No turkey for Thanksgiving-just a serving of Philly

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

For the first time in my life I went out to eat on Thanksgiving. I must be getting old because I didn't mind a bit.

A family health situation caused us to change our holiday plans and visit my FIL who had just moved to assisted living. We ate dinner with my MIL at her country club and most of us didn't even eat turkey. (I cooked one this evening so we would have the leftovers!!)

FIL looked great so we were able to head down to Philly in good spirits. We were soooo looking forward to two nights at the Four Seasons. My parents were celebrating their 50th so all four sibs and families were together for the first time in years. We had a blast. DS walked down from Drexel and the furthest came from Oregon.

I intended to cram as much as possible into my one full day in the city. At 7:30 I was hitting the Schuylkill walking path and walked out past the boat houses. What a great path! Someday I would like to bike it out to Valley Forge.

The walking justified breakfast (with grits!!) at the Midtown. 16 of us overwhelmed the waitresses a bit but they took it in stride.

From the Midtown some of us wandered over to the Mutter Museum. Others declined fearing that it would be too disturbing. I loved it! I had always wanted to go but never made it even when I lived for years right across the river.

I usually stay miles away from stores on Black Friday but we were in the city!! DD and I wandered into Macys and then down Walnut. I brought her over to the Kimmel where we found some gifts in their great shop.

After reading the great reviews here of the Renoir exhibit I had decided that it was a must. DH and I walked down to the museum hoping that since it was late afternoon perhaps the crowds had thinned. HaHa. A jazz combo playing in the hall ended that fantasy. We were able to get two of the remaining few admissions. Even at near full capacity, it wasn't that bad. We were able to see all the paintings and could get close if we wanted to.

I bribed DS to come out to Stone Harbor with us by promising him that he wouldn't miss the UVA/Tech game. He then regreted coming because I dragged to the Christmas parade that night. We didn't even know Stone Harbor had one. Lots of fire trucks decorated with lights and small town floats. Cold but fun!!

The next day we sent DS back to school on the Atlantic City to 30th ST. NJTrans train and headed across the water on the ferry and down the eastern shore. Coming up that way and over 13 to Delaware on Wed was much better than traveling 95 and it was great on Sunday too.

Maybe I can convince the family to make Thanksgiving in Philly the new tradition.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phew. I opened this and was relieved to find out you didn't eat a big plate of cream cheese for Thanksgiving!

And grits in Philly? Who knew?
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Biedie, I'm glad I saw this, and I'm glad that you had a good time. So, where did you eat on Thanksgiving?
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birdie - I love the paths along the Schulykill on Kelly and West River Drives - they are great for biking and perfect for rollerblading.

the Rodin Musuem is a few blocks from the Art Museum - it's a nice little museum.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Suki - Dinner was at a country club in Reading. I can't think of the name right now. I had lamb, so very non-traditional. Friday night we had a family dinner in a private room at the FS. I am sure I gained major poundage during the weekend. I never did get to see the Hooters, though. Maybe they will have a big comeback and play some more. I did dig out my old tapes and have been playing them. 16 yo DD just rolls her eyes.

Karens - The Rodin is another one on my list. I think I have hit most of the other museums in Philly. I do want to get to the Barnes agian before it moves. My brother told me that the Valley Forge trail hooks into the Perkiomen trail which will you all the way out to where he lives in Shwencksville.

Neo - I have actually found that it is easier to get grits in restaurants in Philly than it is in DC. The Four Seasons also offered them and the diner in the Reading Terminal market does too.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the best grits I've ever had at the White Dog Cafe in Philadelphia.