Search

Seattle and Olympic National Park by RV

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle and Olympic National Park by RV

Hello,

My family of four (parents and two kids (both 9)) are renting an RV from July 30-Aug 5 out of Seattle. We have never done an RV trip so we need lots of information and advice. The first topic is itinerary. We have 6 nights in the RV (Class A 32 ft) and we would like to know how to split up the trip.

Interests include fishing, rafting, generally easy hiking

Can we stay one night in Mt. Ranier then the other 5 in ONP? or should we skip Mt. Ranier? What about the other nights?
Lake Quinault, Kalaloch area, Forks, Sol Duc, Port Angeles, Port Townsend?

As we will only have the RV we would like the attractions to be fairly close to the activities.

Please advise, we are in the early stages but need to make reservations soon!
I would also like to know favorite family activities and suggestions please!

Thank you for your input.
Old May 5th, 2014, 10:37 AM

Don't skip Mt. Rainier.

A logical routing would be to start at Mt. Rainier and to then visit Olympic NP driving clockwise--starting at Lake Quinault.

As we will only have the RV we would like the attractions to be fairly close to the activities.

There are activities (hiking, etc.) at the attractions, but some of the most popular attractions in ONP are not close to each other.

HTtY
Old May 5th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. How do you recommend I split the nights?

1 night Ranier
Lake Quinalt
Kalaloch
Forks/Sol Duc
Port Angeles
Old May 5th, 2014, 07:43 PM

If I were traveling with two nine-year-olds, this is how I would divide up the six nights: Mt. Rainier (1) Quinault (1), Forks (1), Neah Bay (1), Sol Doc (1), and Port Angeles (1).

You will not regret going to Mt. Rainier (1). It is a beautiful experience, and there is much waiting there for you and your children.

Kalaloch is very close to Quinault (2). I would visit Kalaloch, Ruby Beach, and the Hoh Rain Forest on the way to Forks (3), where I would spend one night. Forks is good for a Mexican or Chinese meal and for stocking up on groceries.

From Forks, I would drive along the shore of the Strait of Juan de Fuca to Neah Bay (4)—the most northwesterly town in the contiguous forty-eight States. There I would go on a previously booked fishing expedition.

After Neah Bay, I would spend a night or at Sol Duc (5) or Lake Crescent. Lake Crescent is more beautiful, but Sol Duc has a swimming pool the children will probably enjoy. There is a pleasant hike to a waterfall from Sol Duc and from the Storm King Ranger Station on Lake Crescent.

Port Angeles (6) is a good headquarters for visiting Hurricane Ridge. Your children might enjoy visiting Port Townsend on the way back to Seattle. If you take the ferry from Bainbridge you will enjoy great views of the Seattle skyline and, if it is clear, Mt. Rainier, the Olympics, and the Cascades.

HTtY
Old May 5th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! That is what I was looking for. I really appreciate the advice. This is a Children's Dream Fund childrensdreamfund.org trip for my son who finished 2-1/2 years of chemo last February. We want to make it fun for the kids!Thanks.
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm thinking that some of the hairpin turns in Mt. Rainier will make the driver nervous with a 32 foot motorhome.
You might do better with a 20-24 foot and maybe a pup tent or two just for the kids to sleep in.
Any thought of going to Mt. St. Helens?
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:40 AM

Gotta disagree with happytrails on a couple things.

I wouldn't want to drive a 32-foot RV along the windy, narrow highway 112 (the road "along the shore of the Strait of Juan de Fuca") and besides, highway 112 goes through endless clear cuts and thick brush (older clear cuts) - it's really not very nice. Just staying on highway 101 is much more scenic (and pleasant)

And, I'd skip Neah Bay altogether. Neah Bay is the location of the Makah Indian Reservation, a depressing collection of shacks and run down single-wide trailers. If you do go to Neah bay, lock up everything tight - break-ins are very bad out there. The big sight to see outside of Neah Bay is Cape Flattery, the northwestern-most point of the lower 48-states - and it is spectacular. But, to see it I'd just detour from highway 101 to see it, returning to 101 afterwards. There is also Shi Shi Beach outside of Neah Bay, but that is a fairly long hike and frankly, the beaches around La Push are nicer.

I do agree with lake Quinault, Kalaloch, Sol Duc Hot Springs and would add the beach at Rialto outside of Forks.

Places like Kalaloch Lodge, Lake Quinault Lodge, Sol Duc Hot Springs, Lake Crescent Resort are already booked up solid for the summer. There are some B&Bs in Forks and Port Angeles but most require a two night minimum stay.
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:59 AM

I hope your holiday is a great celebration for what your son has been through and his bravery.

I am also concerned about navigating a 32-foot vehicle to several of the destinations on your itinerary.

For that reason, I am reconsidering the drive to Neah Bay. The drive is beautiful and the town is interesting, but it is probably too much driving. Nearer to Forks is La Push, home of the Quileute Tribe. However, I don't know if they offer much in the way of deep-sea fishing charters. Another alternative would be Mt. Rainier-Westport WA-Quinault-Forks-Sol Duc-Port Angeles. Westport has loads of opportunities for fishing.
Old May 6th, 2014, 08:30 AM

We spent 13 days last summer in Seattle and area(ONP, North Cascades, Mount Rainier, San Juan Islands). We are going back this summer. The places we plan to hit again are Mount Rainier and San Juan Islands. I think Mount Rainier is amazing!

If you are doing Mount Rainier, I might skip Hurricane Ridge. Both are great, but somewhat similar(yes, they are different too). Sol Duc(soak in the hot tubs, hike do the falls), Quinault, and Kalaloch is where I would stay. Do see Hoh Rain Forest.