Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NJ or NY (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nj-or-ny-572028/)

lynn100 Nov 20th, 2005 12:46 PM

NJ or NY

Some say you get more for your money NJ side and getting into NY easy.

I have been pricing Hyatt on the Hudson and Doubletree NJ (near Hudson) both on PATH lines I beleive - they are coming out as expensive as Millenium Hilton for instance - I want to be based downtown or NJ side for 1 night on 4 Oct 2006. Does anyone recommend how to get best price and from where?

What's your thoughts on those 3 hotels? Thanks

Nikki Nov 20th, 2005 01:48 PM

If you are planning to spend time in New York city, and you can get the Millenium Hilton for the same price as hotels in New Jersey, I don't see why you wouldn't stay in New York. I stayed at the Millenium Hilton last weekend and it was fine. Nice room, good amenities. Not sure what more you would get for your money in New Jersey.

nytraveler Nov 20th, 2005 03:01 PM

Yes you will get more for your money in NJ - most of the time.

How easy it will be to get into the city depends on:

exactly where you're coming from

exactly where you're going to

what method/route you use

time of year, time of day and day of week

weather

accidents

the will of god

I've had it take me more than 2.5 hours to get through the Lincoln Tunnel (some idiot truck driver tried to get one too high through the tunnel even thought it was cleaarly marked)

But - it you want to be in the city why stay in NJ - unless $ is the absolute controlling factor?

GoTravel Nov 21st, 2005 06:26 AM

No, if you want to visit NYC, don't stay in New Jersey.

The hotels in New Jersey that have the easiest commute aren't that much cheaper than Manhattan hotels.

mclaurie Nov 21st, 2005 12:02 PM

Since you're looking for almost a year from now, the rates you're being quoted online may not be accurate. What is it you're coming to do Lynn?

It's true the NJ hotels with easiest commute are often the same price as some of the Manhattan hotels.

The Millenium Hilton is usually a great value because of it's financial area/downtown location which is not as convenient for the average tourist.

This far in advance, decide where you want to stay and phone them and negotiate a price. Or book something that's cancelleable now and wait til closer to see if there are any promotions available on travelzoo or whether you can get something on Priceline.

The 4* hotels in the downtown/financial district. area on Priceline are the Mill. Hilton, 60 Thompson, Tribeca Grand and Soho Grand. Unless you HAVE to be further downtown, I'd be happy at any of these.

Someone posted on biddingfortravel they got the Mill. Hilton for $200 for Nov. 11 and were only successful 4 days before their trip.

wliwl Nov 21st, 2005 04:30 PM

By the time you've paid to get in and out of NYC you will have not saved any substantial money. Find a hotel you can afford in NYC and have a great trip.