NOLA Bachelorette Party - Sept. 17-19

May 14th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

NOLA Bachelorette Party - Sept. 17-19

Hi everyone! I am really really hoping you all can help me out. I am planning a bachelorette party for my best friend in New Orleans on the weekend of September 17-19th, 2010.

None of us are local, & most of the girls have never even been to NOLA. We will be flying in at different times on Friday, September 17th & flying out late afternoon/early evening of Sunday, September 19th.

I have questions about everything, because I want this to be the bachelorette party of a lifetime! And I would appreciate any general advice about NOLA as well. We want to know everything! Where should we stay, eat, sleep, drink, party, go, must-sees, etc.?????

ABOUT US
Here are the details about us. Our party will consist of about 20 women ranging in age from late 20s to early 30s. We want this to be a trip of a lifetime & a really wild, crazy and fun time (within reason, of course). We all eschew chain restaurants & anything generic - we love local local local, funky, fun, & even things and experiences that are a little "out there". We like everything from the dirtiest of dive bars to the swankiest cocktail lounges - as long as its awesome. The bride really wants to get a FEEL for what New Orleans is actually like & to experience the local flavor.

TRANSPORTATION
We were planning on renting a couple of cars at the airport for transportation, but we aren't even sure about that since we don't know how centrally located everything is or what public transportation is like. Suggestions?

HOTELS/PLACES TO STAY
We are thinking one of two things.
The 1st idea is to get a small block of rooms or a couple of hotel suites in a centrally located hotel. What hotels/locations would you recommend? We would love to be in a beautiful charming hotel that is fun & fabulous for the weekend.
Our other idea is to rent a big house for the weekend. Does anyone know of anyone doing this in NOLA? How would I go about finding a rental like that? If there are rentals, what neighborhood(s) would you recommend?

FOOD
The bride & all of the friends are total foodies. What would you recommend for breakfast/brunch? What about lunch? What about dinner? What are the "can't miss" places to eat in New Orleans? Note: some of the ladies don't eat seafood, and some love it.. so any seafood options would need to have at least 1 or 2 non-seafood alternatives on the menu.

DRINKING/PARTYING
What are the best bars? What are the most festive/fun/adventurous places to go? Where would we have the best time? If this was **your** dream NOLA bachelor or bachelorette party, where would you go???? Any local shots or cocktails that we just have to try too?

MUSIC
Where is a place to hear some great live local music and have a great time???

LOCAL SIGHTS/DAYTIME ACTIVITIES
What would you recommend we definitely have to see during the day? It can be anything from cultural activities to water stuff to shopping to historical sights to anything! What can't we miss???

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
May 14th, 2010, 01:55 PM

If you want one knock-your-socks-off dinner, I highly recommend Emeril's (the original). We were in New Orleans recently and ate at Bayona, Commander's Palace, Emeril's and Mila (those were four of our five dinners) and Emeril's was far and away the best (the others all being very good, but they weren't what I'd call extraordinary). Emeril's is gorgeous, the food is sensational, the banana cream pie is to-die-for, the service is extraordinary (and not at all stuffy), and the place is "happening".
May 14th, 2010, 08:14 PM

I don't think I'd rent any cars. Everything you're doing will be in the city and parking is expensive and difficult. You can get everywhere you need to with walking, streetcars, and cabs.

For a "no holds barred" hotel with New Orleans charm in the center of the action, I'd pick Royal Sonesta.

For food try Emeril's or Commander's Palace for dinner. Take the streetcar out to Camelia Grill for late breakfast/brunch of omelettes to die for. Also a visit to Cafe Du Monde is in order since some of the people have never been - I recommend a late night refuel there when it's less crowded (if there is such a thing). Get a muffaletta from the Central Grocery and eat watching the performers in Jackson Square.

What I'd suggest to start the night off would be to go to Pat O'briens and get a hurricane in their courtyard. From there, go up and down Bourbon and take your pick. Bachelorettes seem to enjoy congregating at the Cat's Meow for some reason and singing karaoke.

Some can't miss sights/experiences of New Orleans: Walk around Jackson Square and see all the artists, mimes, and other interesting people abound. Walk down Royal Street and go antique shopping, walk down Bourbon Street in the day and at night to get the difference, visit Preservation Hall, ride the St. Charles streetcar, walk along the Riverfront, visit the WWII Museum (if interested), visit a cemetery, take a walking or drinking tour of the French Quarter, among other things...
May 14th, 2010, 08:54 PM

FWIW, the Royal Sonesta has a more upscale jazz club inside. We saw Shamarr Allen there. Nice place, no cover.
May 14th, 2010, 08:54 PM

Oh, and the omelettes at Camellia Grill are great, but I'm not sure the whole place seats 20 -- you might have to eat in shifts!
May 15th, 2010, 06:28 AM

some info on car rental... in addition to the rental fees, you'll have to pay parking at the hotel which usually runs from $30 to $35 per night. If you do take the car out, parking is very hard to find on the street and the lots run around $4 per hour. Pretty much everything you will want to do is reachable by walking, the streetcar or taxi.

Hotel wise, Royal Sonesta is a good choice, seems to be party central. Staying in the Quarter would be your best bet.
May 15th, 2010, 10:16 AM

Would recommend doing a site search, as NOLA restaurants are covered pretty well here. I'll make things a little easier for you and share my food trip report from not too long ago:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...experience.cfm
May 15th, 2010, 06:31 PM

I'll share mine, too:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...t-and-more.cfm
May 23rd, 2010, 08:40 AM

Much good advice on here already and restaurants have certainly been covered. Forget about the cars, they will only be a hindrance & expense. In addition, you will be given lots of attention as a bachelorette party, use that to your advantage when making reservations & such. Alas, if you need a guide, I am available that weekend...lol
Jul 25th, 2010, 02:14 PM

Hi! I am planning a bachelorette party for October 1-3rd. I am thinking about doing the Corks n' Canvas. There are going to be 10+ girls so we are looking for a place to stay too. If you find a great place PLEASE pass on the info. I have lots of ideas about what we are doing for our bridezilla so if you want to exchange ideas let me know.

We have all been to NOLA a few times but we will make it seem like its her 1st time there. haha
Aug 17th, 2010, 11:07 AM

Get a hotel room at the royal sonesta on bourbon st. and request a balcony! Commanders Palace has 24cent martinis at brunch i would do that and muriels for dinner. You can get a private room! I hope i helped some!

The best po boy sandwich is Domilise's a little family owned place outside of the quarter and is cash only. Love this place the family is super nice and remember my mother by first name from when she used to go in after school during high school. This is a best kept secret.

My favorite drinks is the Planters Punch at Pat O's, Pimms Cup at the Napolean House, and bloody mary at the avenue pub uptown.

Check out what festivals are happening.
http://www.nola.com/festivals/

Things to do: ( If i can remember anything else i will let you know)

Attractions: Jackson Square, St Louis Cathedral, Cafe Du Monde, Steamboat Natchez Riverboat Cruise(don't eat there the food is terrible),Moonwalk on the Mississippi, Audubon Zoo, Aquarium, Zoo/Aquarium Cruise, Imax, Audubon Insectarium, Royal St. Antiques, Magazine Street Shopping and Julia St Art Galleries, Check out the Architecture in the Garden District, Airboat Swamp tour, Mardi Gras World, Ride the Streetcar, New Orleans School of Cooking, Carriage Ride, City Park has rides for the kids, Preservation Hall in Quarter serves no alcohol and is no smoking so it a jazz hall for all ages it is great for everyone to enjoy.

Plantations- Oak Alley, Madewood Plantation, Nottoway Plantation, Beauregard House at Chalmette Battlefield, Destrehan & Ormond Plantations

Museum- Historic New Orleans Collection, Ogden, Dday, the cabildo, Pharmacy, Confederate Museum, US Mint, Conti Wax Museum, Historic New Orleans Collection, Childrens Museum

Haunted Places;Le Petit Theater, The Pontalba, Pirates Alley, The Lalaurie House, Lanaux Mansion, St. Louis Cathedral, Lafittes Blacksmith shop, The Pharmacy.Go see the ghost table at muriels, LaLaurie House, St. Louis Cemetery Number 1, Voodoo Cemetery Gates Of Guinee -- The Voodoo Gates to Hell on Earth, Columns Hotel, Place de Armes Hotel, Yo mamas bar and grill, Pat O's, O'Flaherty's Irish Channel Pub, Octoroon's House - 734 Royal Street, Hotel Monteleone, Brennans, Le Pavilion Hotel, Arnaud's Restaurant, Canal Street at City Park Avenue, Cafe Lafite in Exile, The Sultans Palace, Gardette-LePrete Haunted House, The Beauregard-Keyes House, Marie Laveau's House at 1020 St. Ann Street, The Creole Lady of Faubourg-Marigny at 734 Royal St, Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 and 2, Greenwood Cemetery, St. Roch Cemetery,

My favorite Restaurants:

Jaquimos( Best Alligator Cheesecake and blackened red fish),
Rio Mar
Commanders Palace(MY FAV), Muriels(Turtle Soup, Goat Cheese Crepes, and Pecan crusted drum),
Coffee Pot (FAVORITE RED BEANS and breakfast),
Upperline( TURTLE SOUP and FISH PIQUANTE USA todays best dish)
Lilette
Irenes,
Galatoise- Very famous and very good
Dick and Jennys- EVERYTHING IS GREAT!
Napolean House( Great. LUNCH SPOT),
One on Hampson( BEST DUCK GUMBO
Brennans
Crepe Nanou,( Love their crepes and grilled AMBERJACK)
Tommys Restaurant,
Brigtsens ( Everything is AWESOME),
Yo Mamas Bar and Grill- Best Hamburgers and Boil Crawfish during the season.
Palace Cafe( PECAN CRUSTED FISH AND BLUE CRAB LEGS),
Domileses(awesome poboys),
Cochon( BEst cochon du lait)
Favorite coffee- Cafe du monde
Favorite dessert- Commanders

Drink in the Quarter! Pat O's, Lafittes Blacksmith shop, Absinthe House, Carousel Bar at the Monteleone hotel, bombay club
favorite FQ BAR- Lafittes and Pat o's,
Goldmine- place to dance in the quarter

Bars not in the quarter- Victorian Lounge at the Columns, Bridge Lounge, Delachaise, fat harrys, Bull Dog, Balcony bar, rendezvous, Lucys retired surfers bar(warehouse district)... After 1am bars, F and M's and grits(more of college and upper 20's crowd)

Music-
Frenchman street has a lot of music clubs!!(snug Harbour, DBA, Spotted Cat)
Tipitinas has cajun dancing every sunday night as long as there is no special events going on
Maple Leaf Bar- Rebirth plays every Tuesday night and it right next door to the local favorite restaurant jaquimos!!!!Great music plays here! http://mapleleafbar.com/
Le bon temps rouler- Soul rebels every Thursday http://www.myspace.com/4801magazine
Rock n Bowl- http://www.rockandbowl.com/CalandarPAGE/…
House of Blues
Vaughns- Kermit Ruffins plays here a lot.
Howlin Wolf- http://www.thehowlinwolf.com
Preservation Hall- Serves no Alcohol so all ages are allowed to go in.
Hi Ho Lounge- http://www.myspace.com/hiholounge