Thanks.

Oct 12th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Paul Rabe

If you go, be SURE to watch the weather channel! It's unlikely that there will be a major snow storm, but it COULD happen. If you're from North Carolina, you probably haven't driven in snow very often; and it's a skill that you MUST have if a storm hits.

The beauty of the Dakotas are best appreciated in summer weather (early if you want to avoid the crowds). So, if you can defer your visit till early summer of some year, you'll enjoy your trip a LOT more.

Oct 12th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Fargo Chick

Nita, bad choice. Mid-August to early-October is the most beautiful time of year here.

In truth, it CAN be really nice here during the time you've mentioned, but some years we've had heavy snowfall by the second week of November -- and it doesn't leave.

Try to travel here sometime between May 1 and October 20. You'll find much more to do, and can enjoy hiking without hunters.

Oct 12th, 2001, 06:49 AM
D.J.

Nita, I have been to South Dakota many times.I have been in the summer fall and winter.Summer is always best no matter what northern state you visit, but I would go any time of year.There are always things to do.Badlands are cool to hike around, dont forget to stop at Wall Drug in Wall . Its about an hour or so from Rapid right off the interstate.The restaurant is also an art gallery displaying many fine western art depictions.You cant miss the hills.Go to Crazy horse,Mt. Rushmore, Hill city, Keystone, and the highlight of my stay is always Deadwood.I think last time I stayed at the Bullock Hotel which was quite nice and there are few nice restaurants in town as well.I'm not a big gambler, but the bet maximum is fairly low , not like vegas so you wont go broke.I'm a history buff and like to check out local history, so before you leave go visit the graves of Wild Bill and Calamity Jane.I'm sure that I left a bunch out but you get the picture. Dont forget to pack Warm clothes and your winter jacket.

Oct 12th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Teresa

Nita,
Chances are it will be cold. Bring winter coats, gloves, hats, scarves and sweaters, just in case. Wind plays a big factor in plains weather and can make the temps seem even colder than they are. I agree with previous posters--summer or early fall is the best time for this trip but if you pack well, hiking, etc. will be okay. I live in western Nebraska (an hour from South Dakota) and it's COLD, windy and cloudy here this morning!