Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > NJ/NY Fodorites - Looking for a little help for a GTG

NJ/NY Fodorites - Looking for a little help for a GTG

Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

NJ/NY Fodorites - Looking for a little help for a GTG

I'm looking at setting up a NJ/NY Get Together (GTG) Luncheon on 30 October. I need some recommendations for a nice restaurant that would be convenient to both areas with the following criteria:

-- A BYOB restaurant.

-- Near Public transportation if possible.

I'm thinking Jersey City/Hoboken area, but open to any suggestions. I'm just not familiar with places in Northern NJ. Any ideas?

Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:25 PM

Hmmm. Budman, since you're looking for a BYOB restaurant does that mean you're bringing that Nobile you just brought home?
If so, I need to consider that American Airlines $118 round trip I just found from Ft. Lauderdale to New York!
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:26 PM

Hello darlin

We met friends in Ridgewood NJ at a couple of places that were really nice and BYOB..
not sure if they are good for you, since they are not right by the city and not sure if they are open for lunch..but give it a try if you want, they are excellent.
Cafe Panache
130 E. Main St.
Ramsey, NJ 07446
201-934-0030

La Tour in Ridgewood also, don't have the address or number.
I will ask my Jersey Pal and see if she can give me some ideas .. she never cooks
Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, I brought back a case of the Nobile, and when I placed it in my wine cellar I could hear little whispers about needing to age a couple of more years, but I do have some other "special" stuff.

Scarlett, thanks.

Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Bumping for the Sunday AM crew.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:10 AM

I would love to go to the GTG, but Jersey is a hike for someone from Long Island! (First the LIRR, then NJ Transit or Path Train?) Maybe somewhere near Penn Station would be good, this way everyone has access? But I don't know if any place by Penn Station is BYOB!!
Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:14 PM
jtp

La Tour in Ridgewood is a great location it is at the train terminal - also in Ridgewood, more low key (fun) is Malibu Joel -- The Vilalge Green is also reopen -- all within a block to the train and subway
www.egullet.com will also have great suggestions
Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:20 PM

Is the restaurant at the ferry in Weehauken still good? Arthurs I think is the name? Although I don't know if it is BYOB..but it is so convenient to the city.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:14 PM
jtp

Weehawken restaurants such as the Chart House, Ruth Chris Steak H ouse are very good, not too far into Edgewater is Rebeccas and Sabbo's--Franks gets mixed reviews.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:18 PM

I remember Rebeccas, Cuban , right?
It must have changed there a lot since last year when we were there last
Budman, how many people do you think will show?
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:59 PM

Scarlett, you're thinking of Arthur's Landing in Weehawken near the Ferry. Nice place, still there but not BYOB, and expensive, not that that's necessarily a problem.

Ridgewood has horrendous parking, but lots of great restaurants.

I think Budman's thoughts of Hoboken/Jersey City are good, since NYC Fodorites could take the PATH train fairly easily to get there with no driving required.

Will give it some further thought overnight. Just got home from LBI, and DH somehow convinced me to drive!
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:06 AM

Can't help with NJ, but the Zagat Guide for NY lists quite a few byo places. A number are in Brooklyn or Queens, a bunch in the city are described as very small or limited seating, but one that may interest you is Pam Real Thai Food at 404 w 49th betw 9th-10th. The food is rated a 23 which is very good.
Oct 4th, 2004, 07:19 AM

In Jersey City, South City Grill is a fun place, but not BYO. Great menu & drinks, cool decor. http://www.southcitygrill.com/

In Hoboken, Margherita's on Washington Street is good & BYO. About a 10 minute walk from the Path station. http://www.vitosdeli.com/Margherita/Dinner/Dinner.htm Casual, relaxed atmosphere.

Oct 4th, 2004, 10:58 AM

ttt
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

tpatricco, Margherita's sounds like it might work. I've been trying to get in contact with them, but no response at either Margherita's or Vito's down the street. Maybe they are closed on Mondays. I'll try again tonight or tomorrow to see how many people they can accommodate.

Thanks for topping. I missed your post.
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Budman, they may be closed on Mondays. I haven't eaten there myself, but know people who have that say it's good. It's also been there for many years & is ususally crowded so think it's a decent bet that the food is good and reasonable.

I'm also checking in to another place in Weehawken thats BYO that a friend of mine wants to try out. She says the chef was formerly Bruce Springsteen's personal chef. I'll pass along the details when I get them. Trish
Oct 4th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Trish, I think that restaurant might be Paula at Rigoletto. I'm waiting to contact them tomorrow to see if they serve lunch on a Saturday.

I certainly appreciate your help. I'm trying to pin down a place before I announce the GTG on both the Europe and US boards.

mclaurie, I know my wife would vote for the Thai restaurant, but I'm just concerned with parking for those that might be driving.

Keep those cards & letters coming!!!
Oct 5th, 2004, 05:50 AM

Budman, that's the place! I recognized the name as soon as I saw it on your post. We're going there for dinner on the 23rd, but would be glad to do a lunch there too the following week!

Trish
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Trish,

I talked with Paula, and she will open up for us on Saturday for lunch.

Do you think that will be convenient for everybody?

Search this Thread