How accurate are Bed Bug warning sites for NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh dear...why did I do this...I googled my hotel and bed bugs and found out it was indeed on the list for a recent report of bedbugs. It is the ''raveable' website??? So now I am ever so nervous that the surprise trip we have planned for my son & DIL may turn out to be a REAL surprise. This is a big chain hotel...actually the Hilton . I sent an e.mail inquiring as to the accuracy of said report and received an unsatisfactory generic response. I would have thought they would seek to resolve my concerns rather than ignore them.Two rooms booked for next week and also friends coming to join us at my recommendation.This could be embarrassing let alone the health concern. Would anyone know if there are other reliable sites that I might check on this problem further?
Thankyou
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:47 AM

I look at bedbugregistry.com and at least some of the reports are credible, because I have seen where managers have taken the time to respond that yes, the property did have some rooms with a problem and the steps they took to eradicate them. Now sometimes, I've read claims that don't sound convincing.
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How accurate? Doesn't really matter, a perfectly clean and spotless place could send bedbugs home with you if they came in with the previous guest, so nobody is safe. I'd probably feel pretty safe in a Hilton that had a bedbug scare. I'm sure they cleaned thoroughly and were inspected. Also, once the bedbugs bite they don't come around again for weeks and weeks so your odds are actually probably BETTER in a room where they've recently bitten. Just take the precautions suggested by the experts and don't worry so much about it. You could get bitten at the Ritz or come out squeaky clean at the most infested no-tell motel in town....why would you worry, it'll do absolutely no good.
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:52 AM

By the time you find out about it a reputable hotel will have gotten rid of the problem. I've never used those sites. I just check for myself when I get there.
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:15 AM

Bedbugs can be anywhere (a friend and her family were tormented one night it a 4* disney property and had to buy new luggage and have ALL heir clothes cleaned). However - it's not like the building is inested (usually) - it's that previous travelers have brough the bugs into one or a couple of rooms.

Assuming this is a reputble and resaonable upscale hotel - I wouldn;t worry - but would check the room yourelf before bringing any of your belongings into it (I do this now with all hotels - even Four Seasons or Ritz CArlton). If you are concerend they can move you to another room.

If this is a super budget property and you feel the response you received was inappropriate I would consider another hotel. (Not due to bed bugs but to overall poor management.)
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:45 AM

We are going to several places in the Northeast on own summer trip, including New York City.

I did look at the bedbug registry and TripAdvisor. It seemed to me that the New York City Hotels I was interested in DID often write back with their eradication plans. Also, the hotels generally had the guests clothing and luggage cleaned or replaced. In my mind, this was responsible and all one can expect.

It was actually the hotels in Washington DC where I grew concerned. In at least two hotels I was interested in, guests reported that a manager tried to deny the problem, rather than get on the ball and order in an exterminator. These included at least one major chain close in.

I would not consider websites where there is no incident date. I would also question reports where the guest does not inform management of a bedbug situation and report their response. Some people do make up negative reviews, unfortunately.
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:47 AM

Oh, and to ease your mind, I'd call and talk to a manager at the Hilton. My guess is that you will feel differently once you talk it through.
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

These have been soothing responses I must say...and I thankyou.We will of course do the usual check...my hubby does that while I stand there holding my breath. He checks the matress edges. Any other spots we ought to look?
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:30 PM

Minx, You could google "bedbug search" and get more details and also photos. If that would stress you out, have your husband do the google search as he will do the looking.
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:46 PM

I am on the road and at different hotels every week. I always keep my clothes in my suitcase in the bathroom and never use the luggage rack. Bathrooms have fewer places for the bugs to hide, and bathrooms are washed everyday. One has to take precautions and check, but, you can't let it ruin your vacation.
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Am happy to report that we had splendid weather and NO bedbugs.
Thanks to all
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:31 AM

I'm not surprised you encountered no problems. Almost all big hotels have occasional bed bug problems; once reported, they are dealt with quite well and quite quickly. Even the Ritz-Carlton on Central Park South has had a bed bug infestation. Once posted (and I don't always believe the posts since some are just malicious), bed bug complaints are usually outdated within 48 hours for a reputable hotel.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 02:48 AM

Stayed in Mayfair hotel New York on 3 June 2013, room 211, At night took extra sheet and found bed bug. Next day complained to concierge and show him blood on the sheet. Took suitcase, told to concierge that we are leaving to other hotel, requested refund, sent e-mail to hotel manager with complains. Was charged for 3 day stay, no apology and no any communication from the management.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 09:37 AM

Canadian2559, contact your credit card and dispute the charges. Please post again to tell us what the final resolution is. Please create a NEW post and do not dredge up really old ones, in particular, your post on "Mayfair Hotel" that was originally started in 2003.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 10:57 AM

For anyone concerned about bedbugs, may I suggest that your first stop is the REI in New York?

http://www.rei.com/stores/soho.html

Two things to get there:

1) Permethrin. Comes in a spray bottle, so you cannot put in handcarry luggage, ergo need to get it at REI in NY.

a) If you haven't already done so at home, spray your luggage, especially the zippers - yes, bedbugs can get through zippers. Spray inside and out. Allow to dry.

b) Spray bed sheets all around bed, spray pillow cases. Spray sofa, chair or anywhere you might sit or lie.

2) Jungle Juice. This is a very powerful liquid. Rub on skin. Repels not just bugs, but also people.

If a bed bug even dares come near you, it will be killed by the permethrin or faint from the jungle juice.

The idea to keep your luggage in bathroom is a very good one. Be sure to remove luggage from bathtub before bathing.

I also keep my luggage in bathtub at home on return home.

Oh, and put all your clothing in small, large, extra large ziplock baggies.

You think this is overkill? Wait till you've been bitten by a bed bug.

Enjoy New York!
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 11:16 AM

Better yet - if truly concerned don't leave home.

Bed bugs are brought in by travelers and can be in any room in any hotel or on upholstered seats on trains, planes, restaurants, theaters etc. (A friend of mine and her 3 kids were attacked at a room in an upscale Disney resort.)

All you can do is check the sheets before you bring luggage into the room.

Any reputable hotel will get you a bug free room and take infested one out of service while exterminated.

Or do as advised above - you will likely be asphyxiated before the bugs get to you.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 11:25 AM

Oh, one more thing, permethrin can be sprayed on clothes and socks (don't forget the socks!) and will last through several washings.

At one time, it was difficult to get Permethrin because so much of it was being shipped overseas to our troops. Permethrin can be used against any kind of bugs, not just bed bugs.

If you're concerned, use it. You should be able to get it at any outdoors store near home.