NOLA: hotel alternative to French Quarter?

Mar 11th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

NOLA: hotel alternative to French Quarter?

HELP!

Spontaneous idea to go to NO over spring break -- I CANNOT find a hotel anywhere in the Quarter, CBD, or even the Garden District that can accomodate all 4 of us (kind rules out a B&B)

What are some good alternatives? Is Metarie too far? What about the Jazzland area? Many of the hotels offer "free" shuttles -- but I don't want to get stuck in a shoddy location - no matter what the price.

Suggestios definitely appreciated!
Mar 11th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Dan

Try 1896 O'Malley House at Carrollton and Canal. It's in Mid City and is accessible to bus or streetcar, depending on when you visit. (Streetcar starts in a few weeks)
Mar 11th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion -- I tried booking on their Web site just now, but all they have is a room w/ 1 queen sized bed. There are 4 of us, so this won't work --

thanks anyway, Dan!
Mar 11th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Dan

What are your dates? I can ask around!
Mar 11th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

ck in 3/18
ck out 3/21

I've found availablity at a couple of hotels w/ 1 bed -- but there will be 4 of us, so need a "double room". This is why B&Bs probably won't work, either -- they never seem to have more than one bed per room.

Dan, do you live in the area? Im willing to stay out of the Quarter - but just didn't know how reliable/convenient /safe the surrounding areas are --
Mar 11th, 2004, 03:05 PM
emd

You've looked around the Convention Center area, right? (I wasn't sure what the CBD area was- I've had tiems where I can't get in the quarter but got in around the convention center- not that far away.)
Mar 11th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I've checked w/ Hilton, Holiday Inn Select. Will not stay at Doubletree -- blech -- been there!

I've gone to the Web sites of virtually all of the major chains - Hilton, Westin, HI, Hyatt, Wyndham -- all w/ same results = no availablity.

I've also cked. w/ some of the very pricey hotels -- Intercontinental, W., Queen and Crescent -- pretty much every hotel w/ a reasonable recomendation on this site. I've been a busy lady today -- to no avail.

That's why I was asking about the Jazzland area, Metarie, and surrounding areas. Geting a little desperate, I guess!
Mar 11th, 2004, 03:43 PM
emd

I stayed at Guest Quarters at the Convention Center, but I am guessing you tried that one too. Also got in at the Raddison last year when I had to be there on business at Jazz Fest tiem and no one else had availability but guess you've tried that too. If not, check those. Otherwise, I don't know.
Mar 11th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Did you see my recommendation on your other post about La Maison Marigny and B&W Courtyards? Have you checked the Iberville Suites, the Quarter House? How about the Hampton Inn near the convention center?

I would not advise you to stay in Metarie or the Jazzland area. Parking is nearly impossible to find in the French Quarter and it's REALLY expensive when and if you do find it.
Mar 11th, 2004, 03:57 PM

What is your budget for rooms? I found a 2 bedroom suite at the 905 Royal Hotel. It is pretty pricy but in the heart of the Quarter. I used to live a few doors down. Here is the site where I found it.
http://www.turbotrip.com/res/rfp/rfq...t=Search+Rooms

If you want to go then I would suggest staying in Metairie over the Jazzland area. No East can be rough. Yes, you will have to drive but you can pay park by Jax Brewery & it's safe. If you are adventurous then you could drive into New Orleans, park uptown on the street & then catch the streetcar. If you stay late then you could catch a cab back to your car. A bit of work but maybe cheaper than paying to park all day.
Mar 11th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

SusanCS --
I did check La Maison Marigny and B&W per your suggesstion -- La Mansion had 1 rm avail/ w/ 1 king bed *only* -- not enough room for all of us. I appreciate your frank comments about Jazzland area, too -- I suspected as much -- doesn't sound like what I'm looking for.

Tried the Radisson and Hampton, too.

The 905 did have avail and yes they are waaay pricey. Geez! I guess the travel gods just don't want me in NO. But then -- I did wait till the last minute, didn't I?

Should I call hotels individually? I know some places are listed as sold out, even thought they do have availability.

You guys have been great - if you thnk of any other strategy -- let me know!
Mar 11th, 2004, 06:20 PM

Good alternatives:

1. Use a site that has its own block of rooms to work with such as:

www.hotels.com or

www.quikbook.com.

Weekend nights are often pricey, but the weeknights will often bring down your average cost.

2. Consider booking two doubles instead of one quad, if that provides more options, fits your group and isn't ridiculously expensive.

3. In connection with the idea above, you can bid on Priceline (but only for doubles - not quads).

4. Have you checked Hotwire?
Mar 14th, 2004, 03:22 PM

We stumbled onto a website called innthequarter.com which books apartments, cottages and rooms in B&B's. We've reserved four apartments on Bourbon Street for a bachelorette party in (group of 14) in May and from the pictures on the website the place looks charming. GL.
Mar 15th, 2004, 05:31 AM

As an FYI to the above poster, there are regulations in New Orleans requiring that short term rentals be licensed. It appears to me that the agency you're renting through is dealing in unlicensed property. For a list of places that are licensed, go to bbnola.com.