Kauai North Shore Dinner Ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my family and I are going to Kauai for our second time in mid June. We are staying 3 nights at Emmalani Court and 6 at Kiahuna. Last year we spent our entire trip at Kiahuna and loved it. I already know what resaurants I want to return to in Poipu (and the ones I'll bypass) but I need some help with the Northshore.
How's Bali Hai for a nice dinner out? Also I'd love some ideas on a few casual places too.
Thanks.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Visit The Princeville Resort for a beautiful view of Bali Hai. There are two restaurants. Hanalei Cafe & La Cascata. The Friday night Seafood buffet at La Cascata was great. Or visit The Living Room for drinks & appetizers at sunset. It is an awesome event along with live music.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:37 PM
lvk

The views at Bali Hai are great, but not the food. The Happy Talk lounge, in the Hanalei Bay Resort has similar views, and more casual cuisine -- pizzas, sandwiches, burgers, pu-pu's. They also have live music on some nights.

We enjoyed the Hanalei Dolphin restaurant. It sits right beside the Hanalei River. We also bought poke, ceviche, etc. at their fish market to eat back at the condo.

Polynesia Cafe in Hanalei serves great food on paper plates.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure some of the Kauai Krew on the board will be along soon with more suggestions.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I was thinking the Polynesia Cafe looked good. I remember some TV ads for them last year. Is the Happy Talk lounge open to the outdoors? Do they do seared Ahi?
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:46 AM

Glimmer,
Polynesian Cafe is great, good food, decent prices, ralaxed outside atmosphere. I also like the Dolphin in Hanalei, no reservations needed, just show up and put your name in if crowded and enjoy a drink outside by the river. Postcards has good, non meat meals, well prepared, gets very busy and not a big place, so make reservations and go there but not if you are in a rush. In Princeville, at Pale Ke Kua, Sabella's has decent food and decent prices. You could also try the Lighthouse Bistro in Kilaeua. Have fun, enjoy.

Kal and friends,
90 Days until I get to get back to this hell hole of the Pacific. It is soooooooooo bad, I am going back for my 19th trip just to make sure it is still as bad. BTW, possibly 1/2 feet of snow prdeicted in Northeast Pennsylvania for this weekend, April 15th...............Now that is GOOD weather, unlike those wimpy pleasant warm breezes and refreshing showers you get on Kauai.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 09:27 AM

LOVED Neide's -- Mexican and Brazilian. The pumpkin/veggie stuffed pancake was my favorite meal on the North Shore. The garlic steak was excellent, too. (We shared them.) It's casual, has outdoor seating available -- and is very reasonably priced.

Loved the views at Princeville -- but not the prices Go and look around for sure -- but I'd eat elsewhere.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM

As a Princeville resident, let me please make some corrections and suggestions. 8-)

Princeville Hotel's buffets are served in Cafe Hanalei, with a choice of dining inside or on the expansive lanai. La Cascata is their "fine dining" restaurant (Italian, specializing in seafood). Reservations are urged, for either restaurant at dinner. Both restaurants have views of Hanalei Bay, the pali (mountains) and Makana (incorrectly called Bali Hai, too often).

Princeville's bar -- The Living Room -- is grand, and has an above-average offering of food. Great sushi!

Sabella's closed down a month ago; owners moved back to the mainland; no word on when (or if) another restaurant will open on that site.

Hanalei Bay Resort has the Bali Hai Restaurant and the Happy Talk Lounge. The lounge offers music every evening at sunset (from jazz to rock to Hawaiian) and a pretty good bar menu. Both have views of the bay and the pali. If you're going to be there after sunset, be sure to wear LOTS of mosquito spray.

CJs Steakhouse in Princeville Center is popular with visitors and locals. Steaks, seafood, prime rib, salad bar, etc. Casual, dinner reservations suggested.

In Hanalei, first restaurant is the Dolphin (steaks, fish), Postcards (vegetarian), Tiki Man Pizza (the usual, plus local favs like kalua pig pizza), WakeUp Cafe (breakfast only; closes at 11a.m.), Hanalei Gourmet (burgers, salads, fish, and bar), Niedes, and BaraCuda (bar, serving pricey tapas). In Ching Young Village you'll find Village Snack Shop (breakfast and lunch only; very popular with those who live here), Pizza Hanalei (be prepared for sticker shock), Polynesia Cafe (truly gourmet food, but served on paper plates; BYOB), the new Kalypso (formerly Zelo's; we haven't been there yet; it's getting mixed reviews), and a Chinese takeout place (formerly Hanalei Plate Lunch -- food is okay).

Drive past Hanalei to the old Charo's place in Ha`ena for great mediterranean food at Mediterranean Gourmet (lunch & dinner; closed Sunday) -- the only on-the-beach restaurant on the northshore. In addition to the falafels and hummus and li'dat, they serve chicken, fresh fish, and gorgeous salads. Belly dancing Friday nights.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Auntiemarie,
I am gone for a year and you close down a few restaurants. Sabella's and Zelo's. They were on my "just OK" list anyway.

Thanbks for the updates.

We'll be back there July 13th for 2 weeks, so let's plan on another GTG at Happy Talk again. Anyone esle there at the same time, please join.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:07 PM

We've always had good food at Bali Hai and love the views from the restaurant. It's on our "must do" list for at least one breakfast and one dinner each trip. We also enjoy the Lighthouse Bistro and Polynesian Cafe. Hukilau Lanai in Kapa'a is great and another "must do". Zelo's was really going downhill the last few years. Hopefully the new name and new management will improve that. Too bad about Sabella's. It's a short walk for us and always a good place to hit on our first night after a long day of traveling.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:16 PM

In Kauai in March and ate lunch at Kalypso's. My husband and I both thought meal was good. Huge portions. We had fish tacos and the fish and chips! Enjoy your trip
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 04:49 PM
lvk

I knew I would think of more.

Auntie, is Tropical Taco still there? It was always so crowded, we never got to try it. We did, however, enjoy the fish tacos and flautas from the truck on Anini Beach.

We also enjoyed Sushi Blues, both the food and the live music.

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Maybe pupus at Happy Talk so we get our view of Bali Hai. Polynesia Cafe sounds good. I remember hearing about a place called Hanalei Mixed Plate. Is that still open? My daughter loves plate lunch places. We actually have a good Hawaiian plate lunch place in our town to serve homesick surfers stuck on the mainland.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:25 AM

lvk: Yes, Tropical Taco is still open (sorry I forgot to mention it in my first post).

glimmer2:
Hanalei Mixed Plate sold; is now a Chinese takeout place. For plate lunch in Hanalei, it's Village Snack Shop in the middle of Ching Young Village. Or if you're in Princeville, Foodland's deli offers plate lunch, custom sandwiches/salads, and fresh yummy sushi.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:31 AM
iceeu2

glimmer, it's not on the North Shore, but Pono Market in Kapaa has wonderful plate lunch.

Auntiemaria told me how great it was. And, again, she was right on.

There's these little pastry things too that they have...what are they called auntie? DH liked the apple and I liked the coconut. We ordered them the night before because the ladies told us they sell out really quickly in the mornings.

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Kealalani

I used to love Tropical Taco until someone suggested it may have been the cause of my curse of the menehune sickness.

Things sure have changed in 8 months! No more pulled pork sandwiches at HMP? I always thought Zelos was such a waste of great real estate. Hopefully the new place will be better.

Fantastic sushi at Livingroom. Great snack makirolls at the Hanalei Dolphin fish market, and decent offerings at Sushi Blues.

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Is Menehune sickness akin to Montazuma's revenge?
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:47 AM

iceeu2:
Those wonderful pastries are manju -- a Japanese treat that I adore (apply directly to hips and be done with it!!) Another source of them is the little market in Lawai; flakier crust, but equally sinful...

glimmer2:
Call it whatever you want -- tainted food can ruin a perfectly good vacation, for sure!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Auntie, yes tainted food can ruin a vacation for sure. Gotta pack that Immodium.
I have a weird theory that if you drink alchohal e.i. rum drinks, you'll kill any possible lurking bacteria. That doesn't help my daughter much though, so I'll try to stay clear of nasty food. I have a friend that lives in Koloa and she's filled me in on restaurants that I might want to avoid.
I love seared Ahi, but I'm always careful to get it at places that have a good turnover of food.

I'm getting so excited about our trip I can't stand it!
The night before we leave we have tickets to see The Police. I hope my system can handle the happiness!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:16 AM

The restaurant suggestions for the North Shore seem great, can anyone add a similar list for the Poipu area too?
glimmer2, you mentioned some that you would try again in Poipu, I would love to get some names. Thanks.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi excited,
In Poipu we liked the Beach House a lot. It's the type of place you save for that "special" dinner. We sat at a window table in the lounge area and it was wonderful.
We also like Keoki's. It was a bit touristy, but hey we're tourists. We sat in the bar and ordered off that menu. The Ono sandwich was ono. For a cheapo meal we liked Puka Dog but some people don't like it at all. Maybe split one and decide if you like them. We also liked Plantation Gardens alot.

We didn't care too much for Brennecke's. The service was great but the food was blah. We also didn't like Tropical Burger too much. Everything was dry. We didn't try Roy's because we have one have one near home, but we may try it this time... Wait I just paid the vet $550 to pull my cat's tooth. We might have to eat every meal at Puka Dog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -