Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

non outdoorsies going to bryce and zion for first time-suggestions??

Mar 11th, 2002, 07:11 PM
kris

i once flew low over bryce canyon on a clear day and have wanted to go ever since. my mom and i (native new yorkers) are planning to go for the first time in mid april. is this a good time to go? does anyone have any tips or suggestions on things you have really enjoyed seeing or doing? i may have to fly into salt lake-any estimates on how long it takes to drive down? or alternative ways of getting donw and also places to stay. thanks!

Mar 11th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Dayle

Dear Kris, you & your Mom will emjoy Bryce even if you're not "outdoorsies". Both Zion & Bryce have been discussed extensively here, so do a search & you'll get all the info you need.

But, if you need more, just ask & I for one will b ehappy to answer.

One suggestion, you might as well do both Zion & Bryce & fly in & out of Vegas. The parks are only about a 2 hour drive apart.

Mar 11th, 2002, 11:13 PM
kris

thanks for the reply. i will review the forum. also thanks for suggestion to fly into vegas. i can't wait!

Mar 12th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Todd

Dear Kris,
Hope you have a nice trip! Dayle is correct in that there is a lot of information on this forum about Bryce and Zion. You can do a word search or do a state search of Utah. Also, Arizona since many people include the Grand Canyon as well with their visit to Bryce and Zion. Best Wishes

Mar 12th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Todd

Kris, you may also want to try out the web site www.kaneutah, it has a lot of good pictures and info. If you are going to fly into Vegas, you can also check out this forum which has much info and the web site www.a2zvegas. Good luck.

Mar 19th, 2002, 11:08 PM
Utahtea

Someday I'm going to fly over ALL of Utah! It must be amazing from the air. I've only seen it from the ground.

I agree that flying into Las Vegas would be closer to Zion and Bryce.

If you can get reservations at the Zion Lodge do so. It is in a beautiful setting. http://www.nps.gov/zion/FoodLodging.htm

If not then stay in Springdale just outside the main enterance.

Even if you've never hiked before you will be able to walk the two mile round trip River Walk at the end of the scenic drive in Zion. This walk is wheel chair accessible. If you are up to a little more hiking then do Weeping Rock and the Lower and Middle Emeral Pool trails. Just being in Zion is a wonderful experience.

I would also suggest trying to get reservations at the Lodge in Bryce, but if you can't then here are other places to stay: http://www.travelwest.net/parks/brycecanyon/lodging2.html

We have stayed at the lodge at both Bryce and Zion many years ago, now we always camp.

The weather will probably be on the cool side. Cold nights and possibly cool to nice days. We have seen it snow as late as the end of May, but they said it was a freek snow storm. It shouldn't be to crowded in April.

If you want to do some other driving in the area I would drive out to Boulder, Utah on Scenic Highway 12. Now that's a drive! http://www.so-utah.com/hwy12/homepage.html

Have a good trip! I know you will love it.

Utahtea

Mar 20th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Dayle

Hey Utahtea! I agree on the Hwy 12 drive. It's one of the best I've ever done (multipule times). Sometimes you think you're on another planet - though the petrified sand dunes - then you just marvel at the beauty of Calf Creek Falls....bring your suit...

Mar 20th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Utahtea

Dayle,

Highway 12 is my favorite scenic drive and we've done it so many times I couldn't begin to count them.

The first time was the MOST memoriable! We left Bryce for a day drive to Boulder to see the Anasazi Indian Village State Park. A thunderstorm came in and it was raining so hard when we got to the hogs back we couldn't see farther than the hood of the suburban. When we got to Boulder the sun came out and we enjoyed our visit, but you should have seen our faces when we drove back over the hogs back and saw the views for the first time!

Utahtea

Mar 20th, 2002, 10:11 PM
Dayle

So, Utahtea! Have you done the Burr Trail? It's right up there with Hwy. 12. I've done it twice, once from Boulder to Lake Powell - unpaved. And once Boulder to Capitol Reef, paved. Try it if you haven't yet!

Mar 21st, 2002, 09:53 AM
Utahtea

Dayle,

We've done the the Burr Trail from Capitol Reef down past Notom and it was dirt until we climbed up the Burr Trail and then it turned paved. We had a 4x4 suburban back then. I would love to do it from Lake Powell up but now we have a motorhome and I don't think it would make it! We did drive a little of it again last year on the paved part from Boulder. The whole are is my favorite...that's why may sign on name is Utahtea even thought I live in California!

Utahtea

Mar 21st, 2002, 09:54 AM
Utahtea

That should have read:

The whole AREA is my favorite...that's why may sign on name is Utahtea even thought I live in California!

Utahtea

Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:54 PM
kris

Thanks for all your replies! Now I REALLY can't wait to go. Should I rent a sport utility vehicle?

Kris

Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:52 PM
Utahtea

Kris,

A sports utility isn't necessary if you are going to stay on paved roads, but if you want to go off road it is a must!

How long are you going to be in the area? Utah has to be the mother of 4 wheel drive roads!

Utahtea