North Alabama vacation options in April

Mar 7th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Original Poster
North Alabama vacation options in April

Looking to spend some time outdoors (hiking trails, waterfalls, mountains, caverns etc). We have a couple of options on where to stay - Huntsville or the Ft Payne/Mentone area. It looks like we could rent a cabin in Mentone or stay at a standard hotel in Huntsville. I like the cabin idea, but we do not want to be in an area that is too remote that we have to drive 45 min- 1hr to see the sights.

I would appreciate any input. Thanks to all who take their time to post a response
Mar 7th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I suggest a smaller town that is still in the area you want to see and is on a beautiful lake -- Guntersville, Alabama. You will find several motels there, and you will be able to access boating, hiking, picknicking, and some antique shopping. Ask the locals about getting to Little River Falls, which are very pretty and not too far away. The first Monday of each month in Scottsboro is an old-fashioned trade day, where everyone in the area brings things they want to trade or sell. At the north edge of Huntsville, there is Monte Sano which has a nice park on top of the mountain and is great for hiking. The old Germans that came over with Werner Von Braun settled on the mountain because it reminded them of Bavaria. You can still see many German family names on the mailboxes. There's also a museum you can visit. Of course, in Huntsville the space and missile exhibit is always a big hit. Lots of things to do and places to go. One thing to eat is a lot of the local fried catfish--yummy!!

Search this Thread