NJ Transit, Airport question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'm trying to figure out why when the Newark Airport is just one short stop from Newark Penn that the price for a single ticket between the two is $ 8.50 for an adult and $ 6.85 for a senior. (normally senior tickets are less than half the price of an adult ticket on NJ Transit, by the way). At the same time if you buy a ticket from New Brunswick to Newark Penn (a much longer journey, but yet it will normally stop at Newark Airport) the tickets are $ 9.75 for an adult (yes that makes sense -- a little more) but they are only $4.35 for a senior. And even better, from Metropark to Newark Penn (also with a stop at the airport) the tickets are $ 6.50 for an adult but only $3.00 for a senior. Why on earth is the senior ticket more than twice as much for a shorter journey, and even the adult ticket is cheaper for the longer distance? I thought this might be a mistake, but have checked on the NJ transit and confirmed those prices as well as on the NJ Transit "My Tix" app where I normally buy the tickets. I've sent an email asking about this to NJ Transit, but it's been three days and I haven't heard. The whole point is can't I just buy tickets from Metropark to Newark Penn for the two of us (one adult, one senior) but get on at the Airport and save almost $6) Surely when they chick our tickets on my phone between Newark Airport and Newark Penn and see we have valid tickets from Metropark to Newark Penn there will be no problem, right? Or am I missing something? Isn't the Air Train from a terminal to the rail station at the airport free? Or is there a charge for that which is
somehow is included if you buy a ticket from the airport station to Newark Penn?
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Oops. Never mind. I discovered there is a $5.50 charge for the Airtrain which is included in he NJ transit price. So it all makes sense. Meanwhile I’d delete this thread if I could figure out how.

Last edited by NeoPatrick; Apr 23rd, 2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 09:20 AM

Don't delete it - it's good to know!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 02:17 PM
J62

Here at home we chalk these up to senior moments...ymmv