Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Non-touristy things to do with teen daughter in NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/non-touristy-things-to-do-with-teen-daughter-in-nyc-821049/)

asbell Jan 10th, 2010 03:32 PM

Non-touristy things to do with teen daughter in NYC

My 15 year old daughter and I are going to NYC in may. This is not the first time we have been here, we have been going every year since she was little, so, we have already done all the touristy things. I used to live in NYC so I am familiar with the city, and my daughter is a great traveler. This is the first trip we have done alone, so I want it to be special. This is a present for her 16th birthday, NYC is her all time favorite city and she has always wanted to do a mother daughter trip because we are very close.

I need advice on stores and resturants. My daughter LOVES fashion, but we are both thrifty spenders. So any stores that are fashionable but affordable? We are already planning on hitting up century 21 and filene's basement. Any advice on mid-range thrift stores or boutiques?

We also want good resturants with entrees under or around 30. Were up for any type of cuisine.

We will only be there for 2 to 3 days.

mp Jan 10th, 2010 04:52 PM

do a search on this forum for teen trips and NYC - there have been several postings in the last year with lots of good advice from mclaurie, kbrklyn, aduchamp and many others about terrific shopping and inexpensive eating in NoLita and Soho, the Lower Eastside and the East Village.

travelbuff Jan 10th, 2010 08:15 PM

For great bargins, hit Daffy's at Herald Square, deeply discounted label shopping there, and for jeans and tees your daughter will love Conway. You can get GREAT prices on jeans and tees there, $7 jeans and $3 or less tees.

Lots of fun shopping if you head down Broadway close to NYU and St Mark's place for ethnic restaurants and "interesting" shopping.

alovesa Jan 10th, 2010 08:27 PM

Even if the prices are too high, she'll surely love walking around the Meat Packing district and checking out the fashionable stores. You can stop at the nearby Chelsea market to get a snack or dessert and then stroll along the recently opened highline park.

Ashley
www.hitherandthither.net

alovesa Jan 20th, 2010 07:29 PM

Update: we just posted about the high line if you're interested in the above. --Ashley

mclaurie Jan 21st, 2010 06:54 AM

You might want to check out the Brooklyn Flea Market. Check nymag.com and dailycandy.com for sample sales closer to the trip. NY Mag also has a good shopping search engine.

Ryan Jan 21st, 2010 07:24 AM

When you're downtown, you might want to go to L'Ecole, the restaurant affiliated with the French Culinary Institute for dinner or lunch. 2 of the 3 seatings are prepared by their students so you can get a reasonably good deal for a multi-course meal.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant...ary-institute/

kimamom Jan 22nd, 2010 10:49 AM

For a nice lunch, go to The Boathouse in Central Park, we had a lovely lunch here, you will have a nice view of the lake. We were there in Nov., the weather was gorgeous, we took a row boat ride on the lake after lunch. I would also try to get over to Katz's Deli, they have most amazing Pastrami Sandwiches there and delicious Cheesecake. Enjoy your time in NYC, it's such an amazing city! ***kim*** ((#))

sf7307 Jan 22nd, 2010 12:06 PM

I have flagged these posts for the editors.

cw Jan 22nd, 2010 12:10 PM

I reported them to the editors at 3:54 and USA is still posting as fast as he/she can.

SueNYC Jan 22nd, 2010 12:19 PM

Did I miss something or were the posts removed

sf7307 Jan 22nd, 2010 01:05 PM

Must have been removed.

happytrailstoyou Jan 22nd, 2010 04:41 PM

If you can tear her away from shopping, you might visit the Frick Collection or take a tour of Grand Central Station.