Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   No gas in Asheville (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/no-gas-in-asheville-439529/)

maps Sep 24th, 2008 05:29 PM

No gas in Asheville

After waiting almost one hour the station ran out of gas. Drove around until found one station opened but with a very long line. It took me two hours to get to a pump. Finally got. What a waist of time. So those of you who are planning to visit the Asheville area soon get your gas in TN. I heard there is a similar situation in SC.

P_M Sep 24th, 2008 05:33 PM

I know gas is very scarce in Houston and the coastal areas of TX due to Hurricane Ike. I didn't know other parts of the country had been affected--or are these shortages for another reason?

luvtravl Sep 24th, 2008 05:54 PM

We live close to Nashville, TN and they have had a gas shortage for about a week. On Saturday the news media reported 85% of the gas stations were out of gas and loooong waits for the ones who had it. Atlanta is also supposedly having some shortages.

NeoPatrick Sep 24th, 2008 06:37 PM

Costco was out here in Naples last week, as well as several other stations I passed.

Rich Sep 24th, 2008 07:35 PM

Yep . . everyone wants gas . . . no one wants a Refinery!

Most of the gas in the south comes from the Gulf coast . . Houston and Lousiana. Many of rhe reineries are down because of Ike.

away Sep 25th, 2008 03:39 AM

Charlotte is in the same boat - local paper reports 10% of stations have gas as of yesterday. I added a couple of gallons from my lawn mower fuel canister last night (my car was on 1/8 of a tank) and was VERY lucky to find gas this morning at about 6:30am - only had to wait for about 15 minutes.

I hear Atlanta is the same.

P_M Sep 25th, 2008 03:57 AM

OMG I had no idea this was so widespread outside of TX. I live in Austin and we have had no shortages at all. I hope it gets back to normal for everyone soon.

OO Sep 25th, 2008 04:08 AM

P_M, my car takes 93 octane gas. I casually drove into a station on my way to do another errand yesterday, only to find signs posted that they had <i>only</i> 87 octane.

I thought surely it was just that station. Went to a large Valero on I-35 following the errand and they only had one pump that still had 93 octane. This is my first encounter, but evidently it's a problem here as well.

I was hoping to get out of town this weekend, but I don't think so now!

dfr4848 Sep 25th, 2008 04:26 AM

To further Rich's comments -

Almost all of the gas in the Southeast and parts of the South is shipped in the Colonial Pipeline, which originates outside of Houston. Colonial wasn't damaged in the storm, but supplies are still low because a lot of the refineries in the Houston area aren't back up to full capacity. So many places in the SE are experiencing shortages.

I haven't seen any reports as to when those refineries will be back to 100% production.

jcn Sep 25th, 2008 04:34 AM

I live in upstate S.C. and just heard on the news this morning that the shortage should be resolved by next week. They didn't say what was causing it or what would end it but it looks like it'll be a few more days before anything can be done about it.

Brian_in_Charlotte Sep 25th, 2008 04:54 AM

maps, I heard on the radio this morning that they are transporting gas from the eastern part of the state to the mountain areas on as most mountain counties of NC are completely or mostly dry.

SAnParis2 Sep 25th, 2008 07:42 AM

(From CLT) As usual our fine friends in the media have taken a small problem &amp; created panic, due to their inept reporting. If everyone would just wait until they actually needed gas, a 'run' on gas would not have started. Which in turn, is causing the problem. There have been people lined up all the way through Matthews (NC) since 7pm last night. How much gas do you suppose they are wasting setting in those lines ? I'm headed to the beach tomorrow, hope there is gas there, or I'll just have to stay until they get some. We had the same panic, gouging scenario right after Katrina as well.

HereInFranklin Sep 25th, 2008 10:55 AM

It's eased up some in the Nashville area, though husband had to put in high octane last night instead of regular.

www.hereinfranklin.wordpress.com